Bisley

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Strokebloke, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    I've booked a tent pitch at Bisley, for the night of 22nd/23rd.
    I'll get there on the Saturday; mid to late morning. Pitch my tent at 1 o'clock. Then I've got the rest of the day to wander around Bisley and savour the place. Find my way around. Have a look at the ranges and facilities.
    That way, there'll be no rush on the Sunday morning.
    I'll clear my pitch before the start, and gently drive home when it's over. :)
    The prospect of a good weekend. Much to see. Much to learn. And I'm looking forward to meeting some of you splendid people from Shooting the Breeze.
    I must remember to look out for the 'good-looking-one', with or without the pearly hat. :D

Jack

2. mr dink

mr dink Member

Club:
    oldham
    Keep a lookout for the LARGE gentleman when the beer is all gone. or when it,s being consumed for that matter.

3. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Will do Mr D. Though the implication of your suggestion is that there will be only one LARGE gentleman present. Is that correct ? :D

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Watch

Keep a watch out for farnworth , a dodgy spring gun shooter ( he claims ) you will know him by his furtive look and ripped jeans . probably try to sell you some timeshare:):cool: . shop wise there is the NRA shop and Fultons . excellent . down by the pistol ranges there is a cafe so you can slake your thirst . but it a good walk around so take your time .see you there ??? HOLLY
    PS signed , the good looking one .:D:eek:

5. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Holly, I would, on a serious note, appreciate your wisdom and opinion.

I have watched a number of GP standard Field Target shoots on video.
    I have also watched some of the World series Field Target competitions, again on video.
    Having done so, I am very seriously considering contacting Lyn Calvert and asking her to remove my name from the entry list - so that the place is available to someone proficient at shooting at this level.
    What is indisputably clear is that I am not.
    The chances of me getting into any sort of respectable double figures, is quite slim.
    I am concerned about holding up people who may have the misfortune to be assigned to shoot with me.
    I have never shot a competition before. And even had I done so, I would not have participated in one which inherently exerted such pressure to perform. The potential for great embarrassment is considerable :eek:
    And at that level of event, my entry would be on a par with a Dartmoor pony at the Grand National at Aintree.

In the interests of the significance of the event, and the participation of the people worthy of a place in it, I feel that it would be wise to retract my entry.

I still intent to attend. And follow the programme that I have described, with the sole revision of being a spectator, rather than a participant. I suspect that I will probably learn infinitely more by simply observing and listening, than I would if I participated.

Your comment and advice would be sincerely appreciated. :)

Jack

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. clubshot

clubshot Member

Re Camping Bisley - Many places Camping allowed -
    Where have you booked your Space -

Not a lot around in Evening - Middlesex Club house is normally a good place for meet & Drink

Jenny's for breakfast -

Not many local Shops around Camp - So stock up before arrival -

And do not forget midge spray - as the Bisley Midge is well known to Regulars :eek:

And have a good weekend -

BOB/R

7. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Hello Bob. I'm booked in to Inns of Court 17. Wherever &/or whatever that is :)

Thank you for the info and advice.
    Midge spray was not down on my list of essentials. It has now been added. Thank you. :D

Jack

8. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Please don't withdraw your entry on the basis of embarrassing yourself...plenty of us do that week in week out :). The old cliché of 'It's the taking part that counts' applies here.....and you have to start somewhere, Bisley is as good a place as any. I look forward to seeing you there...with a gun in hand on the starting line.

Steve

9. aitchuk

aitchuk Member

Club:
    redfearns
    Jack you have booked in so shoot the comp

With the excepion of 1 or 2 (if you are unlucky) even in a comp your shooting
    partners will help you out especialy as you are a newby on the circuit

Also you will learn more shooting one comp than watching dozens

Every body had to shoot thier first comp though most of us chickened out and
    did it in a winter league not a GP :rolleyes:

Just enjoy the day and absorbe as much as possible

Aitch (to old and kna**ered)

10. pauljv

pauljv Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    As steve says he embarrasses hiself on a weekly basis :D :D :D Everyone has to start somewhere so best advice given and received is just have a go and don't worry about the score

11. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Do you know, one gentleman, I know held in high regard on the forum, has suggested that if it's possible he and Holly will partner me around the course.
    I'm going to sleep on it. A fresh mind, on a new day often helps, I find.
    In the meantime, thank you all, for your splendid generosity and encouragement.

Jack

12. clubshot

clubshot Member

Jack, If you want a Warm up Shoot - Lea Valley has a Club HFT Shoot this Saturday

Where many of those you meet @ Bisley will be practising -

www.lvagc.com

BOB/R

13. clubshot

clubshot Member

14. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Any one that suggests you shoot with Holly should not be held in high regard, but asked are they happy to shoot with Bell Tooth himself!

Holly ain't that bad really, full of old tricks, never talks untill he can see you feather the trigger then pipes up something like "oh the wind just changed" lol.
    He really does know all the tricks lol:D

Having said that, if you have ear plugs or are partially deaf he is very good company on a shoot.

As others have said, you will learn bugger all really unless shooting so get yourself on the line. Ask Lyndeen for good company and perhaps she will allocate your lane to include Holly and someone who knows what they are doing lol:D
    Dont be afraid of your score. My first gp in 2006 was at Tawd vale, I hit the first 10, then only hit 7 out of the next 40:eek:

Otherwise that ugly bird avitar, which as it happens strikes a canny resemblance to Holly, shall have to be changed for a Chicken (non Tn variety):p

Hope to see you there and perhaps get you on to the photo files?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  15. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Unfortunately this Saturday is booked Bob - otherwise I would be there. Thanks for the kind offer. :)

I have this map printed off. Along with reams of other paperwork from Bisley & BFTA.
    All of which I have been reading furiously. :D

16. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    I have spent much of my working life immersed in physics and mathematical equations.
    And it is obvious that all of your encouragement to participate on the 23rd, is at least = to or > than my trepidation at the thought of doing so.
    And given that you all appear to agree that I will learn more from participating than from spectating, it seems obvious even to me, that there is only one viable course of action open to me.

I will be there.
    With my Mk3 - refill bottle - seat cushion & appropriate gear and clothing.

Plus some readies in my wallet to buy you generous folks a viable liquid return upon your encouragement.
    And if someone now asks 'Oh, you're buying the drinks for the day then, are you ?', I can, with a clear conscience, state that I didn't actually say that. :)

Jack

17. JJ

JJ Member

Club:
    Purley Chase FTC
    Hi Jack,
    I would recommend that you compete. I've shot my first couple of GPs this year so I know how nervous the whole prospect can make you. Trust me, you'll find that the 2 minutes you get is ages and if it isn't who cares? Each GP I've shot I've had a really good laugh, making many mistakes along the way and occasionally surprising myself. I shot one GP with a shooter many times my supperior and another shooter who was having a terrible day. But we all laughed and joked our way through the day and encouraged each other through it. It was great, I really enjoyed it and if you throw your hat into the ring so will you.
    All the best
    JJ
    :D

18. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :)

19. scruff

scruff Member

Club:
    purley chase
    dont give up

i scored six at my first competition....had a very good day....5 years later I am still shooting...not much better.

20. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    If you do end up shooting with Holly, you will be OK until you get to the first standing lane. Then, after watching Holly shoot his standers, you will not be able to stop laughing for the rest of the shoot. Dave is a great guy and good company, and he's never really bothered how many he scores, its all about having a crack with the lads and lasses and enjoying your day. See you there. Neil.