Big nikko's......

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Corvids, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    ........good models and bad models.

I have just read on here that not all big nikko's are the same. Some good some bad.

Could someone please explain this to me with reference to a good one and a bad one, models, manufacture times etc

Thank you,
    :shot:

2. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Oh dear. I hope I haven't opened a can of worms that the lid is normally shut tightly upon. :eek: :eek:
    I have been led to believe that Mk2's are better than Mk3's. But I may have misunderstood what was said to me.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
  3. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    :D

I am just wondering is all matey. I was told the MK1 has a slightly thinner ret with smaller dots.

It stands to reason to me that a later one with green turrets should be better than a MK1 due to costs and manufacturing advances.

There are good and bad everything's, the later models not always the best. So where better to find out about a good FT scope but on a FT forum :cool:

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    A very good MK1 is the best of all the Nikkos! It has black turrets and black zoom ring.
    The MK 2 has small green turrets and a green zoom ring.
    The MK3 has tall green turrets, slightly lighter and shorter in length and in some but not all the optics are slightly better, parallax wheel is opposite to the other models.

A good Mk 3 is not as good as a good MK1, is shifts more readily in different temps and is not as snappy in/out if focus, it is also fooled more easily by different coloured targets at the same distance.

Some of the later MK3 models were stand clear awful, whilst the early ones very hit and miss with good ones being very good.

Point being here is try and compare side by side, there are slight variations and differences which can be the making OR breaking of it for you!

Still the Nikko is a very good FT scope and is user friendly, rangefinding is easy and reliably consistent.

5. Strokebloke

Strokebloke Mk3 Fanatic

Club:
    SYWELL NTSC : FT : Greyhound : Kibworth
    Thanks Conor. That is helpful & practical. Appreciated.

6. Corvids

Corvids Member

Club:
    Bolton Gun Club
    Cheers Connor.

I thought the big nikko's were basically all the same until I read something :rolleyes:

I have a MK1, and you have made me happy. It's all black, and has had very little use, so has the odd teething problem from under use.

I only used it once myself for 2 hours tops the other night and managed to scratch it on the objective flare part of the tube :eek:o

7. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    It just goes to show how scopes vary. I have a mk2 which will have to prised from my cold dead fingers. Crisp, clear, sharp and only suffers from lens flare from sun behind target, slightly dark image at 50x in lower light, and slight colour fringing unless your eye is dead centre. I've only looked through a couple of mk1s, both ok but nothing great, and one big BSA which optically I thought was truly terrible, like the bottom of a milk bottle. Worth noting that all were very good rangefinders though.

I think my Nikko was in the first few batches of Mk2s, same as the one Calps has used for years ... though I didn't Hammerite mine! :D