Best hft scope for the money

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Snipes, May 12, 2019.

1. Snipes

Snipes What could possibly go wrong ........

Club:
    DAR , Emley Moor FTC
    Looking to get a hft scope between 100 and say 300 what would be the best one to get to do the job. I k kw second hand is an option too.

Any advice would be grateful from experienced hft shooters

Thanks
    Gaz

2. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

Not very experienced, only shot 5 hft's.
    Picked up a Viper connect which I used on the last one without getting a chance to do a range card.
    Guessed holdovers, scored a 51.
    I find it easier to get my eye in the same position on the scope so get less parallex errors.

Brian Keary likes this.
  3. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

Second hand I would look at an older optisan viper. I picked mine up for £100 posted off a forum.
    New, maybe an optisan evx. I have no affiliation with optisan, just think their scopes are very good for HFT and a good price.

However it will always depend on what scope suits your eyes so you should always try to look through as many as possible first.

If you cant look through many. A second hand viper or evx 10x44 wont lose much value. So you can switch to something else and not be out of pocket

Peter Trimmer and pbrown like this.
  4. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

A good few people use the connect which can be a marmite type thing due to eye close in. Also the glass can vary from scope to scope. Evx a good option or a second hand sightron fixed 10 mag with mmd ret.
    Like most poeple have said try has much as you can before you buy and see what suits your eyes best.

5. Peter Trimmer

Peter Trimmer Member

A couple of our clubs AA shooters use Burris short mag scopes. The 3-9x32.
    Having chatted with them, they say the Balistic plex reticle (think that was the name) is great for hft.
    Zero at 35 I think, Mark above is 25, one below 40 and bottom 45.
    Think that was what they said but not 100%.

6. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I started with a connect, then an evx fixed 10 ( I just fancied a change ) then a sightron fixed 10 ( for a week ).

Went back to a connect when I realised I was having parallax error problems with the other stuff. I was getting vertical groups at 40-45 yards.

No doubt my technique.

Get a connect - they’re not the clearest but they are clear enough and you cut out parallax error pretty much entirely. And the depth of field is great - I can see kills at 10 yards when others are just looking at a blurred smudge....

Second hand ones come up for about 160-170

Mr. C and Peter Trimmer like this.
  7. Mr. C

Mr. C New Member

Club:
    Swallows Field Target Club
    Agree with Dan, settled on a connect for the same reason, from a Viper 10x.
    It doesn't cut parallax errors altogether, still usable for ranging, but much better. And, as Dan said on the closest targets you can look through the edge of the lense to pick up the kill on a shot up target if you're not sure.
    And I wear glasses

Dan Smith likes this.
  8. Snipes

Club:
    DAR , Emley Moor FTC
    Which model connect is it though that you guys use as there is a few

MTC Viper Connect SL 3-12x24 AMD Scope seen this one and also one with 3-12-32 with a rubber eye piece on, which would be the better of the 2 or is there others

Also i see there is a few reticle choices which would i benefit from doing HFT the AMD or SCB type.

Thanks
    Gaz

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. miketowler

miketowler Banned

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    I suggest if your looking at a mtc you try first as I purchased one and could not get on with it at all? Also I have heard that there’s a lot of Friday afternoon ones and I think that’s what I had
    Busting the budget a bit have a look at the discovery ED £399.99 (www.discoveryoptics.co.uk I’m getting one when I’ve got the spare money

10. Snipes

Club:
    DAR , Emley Moor FTC
    Thats the problem i dont want to spend that money on a scope for hft incase me and the lad dont enjoy it as we have FT setups too. It starts to get expensive when you have to buy high end stuff x3 as my lads do it with me lol

11. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Active Member

Club:
    Emley Moor FTC
    I use x24. Some use x32 but whichever you go for definitely get the scb ret for HFT ( they both come with a rubber eyepiece that hardly anyone uses! )

12. Snipes

Club:
    DAR , Emley Moor FTC
    i have read the x24 has more depth of field to the x32 is this true and thanks i have the similar reticle to the SCB in my ft/benchrest scope and i get on with that a lot better to traditional mil dot scopes

13. Air Armed

Air Armed Team AJP

Club:
    Castle FTC
    I have a 10x44 viper I’d let go.

Message me if interested

Paul

14. Bo_Nidle

Bo_Nidle Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    I have used Connects, both 24mm and 32mm almost exclusively for the last three years only changing to a conventional scope on my main rifle a few weeks ago.

They are great scopes. I found the 32mm gives a brighter image while the depth of field difference in the 24mm was negligible.

That said I standardised on the 24mm for my main rifle and my back up (which still has the 24mm fitted).

Get the SCB2 reticle if you get one.

I didn't like the dedicated Connect mount though as its a little too high.

Just get a set of decent 30mm mediums and mount them forward of the adjustment turrets.

15. A458

A458 Member

Club:
    Nomads
    There are numerous scopes on the market either new or good quality second hand. The MTC Viper can be very blurry but I have 2 Optisan EVX fixed 10x, one slightly better, also Hawke Sidewinder fixed 10x; use a fixed scope as you can't change anything on gun after first shot on course.
    Depth of field increases with the reduction in the objective lens. Look through as many scopes as possible to find what is best for YOUR eyes, this will be different for your son.

16. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    When I was shooting HFT my favourites on a springer were:

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. Very sharp optics, bdc ret works well and extremely un-cluttered. Easy to re-PX to HFT distance, and a tad over £100 2nd hand. Soooo much better than a viper 10x44 or any Hawke toot.

Nikon prostaff or monarch with BDC ret. the ret has circles instead of dots, so place the circle round the kill at longer distance, hard to miss. Need to get fixed focus and adjust front lens again. I have shot not only hft, but done quite well at FT out to 55yds with my 2.5-10x40, dropping the 3rd circle around the kill and it usually goes down!
    Prostaff with bdc for a ton or less, just picked up a 2-8x32 bdc monarch for just over, that’s a bargain!
    I honestly think the Nikon bdc ret is a HFT secret!

17. Snipes

Club:
    DAR , Emley Moor FTC
    Im more confused now than before lol there is so much to choose from

18. miketowler

miketowler Banned

Club:
    Nomads, furnace mill
    Ok if you are confused get your self down to a club, ask to have a look though as many scopes as you can, other than that look at buying from optic warehouse, you can return a scope if you don’t like but suggest you start at the cheaper end as you don’t get a money refund just a credit against another scope

19. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    Hawke panorama 4-12x40. Think there's one on evilbay now for £90

20. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    get yourself a big nikko,, shoot FT instead, you know you want to, hft is for mud swampers :D:D:D:D , only jokin, sightron s111 10x42 second hand, fantastic scope