Big thank you to Tilly.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by simmmo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. simmmo

simmmo New Member

After Dopper droning on about how unsuitable my stock was on my gun for HFT (even though it didn't stop him from beating me in a shoot off with it when he couldn't be @rsed to walk to his car for his) I gave in and went to see Tilly (never realised anyone could talk so much). I had a fixed vision of what I wanted and met with a bit of resistance from him as it was anything but conventional. Anyway long story short he did what I asked and it turned out better than I could have ever hoped he followed the brief to the letter and I couldn't be happier. A few of my ISP buddies have Tilly stocks and they all handle beautifully. So much so I will be ordering another. So thanks again Tommy you have put enjoyment back into my game.

Monkey.

MickyFinn and Bensile like this.
  2. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Mr "I'm sh*t @ positionals" is now knocking them over with the new stock. Well in mate, nice shooting at the weekend! :cool:
    I can concur, Tommy is a nice fella too. ;)

tillygti6 likes this.
  3. Ceathreamhnan

Ceathreamhnan WHFTA Champion 2013

Club:
    Dunfermline
  4. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Isp Airstream MK 3 in Tilly Stock.

Attached Files:

5. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    [​IMG]

Evo, Peter M, tillygti6 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    MILLRIDE FTC
    very nice,, got to ask but how well does the airstream shoot as ive not seen any on the circuit

7. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Fast as fooooook Bob! ;)

Evo likes this.
  8. maddog

maddog Well-Known Member

Club:
    Emley f t c
    I’m liking that stock ,my S200 may be needing one like that

9. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

I think the brief was "ive found the single most expensive firearm stock in the world, can you make it work"

I was initially quite sceptical about the design, and it took a fair amount of time to get the dimensions right.
    But, my God does it handle well or what.

And yes, I do like a chat... long hours alone in my workshop does that to me..

I reckon in a black laminate , it would look really mean.

The actual wood weight is next to nothing, and has a large rear weight bias.

I've got 2 more airstreams here currently too.

Glad you like it Simmo.

MickyFinn likes this.
  10. simmmo

simmmo New Member

Shoots amazing.

And as dead as foooooooook.

[QUOTE="tillygti6, post: 308714, member: 2234"

I've got 2 more airstreams here currently too.

Glad you like it Simmo.[/QUOTE]

Think your might have 3 as someone will be ringing probably before you read this.

Monkey.

MickyFinn and Evo like this.
  11. Mr H.

Mr H. I am not even a number.

Club:
    NARPA - OSS. - Harriers FTC. British Field Target Council - Pre BFTA
    Think your might have 3 as someone will be ringing probably before you read this.

Monkey.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so does Tilly do the stock's for Mk1 Airstreams? or for an MDS if drawings are sent, without having the action? Because that photo - well.

Mark H.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  12. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Also weirdly helpful to people who are too cheap to buy a stock from him and insist on bodging their own :p

One of the good guys

*Edit - will be first port of call for my new project ;)*

MickyFinn likes this.
  13. Mr H.

Club:
    There is nothing quite like a well fitting stock. My attempts - some have worked and some failed. Being right handed but a Left master eye, people tend to shy away from doing a LH stock - or charge stupid amounts extra because they have to get it right 1st time. I persevered with my current one getting it absolutely correct for fit with a Falcon M18 - then changed scopes to a Leupold 20-50x50 - it threw everything out and I mean everything.
    Still trying to get it back to how it was.

But that is part of the fun / attraction of shooting. Knowing the gun inside out and back to front.

Saying some people are too cheap to buy a stock from him may be correct on a small amount of occasions but not all.

I would hate to have to alter a perfectly good, handmade and hand finished stock because it didn't quite fit.

I am trying to get a stock absolutely spot on for the Airstream. So if I do eventually get there, irrespective of how it looks then I can ask Shaun to put it through the Stock Copier he built and ask Ivan to finish off to his exceptionally high standards.

Quirky - strange - the MDS No 18. It is in a 1992 Des Edwards walnut stock, right handed, heavy and the gun shoots brilliantly for me while shooting left handed with it.
    Go figure.

Mark H.
    (Chief Stock Bodger - Extraordinaire).

14. tillygti6

Ok, so does Tilly do the stock's for Mk1 Airstreams? or for an MDS if drawings are sent, without having the action? Because that photo - well.

Mark H.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't even consider it, without the action here mate.
    Every one of the mk3s I've had here so far, about 9 I think so far, has been different.
    The tolerances i work to, the majority arnt interchangeable between stocks. Some are most arnt.

Plus I need to be able to get it out on my range to test it,as its progressing.

Despite now being too busy to put my money where my mouth is, in competition. I'm fairly confident that my customers will.

I do fully expect that most of my tailored builds, end up getting further tweaks once its left me. Mainly because you cant replicate how you shoot in competition .

I can get it 95% , the final perfecting tweaks can only be worked out after a few comps imho.

15. tillygti6

Dont forget Dan, I only do this for the love of the sport.
    It's not a job I had planned to ever do, it sort of found me.

Plus it's nice to be helpful.

gdavison likes this.
  16. Mr H.

Club:
    Dont forget Dan, I only do this for the love of the sport.
    It's not a job I had planned to ever do, it sort of found me.
    Plus it's nice to be helpful.

My comments about maybe having to alter slightly the handmade stock - I wasn't being derogatory. I had Mick Dawes make me the left handed Cherry stock which was on MDS No9 when I bought it. He matched it to all my measurements and 3 weeks later I had to have a slight alteration done. So I know what can and sometimes does happen.
    After seeing quite a few of your stocks out there I am impressed.
    My only problem would be popping down every so often to try it out.
    It's bad enough going up to Shaun's and that's only 40minutes away. But Herne Bay from #3 of the M5 may take a while. lol