Bisley/Sportsmatch 30mm Adjustable Extra High Mounts

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by RobF, Nov 28, 2008.

1. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I've never been comfortable about shimming scopes... apart from the thing of adding another element to go wrong, it still means the scope is stressed and i've seen scopes become either bent, dented or start to grind with a lot of shim.

So, for me it has to be adjustable. For a couple of years at least i've been using B-squares, which are adjustable for elevation and windage. The only catch is that if your not careful you can introduce crossover... although you can cure it as well.

The Sportsmatch aren't adjustable for windage... but I slung a set I bought on the new walther rig tonight. I'd set leveled the scope at home. Down at the club, I checked for crossover between 8 and 25 indoors and couldn't detect any. Then optically centred the scope. Then set up the elevation so 55 yds would be bang centre.

The elevation correction works with a single grub screw, so you can nip the scope up to hold a pretty good zero, then just turn the screw till shes pointing at your aim point, then tighten up. This makes life pretty easy and fast to set up, especially compared to the b-squares which require un-mounting to adjust the elevation. I reckon the whole thing took me about 2 mins longer than zeroing a normal set of mounts... and it's definately faster than shimming ... and you get an unstressed scope in optical centre.
    The all clamp up tight so I've got no worries about them moving.

So in the future, i'll be using these, unless i've got crossover... in which case it will be the b-squares.

They clear a 56mm scope, but FT'ers might want a set of riser blocks underneath for a more head up position.

Blackpool are doing them here http://www.airgunbuyer.com/Showproducts.asp?cat=Telescopic Mounts&SubCat=Bisley Telescopic Mounts for about £15 more than a normal set, or about the same as reach forward mounts.

Only grumble is I think you need 3-4 allen keys... one for the dovetails, one for the scope mounts, one for the grub and I think i needed another for the locking bolts... but that's a minor grumble.

2. Jon

Jon Member

Always been a fan of Sportsmatch mounts, solidly built, well made and robust.
    I wont use anything else, just bought another 30mm high from Michael Tawn.

Sportsmatch mounts are to suit 13mm dovetails that are at least 3.65mm deep. Off hand only Ripley AR5 on are like this and of course the GC2 where the mount sits on the top flat of the dovetail. What this may mean is crossover and less rigidity when on shallow dovetails, may tend to crimp the tops in.

B Squares/BSA are for shallower and thinner dovetails. Likewise dodgy on properly cut rails.

Meant to give you the B Square adjustables yesterday Rob, no use to me.

3. RobF

Club:
    Just a little update.

I chose another set of these for the March... although I'll probably need a set of risers, these will at least get me up and running without having to shim. While I was there I bought a screw-in level... http://www.sportsmatch-uk.com/scopeacc4.htm

However there were two catches... one to do with the product, one to do with my gun.

The problem with this level and the adjustable mounts is that as you screw the level in, it just starts to touch the adjuster screws above, which knocks it off level. It's fine until the last turn or so, but once they touch together it's off. If you could find a very small radius washer to fit, then it might be enough to keep it clear but it looks like it would need to be less than a mm.

The other problem is with the Walther and it's cocking arm which runs close to the dovetails... it prevents the allen bolt heads being on the right hand side (as you look from the rear of the gun), which means the level must go on the right... not exactly where you want it. Something to be aware of if you also have clearance issues down the right hand of your dovetails.

4. RobF

Club:
    Just to say I did pop off an email to sportsmatch about it...

Got a reply within a day to say they were looking into it...

Got a reply today to say that the levels should come with a washer for this express purpose, and that they'll be popping me one in the post to solve the problem :)

So, top marks from me for a company handling enquiries via email promptly and coming back with a solution.

5. Jon

Jon Member

British company as well.

Me i use the TO36 and make a precision cut rail to suit the rifle and to Sportsmatch mounts with the exact tilt required.

6. RobF

Club:
    I might go down that route jon... of course the adjustables mean the rings line up perfectly with the scope as well.

That said, i've never been bothered enough to get a set of alignment testers for normal mounts.

7. RobF

Club:
    Well, the washers arrived yesterday, and completely solve the alignment problem with the spirit level :)

8. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Rob those look like the ATP61.
    Have you ever used the ATP66, a bit higher and adjustable for elevation windage and height?

I'm thinking of getting a set of the latter.

9. RobF

Club:
    I haven't tried them i'm afraid. Having gotten tangled up with windage adjustable b-square mounts before, I elected to go with just the more simple elevation ATP61's... and by pure chance I found a set to play with 2nd hand.

The ATP61's were true windage wise, so I haven't felt the need to go with the more complex set.

10. philc

philc Member

adj mounts

i,ve just bought a set of hawke fully adj mounts as had trouble with getting elevation with the bushnell
    put these on problem sorted i now have plenty of adj on the scope left to fine tune ther lower than the sportsmatch and cheaper only problem with them is you can,t use a screw in level

cheers phil

11. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

Adam I have two sets of the ATP66, I highly reccomend them, they are so easy to use you can center the scope and practically zero it on the mounts, I get to within 5 clicks at 30yds with these!

12. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Sounds good. I got a set of the ATP61s from BAR. Bisley brand packaging but "made by Sportsmatch" on the packet, and even has the Sportsmatch sticker on the top strap on one mount.

Are the 66s as easy to adjust without dismounting the scope? On the 61s you loosen the two big locking screws on each mount then just twiddle the little grub screw at the bottom to raise or lower each ring, then tighten up the locking screws.

13. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

On the 66 there is a locking grub screw on the front of each mount under the scope, you give these a quater turn to release the mount lock then windage is on the sides and elevation is angled upward from the bottom side, so you can adjust the scope in both directions with the scope mounted!

it really is a simple operation and sensitive enough to practically zero the scope without touching the turrets so your scope is optically centered whilst zeroe'd!