BFTA Gp lane / shooting partners

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Jul 13, 2012.

?

who do you like to shoot with at Bfta Gp shoots

1. Like to shoot with same grade / "class" partners

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  2. like to shoot with new shooters - any Class

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. dont care who i shoot with

31 vote(s)
    50.8%
  4. like to shoot with other grades even if known to me

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    There are a few guidlines for allocating shooting partners in a GP, ie not club or team mates where possible etc.

However, I was wondering if shooters have a preference for who they shoot with?

I like to be with members of the casme Class, ie AA, but i also like shooting with new shooters, be that in any other class or AA.

So, when it comes to Gp partners would you rather be with shooters (supposidly) of your ability or would you rather be shooting with new shootersd where possible?

2. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I think its good to shoot with competitors from different grades. Its certainly helped me through watching others style/methods in a competition environment

3. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    I think it is a great idea for an experienced shooter to accompany a novice, at least you are shown the correct way to do things, what you can and can't do, what is and what is not allowed etc. i have heard Simon is a wonderful Teacher.

4. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    Yeah, simon is a wonderfull teacher,In the art of pie eating ;):D

5. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Partners

It varies from shoot to shoot really.
    You often find the lads higher up in percentage like to shoot with someone of their ability.
    It is nice that way as you know that your competing against good competition.
    If there's 3 of you in a group there's no harm in having say 2 x AA grade and a b or c grade shooter. That person would learn an incredible amount from the lads who of the higher class and most probably more experienced..

Berty

6. pauljv

pauljv Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    got to say it dosn't matter for me who i shoot with but my young un dylan always seems to shoot better the better the shooter he shoots with its like he concentrates more to keep up with who he shoots with. if theres bad scores from the other guys or gals then he dosn't seem to have to try as hard. thats why i prefer him not to shoot with me as i'm **** lol :D :D :D

7. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

I don't mind who I shoot with. I have heard the better your partner, the better your score, but I'm not sure thats true. I think it should be a random selection with the partners from the same club/region removed.
    It's good to slowly work my way through meeting and shooting with all the different people at the GP's I haven't had to shoot with anyone I didn't get on with (yet)

Atb,

Alec.

8. johnharper

johnharper Member

Club:
    YORK FTC

9. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Well I met up with Simon and he could not have been any nicer, very helpful, pointing out my faults and putting me right making suggestions to improve my positions etc, I learnt a lot from him, had I have gone around with someone with the same amount of knowledge as me I would have been non the wiser at my mistakes I had a great day now all I have to do is practice and improve.

10. Gary Martin

Gary Martin sultans of spring

Club:
    harriers field target
    i dont care who i shoot with, as i just like shooting. it does help if they are friendly, as a few hours spent with someone who does not know how to communicate would be a bit of a downer.

11. NJR 100

Club:
    for gp 8 then we will mix up the classes a bit to see if we can get new shooting partners for most?

Will post lane by lane allocation this week.

12. AIRFIX GILLY

AIRFIX GILLY WFTA World Champion 2012

Club:
    Castle
    too tall

I prefer to shoot with competitors who are `taller`than myself.;):)

13. pauljv

pauljv Member

Club:
    Redfearns FTC
    ok then gilly looks like your shooting with our dylan :D :D :D

14. villiers

villiers Self appointed antipimp

Club:
    Bisley
    I like to shoot with someone better than me so i can learn and i always raise my game to try and stay with them.:)

15. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

I just enjoy shooting with any grade from other areas. You can at least get to speak to them about thier club and shooting experience bounce off thoughts on the shots, course etc.

For example in GP 1 one of the group has in laws on the Island so the question was asked about visitors and the answer was yes (one way of getting ou seeing the in-laws I suppose :D ). Passed on contact details for thier next visit.

16. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    That will be everybody then...:D;)

17. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    Yes, That's what I wanted to do but when my partner on Sunday was shooting Sporter style and knocking them down for fun, :eek: made me look a bit of a T**T I won't tell you his name but it begins with an S. and he likes EV 2'. But it was an Excellent learning experience.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  18. NJR 100

Club:
    Dylan said the same, thats why he asked not to be put with you:p

19. Miss England

Miss England Mr. Kipling has nothing on me

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone
    None of the poll options are what I would pick...

None of the poll options cover my answer. :(

I like to shoot with higher grade shooters than myself especially the AA grades.

I find it of great value to shoot with a shooter who is of a higher grade, not only does it bring my game up, but I have found it a brilliant way of learning about the sport, the techniques, the rules and also the shooters who have been at this game a few years provide a reasurring companion to shooters more new to the sport.

When I first started at the GP's I knew very few people (even if many people knew who I was!!! ;) ). Although I had been shooting since I was 3, I was also new to the FT sport as such and so was always nervous, and had so much to learn (still do and will do for some time yet!!!). Going out to do a sport that you are still learning and with people you know is daunting, and being paired up with AA/A shooters for GP's greatly benefited me personally allowing me to relax knowing I could ask for help if I was unsure and learn more about the sport I enjoyed doing.

I have found that shooting especially with the AA chaps they have always been more than happy to give advice, tips and reassurance. It is also very reasurring when you have a knowledgable partner who spots when your gun may be acting up or spotting that you are doing something which is causing issues. This can be invaluable in avoiding big dents in confidence of lower grade shooters as understanding a problem means not loosing confidence but gaining knowledge and overall improvement so continued participation.

Also when you get placed with shooters outside of your grade it is a good way of meeting more and more shooters on the circuit. It is not and should never be an elitist competition (elite in the way the best guys win, but not elitest in segmenting the best away from the rest of the field) so I do not think that all the AA shooters should be placed together away from the rest of the competitiors. Mixing up the pairings is good for compitition, learning and for the continuing social element that is a part of FT enjoyed by all grades.

Sorry have just realised I have waffled..... still off work... time on ones hands!!!! :D

Overall I have relished being paired with high graded shooters. I soak up any knowledge they give and it gives me a chance to simply watch different styles of shooting.

20. fudge-1200

fudge-1200 New Member

Club:
    Castleton, FTC
    I Agree with you 100% but I couldn't have written it so well, I would hazard a guess and say that 99.9% of new shooters agree with you also.
    Gary.