Best scope for HFT

Discussion in 'UKAHFT Questions and Answers' started by luddite, Sep 23, 2010.

1. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

I know that what will suit one will not suit another so bearing that in mind what do you think is the best scope for HFT and why?
    What depth of field and clarity does it possess to make you choose it? :confused:

I have already had an EB Sniper and a Leupold 2.5-8x36 recommended, but no tech detail so feel free to educate me. :)

What is the depth of field, can you see those close reducers, does it white out?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. DaveTV

DaveTV Member

Club:
    Who knows....
    The problem is no-one knows which is the best scope. Without trying every scope on the market for a minimum period of 6 months, which will take forever, there is no answer to this question, and then it is dependant on the testers opinion.

I've looked through loads of different scopes, and some that people rave about optically, I've never found that good, the Nightforce NXS's that I've looked through have never seemed any better than an MTC Viper, but Weaver optics seem very good to me, there is only ever a like or dislike based on personal preference.

Oh, and as far as I know there is no measurement for depth of field as there seems no way of actually testing it as its affected by your eye as well as the scope.

I'm currently using a Bushnell 6500 fyi, but I wouldn't take that as a recommendation, as it only works for me when I'm not being a muppet.

3. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

Maybe you should have initially asked for specific details in you other post Ken :D

My 2.5-8x36mm has the parallax set at 23y, it's perfectly clear (ret & target) from 13y but both are only slightly blurred at 8-10y, it's also clear enough at 55y to see a pellet strike although the magnification is the limiting factor at that distance. Mine has never whited out but I use a 4" sunshade.

4. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

What I am asking is what do you use and why.

Not a ramble about how a scope which suits one won't suit another, I know that. :cool:

What want to know is why you recommend your chosen scope. :confused:

5. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Thanks Pete. :)

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Same reason I pick all my gear Ken, Pete Dutton uses it!:D:D

Come to Emley this weekend and you'll see loads of stuff to try out!

7. NarkyMark

NarkyMark New Member

Club:
    TAWD VALE
    I tried a few scopes when I first started, stuck with a Bushy10x40 for a while, then I found the EB, can't see me changing anytime soon! Next to no Parallax Error for HFT ranges, distinguishable DOF differences (when Parallaxed accordingly) from 35-45, good quality bright enough optics, nice solid mildot ret, & all for just 300 buff too :)

Don't get me wrong it also has it's weaknesses (ie: Don't rely on its rangefinding ability on brightly lit targets :rolleyes:) but once you learn & understand it's weaknesses you come to appreciate its strengths, IMO anyway :)

8. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    Got a Leup Mark 4 and an EB for HFT, both very good but prefer the TMR ret on the Leup, nice and fine and lots of aim points, can be hard to pick it out on a dull day though. For the cash have to say the Eb is a better value buy but it is each to their own.

Normally score the same with both so I appear to have wasted a heap of cash on the Leupy!!!!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  9. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    I have used a few scope from MTC, Burris and Falcon. I have finally settled on the Hawke Tac30 10X42.

Depth of field is fantastic, with crystal clear optics from 11 yards to 45 yards with a 25 yard parallax, great build quality and under £200.

It has true mill-dots and half mill dot spacers and personally I have never had a problem with PX error with it. It has helped me improve my shooting and helped me to get 4th place at Maldon in round 4 and also Peter Higgins used one to take first place at round 6 of the UK's at Shepreth a few weeks back.

good luck

Gary

10. Ste Hughes

Ste Hughes Daystate's whipping boy

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT & ARC
    the 3-12x44 SR6 for me

best ret i have ever ever used

set on 9x and 20 odd yard PA i can make out pellet marks at 8 yards and 55 easily

i honestly do not see the point of spending big money on HFT scopes when the rules make it pretty much a level playing field for everyone anyway.

and until i start missing targets because i can't see them ill stick with my hawke :D

11. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Thanks for the answers guys. :)

I have been using a Burris 8-32x44 RA with a ballistic ret and did ok with it untill reducers were introduced but I can't see reducers under 22 yards after they have had a few shots on them. :(

12. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Get someone to wobble the paddle with the string while you look at it ;) Works for me

13. airborn68

airborn68 Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    Hi

I normally run Bushnell or Leup on my hunting rifles.
    I have only just got into HFT & wanted to try a hawke 1/2 mill-dot scope.
    I got a discount voucher from uttings so I ordered a panorama 4-12x40. Re focused it and off I went.

I am quite happy with the performance still needs a little tweak, but this cost me £100 delivered so if your on a budget its got to be worth a look.

Jon

14. Pathfinder

Pathfinder New Member

I notice that no-one uses 50mm objective scopes for HFT. I'm presuming that this is because the depth of field is less and that 40 to 44mm is felt to be the best compromise between brightness and depth of field?

What about objective lenses less than 40mm? Any use for HFT?

15. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Yep you got it, a few lads have been using the little x36 Leup and I know at least one scope tart that has his eyes on the x24 March:eek::eek: