Best rifle for the price

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by flyfisher, Jan 25, 2015.

1. mpr

mpr might not remember

Club:
    quarry hunters
    The old forgotten mpr

The old forgotten mpr.great gun. Old.and a good few round. Even better if its had a date wellman reg. Happy days

scrane likes this.
  2. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Wow Holly so much information about one make of gun, that's fantastic, thank you. I will not be looking to buy the one on gunstar, that,s for sure.

Many thanks to all of you,

wbd

3. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    Dave Wellman regs?

See now I am showing my lack of knowledeg again, who is Dave (I assume you meant Dave not Date ?). Does he still make regs?

wbd

4. john0neuk

john0neuk Well-Known Member

Club:
    Dartmoor Marksmen
    The guy is a genious and he is called Dave Welham ! Airmasters88 search in google!

5. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    £1200

I have not looked at the gunstar rifle . but if it is a standard stocked rifle it is way to much . the place to find a GC2 is on the BBS . if it is a silly price , it does not sell . john welham stocked rifles can go for a lot more . but they are usually heravy and long , so better for the collector . ??? HOLLY

PS my old GC2 113 made in 87 has i reckon had best part of hundreds of thousands of pellets through it . the gun shoots better now than when i got it .

PSS right just had a look . it is a 22 no good for target shooting and it is a standard stock £ 600 if he can find somebody who wants a 22 . gonna be hard work .

PSSS from a MK11 GC2 ( the MK1 is more for collectors , cos you have to send it back to the factory to alter the power ) you should get around 75 to 80 shots at 780 fps with 8.4s with the MK11 bleed valve closer to a 100 shots , same with the MK111 . the rifles have quite long barrels at 21 inches , so follow through must be good . but they are a very forgiving rifle to shoot . have a look at the action , not a sharp edge on it . old fordy said he had made a rifle that did not need tunning . HE WAS RIGHT .

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  6. what barn door

Club:
    Kingsley
    Fascinating

Thank you both, very interesting information, I would love to see one and bring to the aim, however I am in no rush, I would wait until something of the right make/model and price comes along.

Great insight though,

Thanks

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Saying

The old saying apply's " try before buy " and by that i don't mean a couple of shot's . i mean half a day or more . accuracy , reliability and suitability for your intended purpose . condition is a big factor in the price and of course the stock . marks on stocks can be got out . marks on the blueing/blacking . i can never make up my mind what it is , look's different in different lights . can be expensive , it all depends on price and what you want it for . get a good GC2 and you will never be outgunned ??? HOLLY

PS take your time . :)

8. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    Heh,Heh,Heh once shot nothings the same.If you can't equal a GC2 don't buy anything else.
    If you can equal a GC2, the GC2 shooter must be having a bad day! :D ;).
    HERX77 .

9. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Mine

Mine has just gone off to sportsmatch for some new trigger sears . made 1987 . shot on a regualr basis ever since . still easily good enough to win herx ??? HOLLY:)

10. KevinHarris

KevinHarris New Member

I get better benchrest scores with mine than I did with the Steyr LG110. The HFT will shoot many more than the 50 shots you need for a benchrest card all in the right place and without a potentially troublesome regulator.

11. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Club:
    Buckley Wood
    Hft500

Hi all i consider the HFT500 to be more than adequate for bench rest shooting it's consistency to put pellet on pellet is superb from 10 to 55 yards. The rifle has a good weight to it making it very stable and it lends itself readily to bench rest shooting, the price is also reasonable for the excellent returns in accuracy consistency up to 100 pellets at one fill.One could pay a lot more for a rifle but accuracy is in the hands of the user and how well the pellets are made.Cheers.

12. Fiestazetecmk2

Fiestazetecmk2 New Member

A better rifle.tx2oohc. Fabulous rifle.anyone can shoot a pcp but it takes talent to be accurate with spring powered rifle.

13. RAIDER

RAIDER Active Member

Club:
    East Devon FTC
    Best rifle for the money

I think it's a myth, put an exspensive rifle in say my hands results ok. Put the same rifle in say Woodys hands and totally different. I hear many on about the accuracy and things that go with it. First you have to learn to shoot, the most exspensive kit can't do that.
    I have seen guys at golf clubs turn up with all the kit with sly looks at the old fella with antique clubs. No contest the old guy every time.
    It's the old saying " ALL THE GEAR NO IDEA" learn to shoot and AA400 MPR AR20 are as good as anything. IMO.
    Jeremy

14. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    CZ 200s will shoot as good as anything out there :)

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    As a dyed-in-the-wool springer fan I agree with the sentiment, but the OP is asking about benchrest.

It's very, very difficult to get the best from any springer shooting from a bench due to the way the rifle jumps. Especially in those benchrest disciplines which mandate a solid block rest rather than a bean or sand bag (some of them do I'm not sure which).

16. Waldo

Waldo Active Member

Club:
    B O A C, B R P C ,
    I'm not saying it's impossible to shoot the Heavy Varmint class with a springer, but it's hard enough with a well set up dedicated Benchrest rifle and clamps . I tried it not so long ago but used a T200 sr .177, not bad but didn't get any where near my PCP BR rifles accuracy.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  17. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    I got 2nd place in our clubs league with a 2nd hand Theoben Rapid!!! Cost me about £750 and was a regged Quickfill one.