bolt action or side lever

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by vinny, Nov 25, 2015.

1. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    Just like to hear peoples views on pros and cons for either ,
    Seems to me most top end guns are sidelever , I,ve had both and tbh dont like bolt action as its costed me points in the past by accidentally lifting the bolt with the back of my hand as you get comfortable on the close elevated shots we all enjoy :D
    Some new guns have HUGE bolt ends as an after market add on and my mind boggles why , would like to hear peoples opinions,

2. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Simples, if you dont like bolts, use a side lever.:lev

3. vinny

vinny WHFTA 2015 World Champion

Club:
    M.A.D
    And the pros and cons of each being....:rolleyes:

4. Tench

Tench WHFTA World Champion 2016.

A side lever usually has a much more positive lock as the mechanism goes over centre so the firing cycle actually locks it in tighter where as a bolt as you have said can lift and open upon firing. I have seen this happen on a well used bolt action from wear and tear.

5. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    Vinny

I am with you side lever for me. I don't know but bolts always seem to me to bind a little I think it is that the turning moment is higher so making the bolt come back binding on the left side for me as a righty. Its the reason I let the Wolverine go!
    Side lever or variations on a theme like the Ani and Walther etc has mechanical advantage and just seems smoother and easier to me - on any of the rifles I have had with one, and I have had a few now!
    The only exception is the bolt on my Air wolf which is actually and electrical switch really I think so I super light and super slick as it would be.
    So side arm lever or similar gets my vote.
    kr

6. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I prefer a side lever BUT a very well engineered & manufactured bolt like on a Ripley is a pleasure to use! :D

7. DEAN C.

DEAN C. Steyr Convert

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I really like the side levers on my EV2 and Steyr for HFT as they are positive and I like the direct pellet to barrel loading, they do give you confidence for comps.

But, I shot my 2 MPR's and 2 GML 400's for the last 7 or 8 years years and never had a problem, but I do make sure that they run silky smooth by polishing and burnishing Teflon into them. My NJR is pure quality with the swan neck bolt too.

Just to throw a spanner in, I also love and do prefer my GML bolt actioned 410 carbine for any hunting though, and I think that is where the bolt actions come into there own. Fast cycling the mag without looking away from the scope, and with less hand and arm movement to scare any vermin. But for a pure hunting gun, a well set up bolt is quicker and more natural to me, but they must have a positive lock down and be silky smooth.

I like both!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. si7777777

si7777777 New Member

Club:
    The Oaks
    I agree that there is less chance to knock a side lever before a shot.
    However, sidelevers mean a large opening in the side of the action to let dust/crud and rain in.
    si