Boinger hold sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Tips, tricks and tutorials' started by MickyFinn, Jun 7, 2015.

1. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Does tuning a springer to be fast & snappy or the soft & smooth route make make a springer less hold sensitive (without putting a MASSIVE ft stock on it)?

2. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Both ways need to have a soft and precise hold!
    Try to bully one and you will regret it, :D snappy or not. ;),
    HERX77 .

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    My 97 is lazy, and isn't hold sensitive... perhaps it just fits me well...

my tx is also a lazy cycling rifle, and is really hold sensitive. I'm hoping short stroking and making the rifle fit better with the new stock will solve that, otherwise the worlds are going to be very hard work.

That said, 'we' might have an idea where the 97's shift is coming from, and it could make sense as to why another rifle with some tuning mods fitted did the same. There's common ground and something has been spotted...

4. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Rob, my guns are exactly the same as yours, the 97 not fussy at all, the tx, very fussy, I have to let it ride in the forearm and hardly grip it at all.

WBD

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    I've heard that tx200's were a bit hold sensitive BUT the ex Dave Martin one I shot wasn't (or didn't seem so) but was set up VERY snappy & FAST! ;) I've got a "soft" 77k but was toying with setting the full length 77 I've got with a similar "feel" to the snappy tx:p?

6. RobF

Club:
    I'm working with a knee pad which now seems to show the butt position is critical for me. But at least now I can be assured of a more consistent hold up front because the only one that worked for me was to sandwich my left middle finger between stock and knee and make sure nothing else touched underneath.

I'll see how the gubbins change goes next week and report back.

Sorting the trigger did help though. I hit 4/4 positionals Sunday. Sadly I missed 5/16 sitters though and many at gimme ranges.

7. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Rob....when I had the standard mk3 internals in my tx, The difference from sitting shots to standing shots was -20 clicks to hit what I was aiming at standing, now with the ally piston and mk2 spring zero is the same as my sitting shots, untill you change the internals your just wasting your time :) doesn't matter if I hold the gun really tight or really gentle now...the point of impact is the same...mk3 internals ruin the tx:rolleyes:

8. RobF

Club:
    That's good to know. I'm getting the works internals dropped in after millride.

At least the tx is easy to work on.

9. Dale

Dale Active Member

It is probably fairer to say Mk3 intenrals running at 12 ft.lbs ruin the TX.

At the power they are designed to operate at the gun handles somewhat better.

10. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    From your two options I would have to say fast and snappy, after many months of trial and error trying various options fitting Nick Gibney's ally short stroke kits in my TX's has well and truly transformed them. Sight picture movement is virtually zero!, about as close to a PCP as you can get with a springer :)

11. herx77

herx77 Member

Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I find with all the fiddling, tuneing, adding bits etc synthetics, you can't seem to better the standard tune set up we did at Markyate in the 1987 to 1990.This was using Abbey lubs and no synthetic collars on piston.
    The major improvement I find was in the shooter,and the amount of quality learning practice done,
    HW97's out of the box are capable of suprising results compared to a fully fettled gun of the same model,Top rank shooters will feel the difference a full on work out on the gun and its effect on their confidence, something someone on a lower experience level will not necessary be aware of.
    Some guns are hold sensitive, but in general I find most problems are due to too tight a hold,as a gun will recoil, and you cannot stop it just allow it to flow in a linear fashion.
    HERX77 .

12. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    I have to agree with you regarding learning, maintaining and practising an appropriate hold technique with a springer. However, having a sight picture which stays still on the target allowing you to see your pellet flight and strike point is a major benefit for target shooting. Using Nick G's short stroke ally pistons in my TX's has completely transformed them in this respect, very close to a PCP for the lack of sight picture movement.

13. herx77

herx77 Member

Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I have had no problems with following the pellet trajectory on any of my springers.This is with or without fettling.Possibly it is due to the way you watgh the flight;not trying to follow the pellet but become aware of the movement of the pellet in the sight picture,something the eyes are very good at.This was the technique fighter pilots used in combat,don't try to see the target be aware of the movement.It works.:D
    HERX77 .