BFTA Showdown 2013

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Shaun, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    The Showdown is on 25th August 2013.

If you have qualified but cannot attend then please:
    Post on this thread.
    PM me
    Email me (comp@thebfta.net)

The Showdown is a great comp but needs a full complement of 64 shooters.

Shaun

2. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Hi Shaun,

Gutted that I cannot make it on the 25th as I will be departing these sunny shores for my hols on that day :(

Will I be on Conors list?

Maybe next year - if I ever qualify again

Grubber

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  3. Recoiling Rob

Recoiling Rob Member

Hi Shaun,

Gutted that I cannot make it on the 25th as I will be departing these sunny shores for my hols on that day :(

Will I be on Connors list?

Maybe next year - if I ever qualify again

Grubber

4. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Hi Rob
    I'll gladly buy sorry take your place
    Oh, just remembered that you shoot one of those boingers which I haven't got:D
    Have a great holiday
    Barry

5. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    pain in the harris

Blinking hol's allway's get in the way :eek:o:eek:o:eek:o
    Think i may be on conor's list as well:D:D

6. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    I'm not going

Shaun,

I think you kne minor shooting the weekend..
    I haven't ticked the box on the scorecard all season...

Berty

7. Steve

Steve Member

I can't make it Shaun,it clashes with the Nwgp at Rivington Riflemen,the first since we joined the Bfta,so I need to be there.
    If anyone fancies shooting the Gp at Rivington on the 25th,your more than welcome.one thing I can say for certain you will shoot in testing wind conditions:D
    Steve

8. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Thanks for the updates :)

9. mundungus

mundungus New Member

Hi Shaun,

I need to withdraw also. I've emailed you but just thought I'd post to ensure you know to look out for the email.

Many thanks,
    Keith Worboyes - 70813

10. rich

rich Active Member

We have a similar situation with the SWEFTA showdown every year. Members qualify by being in the top four scores at league shoots, then for one reason or another, often plausible, they drop out. It's as though a place in a showdown no longer holds the same je ne sais quoi as it used to.

Possibly the format is wrong. Why should being in the top four at a league shoot where you have two minutes (and in SWEFTA's case all the time in the world) for two targets, befit you for a place where you need to down two in less than a minute?

11. Steve

Steve Member

Myself I would rather shoot in the showdown,alas the North West is not the strongest region for Ft,so I'm hoping by joining the Bfta(Rivington Riflemen)and hosting some Ft shoots we can tempt some of the(very good) hft shooters to give it a try;)
    We have at Rivi in the region of 150 members,10% of those would make a difference to our region.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    For the BFTA I would think it's down to the requirement to fit the shoot into one day. For smaller showdowns it might not be necessary.

But there is a positive to the 1 minute rule. It streamlines the shooting process. Errors can be costly so it encourages a shooting process that seeks to diminish them. Most time is burnt in 2 mins in rangefinding the target several times, and waiting for the ideal wind. 1 minute forces you to rangefind 1-2 times well, and shoot for the wind that's there, rather than let indecision creep into it.

Most people who haven't shot one don't think it's possible. Most people afterwards realise it is. The trick is to not think but to just do. I haven't found a shooter yet who couldn't manage it to some degree of success, at least up to their actual shooting ability, and i've shot with some who haven't even been timed before let alone timed at 1 min.

Simple things to save time :

1 check natural point of aim and position on most difficult target, and if both are difficult then work a strategy out for dealing with them both. That doesn't mean the longest one. If you have a very close target you can burn more time getting to focus on an 11yd target and dialing than a 45yd one. Pull strings.

2 make a decision on where the wind is coming from at least

3 load carefully, but have 2nd pellet somewhere where you can get it quick

4 guess first target and pre focus scope

5 breathe

Only when your 100% happy, then stick eye to scope. It should be pointing at the first target. If it's in focus then send it. If not, get focus, dial a few clicks, make a decision on wind, send it, under good trigger control and with good follow through. Find 2nd target and repeat. Don't spend all day rangefinding. If scope says 50 yds, dial it, send it.

First shot normally goes off within 10 secs or so. Leaves plenty for the second.