Big nikko help.

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by chip, Apr 15, 2010.

1. chip

chip New Member

At Christmas i bought a second hand big nikko, and have recently bought a steyr, so have spent the last few days working out my elevation in order to dial in.

The scope came with a shark fin and was already marked for range finding.
    Which i checked against my range finder and the markings were proving to be spot on.

Until i ranged a target that was according to the markings on the scope 8 yards away, but according to my range finder was 10 yards away.

So i got out my tape measure and it was indeed 10 yards away.
    No biggie i thought, just a slight amendment to the sidewheel markings was needed.

I then put a target out at a measured 8 yards and tried to parallax it but found it impossible.
    It will not focus below ten yards at 50x, 10 yards focuses crystal clear but any closer is a blurred mess.

Looked at nikko's website and they claim it parallaxes down to 10 yards, so it is doing what it says on the side of the tin.

So how do i range find between 8-10 yards.

Thanks in advance,
    Kelley

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Either reparallax it, or use a close focus adapter.

3. loopyloo

loopyloo Member

Club:
    Bisley
    i would suggest neither of the above as reparallaxing will possibly muck up top end ranges. And i have never seen a close up adapter(im not saying there isnt one just not seen anyone have one)

i have one and just shoot it blurred as i shoot at 50x and never mag down setting up top turret on my 55yd mark
    But this also depends on how high your mounts are too. Im shooting a s400 with my nikko on top.

If im shooting at a reducer at that range aim top of kill. (but if you see my scores maybe my advice shouldnt be used)

Really learn your scope and its forboyles guess that if it doesnt focus it must be 8-10 yrd

As each scope has a niggle we are never gonna have it perfect.

loopy

4. saltydog

saltydog I smell something fishy

Club:
    Mid Ulster, Tawd Vale
    I take it you've used different mag:)

5. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

I use the Leup 50ft adaptor for close ranges on mine - I can range find down to 6 yards with it

6. Baltipal

Baltipal New Member

Don't sweat it mate, FT psycology works in your favour here. Courses are set out by FT shooters who will be damn careful NOT to put a target out closer than 8 yards, they'll probably carefully measure it to make sure so you are virtually guaranteed an 8 yarder if it's blurred!;)
    I was going to get a 50 foot adapter but to be honest I haven't found the need, if it's blurred but I can see some detail just not well, it's probably 9 yards. If it's very blurred I assume 8 yards, I generally get my close ones.
    You don't really get enough short ones to be an issue though, some people don't dial at all just drop the mag & aim high, atleast you won't fall into the 'Turret Out' trap!:eek:

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Its about time we braught in 10ml kills for under 15 yards! :D

8. HotShot

HotShot Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    Get yourself to the Anglo American and fill yer boots ;)

I would advise against just aiming high on close targets - at least have dial settings for them.

The worst part of dialing for close targets is having to go a full turn out - just use another aim point on the ret and keep within one turn and you will be fine :)

Dave.

PS - I would leave the parallax at 10 yards - moving it closer will make the gaps higher up the ranges come closer together slightly (and before anyone tells me it wont - I have tried and tested this and know it to be true ;) + I have a close focus adaptor now)

9. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    re-parralax, still got a good gap between 50 and 55, yrd perfect and crystal clear down to 9yrds on 40mag, drop mag to 10/20 and its fine at 8yrds. Just got to do a bit of practice ;)
    HTH Conor

10. chip

chip New Member

Thanks, everyone for your advice.
    Interesting replies, how people do things differently.

Thanks again,
    Kelley

11. pedigreemutt

pedigreemutt New Member

Club:
    S.D.F.T
    scope

dont buy scopes from dodgy looking fat blokes at your local club...especially at christmas......:cool: ps no refunds tee hee.....:D:D:D:shot:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  12. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    Ive got one of the new big Nikko's and Im fairly new to FT but my method is similar to one of the above. As you say they will parallax down to 10yds out of the box so for anything less i have a system of mil dots worked out. It works fine for me, you just have to do the home work and shoot at 8,9 & 10yd targets and see where your pellet strikes and work it from there. I very rarely miss the close ones apart from last weekend at Newbury when i had brain fade and i used the dots above zero instead of below (twice :mad:)

13. chip

chip New Member

:D:D:D
    Now you tell me:D

No refund required mate the scope is spot on, its the also dodgy looking fat bloke using it that is the problem.::rolleyes:

I have had several different methods of how to get around the issue pointed out to me both here and on the bbs, on open forum and by pm.

I don't think you could say any one is the right way or the wrong way of doing it , as it is what works best for you.

So i have been given lots of options to try and to work out what is the best way for me.

So thanks to everyone for there help.

14. steg

steg Member

Club:
    Emley Moor
    Got to agree with the 'blurred'....'more blurred' answer....turn your mag down then...know where your turret/millidot is ...fire....simples