BFTA GP Junior Trophy

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Shaun, May 12, 2011.

1. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    This season there is a trophy for the top score for a junior at each of the GP events.

Junior = under the age of 16 on the day of the event.

If you are a junior or are bringing a junior to the event then please mark the top of the junior's scorecard "JUNIOR" and make stats aware.

If you know of juniors attending the GPs then please spread the word.

Thanks Shaun

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Cool... always thought this was worth doing :)

Is there a sponsor for it?

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Hi Shaun,
    What is happening about Gp 1 Junior trophy?

Thanks

simon

4. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Mitch Tomes won it. Well done Mitch!

5. RobF

Club:
    Awesome, nice trophy for the little big lad... glad he's got a few years left in Juniors, else i think he'd be upsetting the adults...

6. Shaun

Shaun Active Member

Club:
    Harriers
    Keep asking those juniors :)

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    Also he should get a trophy for most extreme hair style;)
    :D

Conor

8. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Hair stylist

Conor,

Might be an idea to speak to Dermot as he is a hair stylist over your way to see if he can give us some tips on how we can sort Mitch's hair out.

I was shocked to find out that he uses hair straighteners and curlers in his bouffon heehee....

Youth of today though scares me ......

Berty

9. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    The forgotten juniors.

It is about time the sport of Field Target shooting sorted them themselves out once and for all with regard to juniors. I am sick to the back teeth of hearing people say they are the future of the sport. The only people that have tried to help them over the years are the parents and a certain Lady in NEFTA ,which has been done in a covert manner.

The sport can't even agree on the age of a junior ,it ranges from 13 to 19 , its an absolute farce.

10. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Problem with items within the sport

The problem lies with people having alot to say about ideas for the sport but never put the thoughts forward and never attend th meeting where the changes are made.

I asked about a trophy for the juniors at the GP's which everyone aggreed to, it wasnt hard to ask just something I thought was needed.

I have said it so many times now, it would be nice for people who have ideas to improve the sport then bring them forward and lets get things implemented into Field target shooting.....

Berty

11. RobF

Club:
    True Berty.

It was raised before though.

In the WFTF the top age is 18. I can't remember what it is at the Euro's... think it should be 16, but it's a tricky one. Either way though, i'd like to see more juniors doing it, so anything that encourages them is top in my book. If for any reason than it just makes me laugh when juniors hand an adult their own backsides... :D

They are probably the ones who grab most reward out of a trophy or medal. It's doesn't need to be much, but i bet it would mean the world to most. You could do 1st - 5th with certificates for scores as well. I wonder how many have bits of paper or trinkets from their distant childhood still knocking around the place that brings back a memory.

12. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    As far as the BFTA is concerned, a junior is defined as someone under the age of sixteen on the day of the competition.

13. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    What IMO would be nice for the top 3,4 or 5 juniors would be their scorecard, attached nicely to a certificate as recognition of their achievement and a trophy.:)

14. fredyninefingers

fredyninefingers Non member

:mad:the forgotten junior sums it in a nutshell....every junior shooting in field target needs encourageing whether with silver ware,medals,cash,pellets,gun sponsorship,scopes etc etc etc.....its hard enough adults traveling god knows how many miles trying to compete,concentrate generally take part....kids the future,i,ve heard that load of shite for 10 years now,all this sport has done has chased away most of them,i,ve sat and watched countless talented juniors leave,they weren,t the future they were just kids beeting adults and it upset them....they weren,t embrased or encouraged,they were shown the basics and it was hoped they wouldn,t beet you...i could name a dozen top junior shooters with the right encouragement should have been world beeters,but instead left without argument and wren,t even missed...airgun shooting is aimed at grown men looking for a hobby and spend a grand on a gun and scope....luckily there is a john costello and i hope mitch tomes follows suit and sticks it out,then field target may be able to say the kids are the future...i strongly beleive every competeing junior needs a medal and not just a couple of quid trinket,but something they can treasure and strive for......BFTA dig deep and spend a few quid and step up to the mark,if you want british world beeters try by spending a few quid and encourageing talent.....:mad:

15. RobF

Club:
    Easy tigers, the BFTA have now got a trophy. Best way of making the thoughts count is to send them up the line via area rep, or direct to the chair, and air your views that way like Berty says.

No problem with airing the views here, but not everyone reads the board, and the other it gets to the ears.

One of the best day's shooting i had was with a young lad at Iceni 2 years ago, after a tough gp he was begging his dad to come back for more.

I'm sure we would all like more for the sport :) I dare say if someone could snatch a sponsor it may help as well.

16. dutoitk

dutoitk Member

At our league shoots we award medals to u/13 as well as u/17.

At our recent National championships we awarded u/13, u/17 boys and u/17 girls.
    By rewarding a youngster with a medal, it encourages them to participate. A piece of cheap metal goes a long way. If I recall correctly, of the 54 shooters who qualified for our nationals, about 15 were juniors.

My son Francois at age 15 won the junior title and came 4th overall. He was awarded national Protea colours and is now part of the SA National team entered for worlds in Italy.
    Francois was lucky and managed to get a sponsor. This pushes him even further as there is recognition for his performance.

Without the juniors we will only see wheelchairs and walkers at the shoots in a few years. :)

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  17. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Juniors

First of all may I commend you on obtaining trophies for the juniors at the the Grand Prix's. Especially in view of it taking (it would appear) 23 years.

Re.para 1. These are not the problems . The thoughts have been put forward for a period of 10 years.
    With regard to attending the meeting where changes are made , which meeting is this ,and when and where will it be held.
    THE PROBLEM IS APATHY.

Could you enlighten me on the Euro's. Does the BFTA run them and what is the max age for a junior.

18. s410rainbow

s410rainbow Non member

1st-5th

it would be nice for juniors to have something to remember, being a junior myself it would really encourage young talent to keep up the sport:D

19. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    Yes it does, the age definition for a junior is the same as quoted above, i.e. someone under the age of sixteen on the day of the competition.