BMW 330d

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by 5teve L, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Anyone got any info about these cars, anything to watch for, do they really give 40mpg+ etc.
    Just thinking ahead as my Mitsubishi Evo may have to go at some point, 66 miles to 20 litres of fuel = not being able to go any distance without knowing where all the petrol stations are :D
    I'm going to get it re-mapped 1st to see if I can make it a 'little' more economical but if not later this year it will have to go ....
    Think I may be getting old :( I'm thinking about a more economical car....

Steve

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i've got a 330d touring, the older e46 shape.

it will do 40mpg if i stick the cruise control on something sensible, else it comes up just shy. However, that's normally assessed over mixed roads... if i do a solid motorway jaunt i get a tad better.

out of a 60L i reckon it will do 700 miles, but normally I see around 600.

chipping apparently helps.

and it has bags of torque and although it's no evo, it will catch people out who think it's some sluggish estate.

3. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    What year is yours Rob, thats the shape I'm after I think, 2001>
    Just not sure how much more 'filtering' of cash I can do to hide the poor MPG of the Evo from the wife :D

4. RobF

Club:
    mines an 04...

5. RobF

Club:
    one thing to look out for Steve... the early ones had a different engine and lower power than the later ones... not sure when the crossover was, but I think i'm right in say that if it has a 6 speed manual box (assuming you're not going auto) then it's the later more pokey engine.

6. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Yeah I think it's 2002 on, can't remember.... I really want to keep the evo but the MPG is killing me TBH, or at least it will be if the wife gets an idea of how much I stick in it a week :D

7. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Its a tarts car get a Jaaaaaaaag :p:p:D:D:D

8. RobF

Club:
    was like that with the JCW mini, especially shoving the expensive stuff in... it was a lovely thing for driving like it was stolen, but considering I banged in 200L to get from bournemouth to bisley to scotland and back, it becomes refershing to think that I might get there and back on 90L.

9. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Look up the inlet manifold swirl flap issue. Thing of nightmares! For £400 notes replace it when you buy one at leasts that's what I did on the 320d.

10. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

For goodness sake DONT BUY A SUBARU!!!!

LAity

11. RobF

Club:
    heard about that before charlie, do bmw do it?

12. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Been there, done that, I think the Evo is actually worse on MPG Rog :eek:
    Like I say I'll see if a slight tweak in the map will give better MPG, I'll be happy with 20 MPG with lead foot & 350bhp :D

13. LAity

LAity Goed Geschoten

I know the feeling, mine is 400bhp and its as if someone has shot the petrol tank out:eek:, i would be better off with a Range Rover HSE diesel for sure!!! I am looking at the moment for something that's quick BUT maybe returns a bit of fuel economy.Not sure what to get. Good luck with your quest buddy,its a horrid task getting rid of something fast and getting something NOT!!!!

LAity

14. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Yeah I know, thats why I was looking at the 330d, a small tweak & you can have the torque & MPG, yeah it's no Evo or Subaru but it doesn't care what fuel you put in & it still feels pokey, but then is it better the devil you know & just put up with it.....

15. CharlieM

CharlieM Spring Time

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Yep. Seems to be partly due to the type of driving and if you do lowish miles in stop start then you can get coke build up though the newer oil breather reduces it. The chunks of coke get drawn up into the inlet hit the swirl flaps which are on pathetic little pins and rivets and then they dislodge and get taken into the engine. Rest is self explanitory seems to nearly always result in an engine write off. Huge thread on BMW forum about it. There seems to be a newer version of the manifold with slightly upgraded flaps some people have removed the flaps as they are only there to swirl the air up as goes in. Seems that I is so common that replacement engines can be hard to come by. BMW have assisted with labour fees in some instances and it seems that they know there is an issue but aren't going down the recall route for obvious reasons.

Place I bought mine (indie dealer) had had it happen to a customer and they had to replace the engine under warranty. I decided for piece of mind to get a new manifold and oil breather on purchase. I'm doing about 30+k a year on Mways so that probably helps too.

16. RobF

Club:
    ah, ok, i do a lot of short stuff in the week, then long at the weekend ;)

got a year of warranty, but might look to the fix once that's near end... ta :)