best scope mounts

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Evo, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Evo

Evo Bob Evans,, always getting banned from sales

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    sorry to be a pain all , but could you give me an idea of the best scope mounts and where to get them from to fit my nikko sterling diamond sportsman, its a 30mm tube as you will know, its to put on my EV2 mk4, I have a riser on the rifle but just need the scope mounts and good quality ones please

many thanks all

Evo

2. ian furness

ian furness Member

Club:
    emley moor
    third eye tactical in heckmondwike

3. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Sportsmatch fully adjustable

I have had great results with these mounts. They will allow you to center your scope turrets and achieve zero and windage.
    Simon

4. Evo

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    could you explain centering my turrets and achieve windage, I,m familiar with windage and turrets but are these scope mounts adjustable then when adjusted you lock them off ???

many thanks guys for the help but I,m only familiar with 3 x 9 x 50 hawke panorama scopes and these big target scopes is a new world to me as is FT shooting,

its costing me a bloody fortune lol

5. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Turret Center

If you turn your turret to the bottom of its travel[not tight wound down]then count how many clicks you have to the top of it's travel, just halve and set your turret there. Do this for both turrets, that way you are getting the best image through your scope.
    I used the mounts to get my pellet to hit a fifty yrd line , then use the turret to get back to your zero [mine 30 yds] that means when you are rangeing 45/55yd targets you are using the best of your glass.
    These turrets are fully adjustable for height and windage , plus they move with the tube so no crimps on the tube. [always a danger when using shims].
    Hope this helps
    Simon

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  6. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    mounts

I second the sportsmatch adjustable mounts, If your scope turrets have a total travel of say a 100 clicks you need to be 50 clicks on both turrets, then use the adjustable to zero the gun at your preferred range, there are other ways to do it but that is one of the simplest be careful with the turrets don,t wrench them down

7. Evo

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    thankyou very much for your help gents , I certainly understand what your on about now, can I just ask another question please, would you zero the scope indoors ???

8. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    No

You can sort your windage indoors but for some reason my zero is always low shooting over concrete. Set it up out doors then see what the windage is doing indoors.

9. Evo

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    many thanks for your help,, I,ll let you know how I get on, I,ll order the scope mounts now, thanks again

cheers Bob

10. simmmo

simmmo Member

Artifical light indoors causing scope to focus differently than outdoors perhaps. Like changing parrallax in dark woods and open fields?

Andy

11. Ratinator

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    Could be

That may be one explanation , I can't remember if I measured 30 yrds or ranged it.
    I just put it down to the concrete radiating cold air .

12. Darron

Darron Reformed Bandit

Club:
    Millride FTC
    I think its to do with the magnetic properties of concrete that have a multiplier effect on the moons gravitational pull.

13. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    ETL / TEGC
    +1 on the Sportsmatch adjustable mounts, 66's I think they are?

Anyways, best way to optically centre the scope isn't to count turret revolutions or clicks, that will get you in the park but for preciseness there are two methods, one quick the other laborious.
    Quick route is to get a thick glass mirror, stick the scope on low mag and push the objective against the glass. Look through the eye-piece and move the parallax through it's range until you see two reticles. Simply rotate the windage/elevation until both reticles are on top of each other and you have a perfectly centred scope.
    Then it's just a matter of using the scope mounts to sight the rifle in until you're within a couple of clicks of perfect.

14. Evo

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    scope mounts have arrived, new nikko sterling 10 x 50 x 60 stuck on top so now its time to get this thing shooting straight

thanks for your help guys

cheers Evo

15. Evo

Club:
    ByleyFTC
    right chaps, I counted the elevation clicks and windage and put them both to center, I then zero,d the scope to 30 yrds using the adjustable mounts, once I did this I then went to the range and fine tuned the rifle in and I have to say was very impressed as once it was zero,d in it was shooting 10mm groups of 10 pellets to 30yrds with jsb heavies ,

now for my question, now that it is shooting spot on to 30yrds, do I take the turrets of and put them both to zero or do I just leave them where they are ???

also the side wheel is not on the 30yrd mark it on the 25-26yrd mark on the wheel , I was range finding on 40x and shooting on 20x mag, I have bought the stickers to put on the turrets and I,m going to buy a larger wheel so any advice on which one ???

many thanks for your help gents its really appreciated

cheers Bob

16. azuaro

azuaro Senior Member

You have received pretty good advice in all responses...If I could add something it would be about no over-torquing screws...Target for 40 in./lb. to a max of 45 in./lb...Most modern rings are good quality, with CNC machining the tolerances have narrowed favorably.

BKL, Talley, Warne, and many others are about in the same league (very good rings) and are cheap...don't mix or reverse the upper halves (of the rings) because some manufacturers have machined and lapped them as they are in the package.

I center the scope turrets by counting the clicks end to end and going to the middle, and always lap the bottom halves of the rings once they are mounted on the gun (to seat the scope perfectly)..,I use laping bars and 320 grit lapping compound.
    Optically centering the reticle of a scope works fine but in a good scope counting clicks and going to the middle does pretty much the same job and it is easier and faster to do...

If your gun has the grooves cut straight and you get any of these good rings you shouldn't have any problems requiring windage shimming. When you do need it, it is usually a misaligned groove, a no well seated ring or defective ring...Scopes of good quality very seldom are the cause.

If your scope is out of range for elevation, then before anything else check the barrel...I have seen many barrels off center (pointing up or down)...I usually try to straighten the barrel first and/or machine a bushing and center the bore/ barrel, but other people rotate (index) the barrel around the receiver...I don't like indexing, the barrels are either perfectly straight and centered or they are not part of my gun...To me indexing a barrel is like starting a F1 race with a patched tire.

Hope my $1 contribution makes sense and helps you with your project...

Best regards,

AZ

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  17. crosshair

crosshair Senior Member

I favour sportsmatch mounts.:)

18. swally

swally New Member

Me also and they are a reasonable price.

19. Tiger

Tiger Member

+1 for Sportsmatch.

Interesting, the mirror advice. What is the long version and is it better?

20. blacklab

blacklab Member

Club:
    nelson
    turrets

you need to put both turrets to zero when your happy with your preferred zero range