BFTA, How much in the bank?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by chrisc, Aug 28, 2012.

1. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

After reading the Worlds prizes thread, someone mentioned that the BFTA were sitting on a (alleged) 5 figure sum.

Just wondering why Newbury has such poor facilities when it is supposed to be the National ground?. Most regional clubs have better facilities these days.....which are paid for by the clubs members. Is the ground at Newbury rented and if so why?....buy somewhere and make it a REAL National ground. Either that or make another place the National ground. Why does the BFTA need to make a profit?

2. Shaun

Shaun Moderator Staff Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Does the BFTA make a profit?

An example of items and services bought this year.

GP series:
    200 glass cube trophies with engraving.
    50 end of season trophies
    24 medals for teams
    A rather nice new cup for overall winner.
    100 new clocks
    10,000 score cards
    Marquee hire at GP9
    Major sponsors of the prize raffle

BFTA Champs 10 trophies
    BFTA IR 45 medals
    BFTA Masters 10 trophies
    BFTA Showdown 12 trophies
    BFTA Euros 10 trophies

Plus many other items.

Per year the BFTA would be daft not to try and break even. However, for the 5 seasons that I have been involved with the BFTA I'd say that they've spent more than they've taken. It does have a healthy bank balance but it is decreasing slowly as initiatives are responded to. To find what these initiatives are then read the Minutes of BFTA meeting.

As to Newbury. Newbury is a rented ground within a very big estate. Newbury ARC does not have many members so to secure use of Newbury the BFTA contributes to the rent. Clubs with good facilities generally have a lot of members. Next season there is a proposal to move the opening BFTA weekend to another region.
    The suggestion that the BFTA purchases ground is an interesting one. I imagine that ownership of grounds to be rare.

Shaun

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    It's probably an issue of accounts being open to inspection to some degree that there's always a debate on how they should be spent. I believe that Newbury was rented, rather than purchased, so it was more supported than anything else further.

The amount the BFTA has would never cover the purchase of ground large enough to host national events. It may be a recession, but anything with a 1/2 decent entrance, that doesn't flood, has permission for use over 28 days, and actually comes with shooting rights, doesn't have public footpaths around it or through it, is not cheap.

I think the BFTA could perhaps fund a club improvement scheme, but as most grounds are leased/rented, these facilities could only be of a certain standard, otherwise it would be a landlords improvement scheme ;).

4. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Thanks for the feedback gents. I have no idea how much the 'average' ground would cost to buy but renting is always deemed as dead money . I know from experience how much of a pain it is when you have to run to the landowner when wanting to make changes.

Although to me, to run the BFTA at a loss makes no sense at all?...........it will only be a matter of time before the cash dwindles.

5. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    The money was built up when the BFTA had to pay for club insurance up front and then recoupe the money from individual clubs.
    This required the BFTA to outlay several thousand pounds until the money was recovered.
    As club insurance is now dealt with directly, the BFTA uses some of the money to fund various improvements, as described by Shaun. So, at the moment, it runs at a loss intentionally to feed the money back into the sport.