Big Nikko MkIII Challenge ....versus Falcon T50

Discussion in 'Others' started by JasonGoldsmith66, May 14, 2011.

1. JasonGoldsmith66

JasonGoldsmith66 Banned

Club:
    - Collectors Club -
    In opening my monthly mag subscription of Airgunner, I see the Ad on the the inside page page from Highland Outdoors...It seems they have thrown down their gauntlet, and are looking for a fight.../ challenge....

The ad goes:

" WILL YOU TAKE ON THE NIKKO STIRLING CHALLENGE ?

At Nikko Stirling, we are so confident in the quality and precision of our Japanese Diamond Sportman series scope that we challenge you to find a clearer, sharper, more precise and easier to use scope at the same or lower price !"

...and to add, there is a pic of the Big Nikko MkIII...with the following:

"The Preferred choice for many Field Target and Competition shooters worldwide"

Pretty obvious they are starting to panic Over the T50 ?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Leupold Competition Series x 40

3. rick

rick Member

If the T50 is any good it will make a big dent in sales of the big nikko and also knock hell out of the there second hand value.

4. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    hi

thing to do is give both scopes to a top shooter and let them test both side by side see what the outcome is.

5. Jon

Jon Member

It needs to Rick, most people made money selling their Niko after using ie bought for £270 and sold £350 years down the line just because the mark 4 (latest) came out in 2008. Many unwittingly bought the mark 3 s/h thinking was latest, oops.
    Theres Japanese lenses and theres Japanese lenses, they make to a spec like Lada to a Rolls.

A few years ago you could have imported a Comp Series and paid the dreaded for less than £700. Believe they retail for £1000.

6. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    still get comps for 999 dollars plus del and duty works out about 750 ish,it right wot kev says tho

7. Jon

Jon Member

Depends on the $, it used to be 1.94 to the £.

How many are using the latest! Not the ASI distributed ones, all under one banner.

Very true its the buyers choice if they could be non biased.

8. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    even better if it was some who shoots GPS and gives it a honest test and no bull.

9. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Apparently the US importer has ceased to import Nikko Diamond Sportsman 10-40x60. Too many returns, not the sales throughput they were expecting.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/4513...60+Scopes+are+No+Longer+Imported+to+the+US!!!

A little healthy competition is a good thing..........But I have a feeling Nikko may rue the day they made that challenge without getting their hands on a T50 for inspection first.

Next year will you fellows have a team for the GP's, Team Falcon????

GS

10. Jon

Jon Member

Adam i dont go on that yellow but that statement is based on 3 year old information and why the previous distributor dropped the importation. At one point there was 1 in 3 coming back.

New ones are totally different with far better build and lighter.

11. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    will u be selling your march for 1 jon lol,

12. Jon

Jon Member

Simply put, no i wont be selling both Marchs.

13. greyskullnz

greyskullnz Non member

Yes Jon I had my hands on a post 2008 model, mounted it on my rifle for a brief test. At the time it was brilliant in the South African sun:D

Had my hands on two others over here since, each different. The South African one was clearer. Couldn't use it though as the bent barrel meant it ran out of adjustment.........and with 30 minutes to go before kick off I just couldn't make it work for me. Went back to my old scope and used mildots instead. More's the pity, as Robbie Stewart was very generous offering the lend of it. (here stranger,......you've just dropped your rifle, stuffed your scope, bent your barrel, but go ahead and borrow my brand spanking Big Nikko 2008 model just for laughs......:eek:)

I was so impressed with his trusting nature I had to give him something, so left him with a custom Steyr adapter/silencer in stainless I had made for mine which I didn't use, but now lives with him........

Was a nice crystal clear Big Nikko that one with one of your wheels on it,.......but I still think the Falcon has the edge. Has same issue regards small range of turret adjustment though. Just live with it I suppose, and be gentler with one's rifle.

GS

14. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Well said:D

15. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    Falcons

One thing I would be interested to hear is experience with the magnification ring.

I have a Falcon 4-14x44 (FFP) and I love it (apart from the incredibly stiff mag ring which has never eased with use) and a 5.5-25x56 (FFP) which again has a stiff mag ring (and the optics aren't brilliant at higher mags but it is fine for non-FT situations i.e. you wouldn't use the words "snap in" when adjusting parallax). The other issue with the mag ring is the shape of the rubberised ring which makes it nigh impossible to put a "coaster" around it to give a bit more leverage.

Hopefully Falcon have made some changes and it is quite a different job altogether. Tempting but I won't part easily with my Leup 40x comp for one just yet :)

Cheers
    Neil

16. wiseguy

wiseguy Active Member

Club:
    DFTA
    @Neil
    I have mounted the T50 (#0042) now for about two weeks and I quite like the scope.
    Indeed the mag rins is not flat, but I managed to mount a coaster, using a flat elastic rubber ( thanks postman) underneath the coaster. This way the coatster's hard plastic gets enough grip on the mag ring and turning is quite easy.
    There is another possibility, the mag ring is fixid using a torx screw, if you take out the torx screw and machine some sort of handle with the same thread, that is at the same position as the coaster and looks very good imho.
    The reticle is a bit thicker than the BN3, but not really bad to use at all.
    I think this scope is very good value for money, the BN3 has some pro's as has this T50, but the T50 is a lot cheaper.
    One thing I don't like is that the T50 only has limited vertical adjustment, 4 turns (7.5moa per turn), 30moa in total. I use it with a sloped Steyr rail and it is in the last turn. I might be needing a weaver rail that has no slope (straight).
    But still testing, attached the Leupold close focus adapter on the Falcon scope cover, the T50 is sharp from 9 meters at 50x, but using the CFA I can get to 6m.
    Also if the R&D did their job at Falcon, they should have made the SF knob the same as on the BN's, but the made it a bit larger (44.2 instead of 42mm), so you have to machine your sidewheel if you want to use it on the Falcon :(
    The distance between 40-50mtr is a bit more on a 125mm sidewheel of the T50 (13mm T50, 9.5mm BN3).
    Anyway, I'll keep mine for a while to see how temp shift is regarding the BN3.
    regards,
    Rob

17. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Pity the post is out dated.Would be interested in an evaluation of the new IR scope and its functioning,
    HERX77 .

18. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Doing one as we type