1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bore polishing - what's your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by john0neuk, Dec 6, 2017.

1. oyster

oyster Member

Club:
    Canterbury Airgun Club
    The popular commercial test for ultrasonic baths is to suspend aluminium foil (Baco foil) at 30mm intervals into the solution. If the ultrasonic is effective, it will puncture the foil. Undamaged foil reveals defective transducers.

2. oyster

oyster Member

Club:
    Canterbury Airgun Club
    Certain barrels are finished with an anodise, which can plate the bore as well as the exterior. It will cause significant wild target results.
    Great improvement has been achieved by careful use of a brass brush on these bores.

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Got a candidate for the polishing.

Just had a look down the barrel that was used in the wet last weekend. It had a quick shoot through with felts to keep any moisture out after the shoot and it was cleaned down that afternoon, but I wanted to see if there was anything that had got inside the barrel so I got the scope out. There was some surface rust outside of the crown but no where near it, and nothing in the bore at all which was clean.

However there's a X hatch of scratches all the way up the barrel, 1000's of them, not really deep, but a noticeable finish of shallow angle cross hatching. Seeing as I clean all my barrels the same and this is a new gun to my collection, bought 2nd hand, I'm guessing someone had a bronze brush or something similar up and down the thing. My other barrels are not showing anything like this which rules out me screwing felts onto the end of the VFG rod which is the only other idea i've had as to how they could appear.

So this will be getting some action with the VFG paste (when I can find it) and see if it helps or not. I'll keep looking down the thing and shooting it and seeing if it makes any difference in either looks or performance.

4. Rich3344

Rich3344 Member

I've seen spiral scratches in the bore on my Steyr barrel. Very fine though. I think it's too regular to be something done by cleaning tools.

5. RobF

Club:
    I'll see if i can take a pic :)

6. RobF

Club:
    Had a go with VFG paste on an offcut bit of barrel. It had some micro scratching on it and I wanted to see what concentrating on a small area would yield using the borescope for inspection.

Well, I really think there’s naff all chance of wearing a barrel out with vfg. Apart from making it shiny it did nothing that I could see. In the end the only thing that did was autosol which took considerable effort to gain any ground on light scratches put in by a bit of scotchbrite cloth. Whoever said they don’t scratch barrels was wrong. They won’t damage the rifling but they certainly will scratch the surface.

I’ll see if I can find a barrel that needs ‘leading up’. All mine are on song within 1-2 pellets so I can only assume the lead coats the barrel and possibly fills in microscratches or just provides a slicker surface. So will scope up a barrel that runs well before and after a clean and see what difference there is.

castle likes this.
  7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Bit of a member

Oooooh
    a new word ...........

Microscratches .

.............we like that .

You can tell when The Great Leader's barrel is on song , ....................he don't swear so much :D

Waldo likes this.
  8. RobF

Club:
    tomorrow will tell :D

9. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    Just caught up on this thread

I’ve an lg100 which I’ve worked out needs a regular barrel clean after every shoot - I think.

Is this something that will get gradually worse over time or does it stabilise.....

10. hmangphilly

Sorry to disappoint Dan .

I don't think they often heal themselves .

I have heard of remedial actions , but have no experience of them ............i think it involves scrubbing

11. mitigator

mitigator Dan Smith

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I’ve been back in this sport for only a couple of seasons ( after a bit of plinking / hunting 25 yrs ago ) seems to me the whole thing is total witchcraft.

Why isn’t there a definite answer for anything!!

Why can’t steyr who must have sold 1000s of FT/HFT riles say - we have designed our barrels to perform in this way, because XXX, this is what you should expect - this is the specific spec of your barrel and to get the best out of them you need to do XYZ - after lots of testing we reccomend you clean them with ABC every DEF shots...

12. RobF

Club:
    There's a lot of voodoo going around yes. Which is why I (we) tend to try and measure and document what is actually real to the best of our abilities. That way people can make their own choice.

13. what barn door

what barn door Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    And some very note worthy things being spotted. I love the finish that Phil is now acheiving on crowns and lead-in's but will it make any difference at all? I can't see how as the pellet doesn't touch it and very little effect on air flow if any, still it's a great bit of grinding or honing or whatever.

14. RobF

Club:
    The aim was to finish the ends of the lands as cleanly as possible without burr, and same with the lead in. 45 degree lead ins are quite easy but the shallower you go the more you get the material moving over the trailing edge of the land. So a different technique needs to be employed. It just so happens it makes a shiny finish as well :D

15. what barn door

what barn door Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    Ah yes got ya. I use a ground down rifling file to tidy up the lands on mine (if they need it), I haven't looked at either lead-in or crown under a microscope but I know the finish is no match to those that Phil has done.

16. RobF

Club:
    The closer you look the worse it gets. There's something to be said for stopping looking and just shooting, but where's the fun in that? :D

17. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    And also what would you two do without all the theorising and experimental work ?
    Stop in and watch Emmerdale and Corrie :eek: :D?

18. what barn door

what barn door Member

Club:
    Kingsley
    I love the genuine and methodical approach, along with honesty that Rob and Phil, etal are making. I made a tool that would slightly flair out the pellet skirt, my thought being that maybe that would improve things. No real improvement but I did notice no flyers from the test batch that I did.

19. hmangphilly

I would if they had a machine shop in the Rovers Return and Ena Sharples was a ballistic genius

Waldo likes this.
  20. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    Do you have an answer for everything Phil :D