Best hft scope for the money

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Snipes, May 12, 2019.

1. Snipes

Snipes If you catch a weasel asleep p#@s in its ear...

Club:
    DAR
    Looking to get a hft scope between 100 and say 300 what would be the best one to get to do the job. I k kw second hand is an option too.

Any advice would be grateful from experienced hft shooters

Thanks
    Gaz

2. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer New Member

Not very experienced, only shot 5 hft's.
    Picked up a Viper connect which I used on the last one without getting a chance to do a range card.
    Guessed holdovers, scored a 51.
    I find it easier to get my eye in the same position on the scope so get less parallex errors.

Brian Keary likes this.
  3. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Second hand I would look at an older optisan viper. I picked mine up for £100 posted off a forum.
    New, maybe an optisan evx. I have no affiliation with optisan, just think their scopes are very good for HFT and a good price.

However it will always depend on what scope suits your eyes so you should always try to look through as many as possible first.

If you cant look through many. A second hand viper or evx 10x44 wont lose much value. So you can switch to something else and not be out of pocket

Peter Trimmer and pbrown like this.
  4. madplinker

madplinker Member

A good few people use the connect which can be a marmite type thing due to eye close in. Also the glass can vary from scope to scope. Evx a good option or a second hand sightron fixed 10 mag with mmd ret.
    Like most poeple have said try has much as you can before you buy and see what suits your eyes best.

5. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer New Member

A couple of our clubs AA shooters use Burris short mag scopes. The 3-9x32.
    Having chatted with them, they say the Balistic plex reticle (think that was the name) is great for hft.
    Zero at 35 I think, Mark above is 25, one below 40 and bottom 45.
    Think that was what they said but not 100%.

6. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I started with a connect, then an evx fixed 10 ( I just fancied a change ) then a sightron fixed 10 ( for a week ).

Went back to a connect when I realised I was having parallax error problems with the other stuff. I was getting vertical groups at 40-45 yards.

No doubt my technique.

Get a connect - they’re not the clearest but they are clear enough and you cut out parallax error pretty much entirely. And the depth of field is great - I can see kills at 10 yards when others are just looking at a blurred smudge....

Second hand ones come up for about 160-170

Mr. C and Peter Trimmer like this.
  7. Mr. C

Mr. C New Member

Club:
    Swallows Field Target Club
    Agree with Dan, settled on a connect for the same reason, from a Viper 10x.
    It doesn't cut parallax errors altogether, still usable for ranging, but much better. And, as Dan said on the closest targets you can look through the edge of the lense to pick up the kill on a shot up target if you're not sure.
    And I wear glasses

Dan Smith likes this.