Best trigger?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by CameronWilson, May 30, 2013.

1. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    Of all the guns you've ever shot, which has had the best trigger?

For me, it would have to be a Steyr LG110...

2. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics
    The new FWB is really nice. Steyr is also very good.
    Worst is the EV2 a which is agricultural at best!

3. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    The worst I've encountered is a Diana T01 - it takes less effort to cock the rifle than it does to pull the trigger!

4. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Best springer - Air Arms Prosport
    Best PCP - FWB P70 or Ripley AR4 (hoping my first Steyr that is being shipped to me is same or tops these)

Worst? Webley Vulcan/Beeman C1...egads!

5. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    Best: Anchutz 2002
    Worst: Daystate mk3 and mk4, I can't stand them.

6. ellis d

ellis d Active Member

Club:
    Castle ftc
    EV2 the worst trigger:eek: maybe you need some one to show you how to set it up, the worst trigger ive ever used is webley Vulcan :D oh and before any one says the walther...that is not a true 2 stage trigger.. just the one stage...each to there own...ive got a tx200 the trigger on that would scare most to death....technique is the key.. I see top ft shooters ****** at the trigger all the time.....the current world champ is the worst ive seen for that..:D stick to making lists conor, cus ya crap at judging triggers.....lol

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Haha

You love winding um up me old strawberry blonde bombshell fair play..

Worst I'd say is my BSA meteor mk1.. Trust me its awesome to work. Your trigger technique on... Yeah right...

Nicest I'd say was Conor's steyr.. Enjoyed showing him how to clear turkeys with it at classic...

Berty

8. saltydog

saltydog I smell something fishy

Club:
    Mid Ulster, Tawd Vale
    Best 2002 anschutz next my steyr worst webley scope killer patriot a close 2nd all conors steyrs :p

9. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

I'm joining the Anschutz 2002 brigade, that thing is special!

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Shutz

Shutz 2002 and the P70 . hardest to set up is far and away the NJR olympic trigger ( a month now and still trying ) everything you do alters everything else ??? HOLLY:):D

11. Diabolo

Diabolo Member

Anschutz 2002

Mach 1 Trigger on my Venom Trophy is pretty damn good too...

12. CameronWilson

CameronWilson Member

Club:
    JGARC
    That's interesting you should say that - I really struggled with mine, and I thought it was just me. I couldn't for the life of me tune-out the second stage creep, and I eventually just set it up as a single stage trigger (which was beautiful).

I'm having a similar problem with my HW100 at the moment. I'm either getting: A. no discernible second stage stop (the trigger just breaks without any warning); or B. a solid second stage stop, but then creep. I can set it up perfectly, but when i go back to the rifle a day later it'll be either A or B again. I've put thread lock on the adjuster screws, but even still it's different each time I go back to it.

13. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
  14. JTK

JTK New Member

must say. I got my EV2 pretty sweetly set up. I love how easy it was to move the blade around with the arm... What I miss is the pull through stop that the EV has on the steyrs. If I could fashion that without resoting to butchering I would be most content with it..

15. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Steyr LG110/100's & Walther LG300's are all pseudo two stage, meaning the first stage is just a sprung blade, and doesn't actually move any sears.

Ev's, ProTarget's, S400's, TX's, Hw springers & pcps are all true two stage triggers.

Which is better is a personal thing, my LG300 was extremely crisp, and a well set up ProTarget is awesome. I have an S400 with a duttonized trigger, you can get lighter triggers, but it has a lovely feel.

16. JTK

JTK New Member

PLease explain? Have mine set up with stainless washers on seers. also very nice feel.

17. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    There's a forum member called Scooby who is extremely good at setting up triggers, he set mine up along with a modification to help the trigger stay sweet (something to do with preventing impacts to one of the sears).

As I didn't do the work, I can't really explain what the modification entails, sorry!

18. JTK

JTK New Member

thanks Martz...

19. neilL

neilL New Member

Club:
    NOFTC CRPC
    EV2 and ProTarget are 1-stage with a pre-spring and if you don't fully follow through there can be a tendency to hair trigger i.e. it goes off as soon as you touch the trigger (I had AA service and replace the sear but poor trigger technique can still lead to the sear not dropping fully - i.e. it is a shooter problem rather than an inherent design problem). I used to have to pull the trigger after release a couple of times to make sure the sear had dropped but it was my bad technique in the main by not pulling all the way through after the pellet flew away. The AA 400s are very nice 2-stage triggers and if you advance to 2nd stage you can release and it goes back to the 1st.

The LG300 is similar but less prone to hair-trigger and a habit of a firm cocking lever pull tends to make sure the sear is fully set.

The Anschutz 2002 trigger is brilliant once setup. I had one with a b**gered about spring which made it way too light. I bought a replacement spring and after a short struggle it was in place and it now has a definite spring tension for both 1st and 2nd stages (if the spring is deliberately weakened then you get a bad interaction between the various settings - I still have the bad spring if anyone wants a photo of what I mean). Buying a used rifle has taught me so many things to look for (in old and new mechanisms!). When out of the stock you can see if 1st and 2nd work correctly by observing that you can reverse the sears by releasing the 1st stage pressure i.e. everything goes back to where it started, if the settngs are incorrect it ends up somewhere between 1st and 2nd and is unpredictable.

Neil

20. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I've not tried that many but the FWB P70 is by far the best I've used. Someone described it as like snapping a fine glass rod! My LG110 is pretty close but despite trying I can't quite match the P70. The worse one is the SMK QB78, now that is really awful almost as bad as the trigger on my GAT pistol:D