1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bore polishing - what's your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by john0neuk, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Bit of a member

2. hmangphilly

Ooooooooh

loooooooooooook

spooooooooooooooooooky

IMG_2484.JPG

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Or fix up an RD...

4. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Who's Ena Sharples ? must be before my time :p:D:D

5. hmangphilly

Don't give me that .

She's top northern totty as well you know .
    If your'e telling me you ain't seen Ena Sharples and and thought ...

"Eee by gum . Aye up chuck and where's me whippet ."

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs and eat my flat cap

Waldo likes this.
  6. hmangphilly

Bronze brush is pretty hard core John

Even autosol is scratchy
    Absolutely only want to go back and forth deffo no rotation or will mark the bore .

Had a little go with some blue vfg ? Paste .,,,, it seemed rather hand bag .

Nag at rob to bring his scope up and we'll shove things stuff up various holes and take a few pics .

....,or am I on the wrong forum again

Waldo likes this.
  7. hmangphilly

Not really bore polishing but , gonna be doing something over on here ..............

Lead in

8. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Hi Phil,

Yes a bit radical I suppose but felt had nothing to lose. Interesting point re scratchy, hard core etc. Back in the day I was a marine engineer, being a Junior I had the wonderful job of grinding and lapping injector discs for routine maintenance on the diesel generators - we used various grades of grinding past then lapped in on surface plates. We aspired to a finish that was matt, and would friction lock on a surface plate when you slide it across it - the pastes we used were way coarser than the polishing compound I use and I would imagine autosol as well.

Obviously never put the discs under a microscope post lapping but their job was to give a mechanical sealing face for high pressure diesel and seem to do the job if done correctly. Just wondering in reality what damage a bronze brush and also finishing with a very fine rubbing compound like autosol or a 3m equivalent to t Cut that I used against stainless or carbon steel really does do. Nor really how much the surface finish would affect a malleable lead pellet traveling down a bore. Agree the quality of lead in finish is a target area - but never really understood how a crown affects a pellet as much as it can, that's an area of ballistic science I haven't a clue on.

9. hmangphilly

Sometimes . I adopt the approach of how would i go about messing a component up . Or what would i do to rob's gun to mess with his head ?

It currently seems to me that as far as a barrel is concerned ,

Poor or rough internal surface finish would be a good start for self sabotage . Even if outwardly every thing seemed in order , ( nice breech , great crown ) I would guess that the rate of lead build up would become a problem .

I am no expert but this would seem to be born out by certain steyr barrels that lose their internal finish .

10. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

I'd just like to point out that my brass brush/ carbon fibre rod rotate as the brush is moved along the barrel. I suspect it follows the lands more and is probably no where near as invasive as people think. Dan (Mitigator) has commented above that he's struggling to get his to group at all so he's now got a CZ barrel from Warren to try. I'm going to take his old barrel away and give it some luurrvv with the brash bruash and autosol. I will report back but i'll need Dan to shoot some groups with the old barrel first......not sure if he's swapped barrels over yet.

john0neuk likes this.
  11. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Chris,

Whatever I can do to bottom this I will! CZ barrel is fitted but I can put the old one back on for some testing whenever .....

I’m going to need a big target.

Dan

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  12. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

No worries Dan, not sure if you're at the club this Fri?....i'm at the shooting show on sat so that's out and we've got Keighley this Sunday.