Black or Green Port for Steyr ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by sjburgon, Nov 22, 2011.

1. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Hi All, I have seen someone chasing a black port for a Steyr on the breeze and wondered if someone could explain the benefits over the green to me. Ive just had the power adjuster fitted on mine with Harry Preston as it was running a bit high and he fitted a new Green Port while it was in and all seems well with no real noticable difference. I still have the black port that was originally fitted. I was told that although the shot count is slightly less with the green port that the groupings should be a little tighter. I am far from being an expert on these matters but thought I would ask for other users views and experiences. As far as I can tell its just an Alan key fitting to swap the black and the green over so are there any benefits to going black ....... And I know it surely wont affect my scores before anyone else says it but every little helps... Thanks Si

2. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Hi Si, know a lot of shooters switch to the black TP as they were getting fed up of only having 50 - 60 shots from a 190 bar fill.

I would like to know if you do see any tighter groups when testing though as, for the life of me, can't see how that is possible.

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Remove the Green one & measure the hole, the Silver are approx 4mm, it's easy enough to drill them out

4. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Hi, Havent really noticed any improvement or worsening of groups , but to be honest i am not the best shot in the world. I was told by harry that they did a number of bench tests which involved changing the port while the rifle stayed on the bench in position and that there was some improvement. If anyone else could shed a light on this it would be interesting to know.
    Si

5. Bob

Bob New Member

I'm not familiar with the green port, but the silver port is 2.5mm, and the black port is 4.4mm.
    There is also a gold port to convert the rifle to 7.5 Joules (not sure how big the hole is, but I guess it's about 1.5mm).
    Are you sure the green port isn't a silver port with a green O-ring?

Anyway, the silver port gives about 60 shots (as Chris said), and the black gives about 110 shots.

On grouping, I haven't noticed any difference at all, and the shot to shot consistency is about the same (2-3fps with weighed pellets).

I find it strange that the testing was done from a bench rest, just by swapping the ports out, without also reducing the power (to under 12fpe). I'm assuming that Harry would have also adjusted the power as well as swapping the ports.
    Just swapping the ports will make a significant difference to power output, and as the Steyr is more accurate in the mid 11's, then swapping the port to black without also adjusting the power to mid 11's would obviously affect the accuracy.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  6. sjburgon

sjburgon Member

Club:
    Pontefract ( P.A.R.C)
    Thanks for the reply

The test wasnt done on my rifle by harry but by steyr in there factory. I was told the new port fitted was 3mm?

It would seem that the the answer to my question is more shots from the black and noone has really noticed any difference in accuracy.

I did wonder if this was a way of reducing the maximum power achievable as with the green port my rifle wont turn up .... beyond 12flb which is obviusly a good thing where as with the black on the chrono it can be turned to over 12..... makes no odds to me though as i usually set it at around 11.2 which begs another question which is what do other people set theres to...

Simon