1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best H.F.T. stock design

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Tyke, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Tyke

Tyke Member

There's been a couple of posts about which is the best scope to have for H.F.T. But what about the best stock designs?

2. Weevie

Weevie Banned

One thing that seems to be a regular component in a winning HFT rifle is a target style pistol grip (as opposed to the sporting style grip, found for example on the standard S4x0). Dommies, Steyrs, custom stocks fitted to Daystates, they often seem to have the target style grip.

Makes sense when you think about it. The sporter style grip is found often on shotties where you're often standing, shooting upwards and at a moving target. The sporting style grip is well suited for this.

HFT on the other hand is a static target sport, often shot prone. The target style grip allows the wrist a much more natural position. Anything that relaxed the trigger finger hand has got to help.

(I've said this on and off for a quite a while, shame I don't shoot as well as I reason! :cool::eek::D )

Also with more unsupported standers being at greater ranges a reasonably deep fore-end with a reasonable heft to the rifle for stability is useful.

Adjustable cheek pieces and adjustable butt-pads are good too.

Hmmm...seems like FT rifles fit the bill quite well! :D

Thing is though, in HFT you can put in a respectable score with an unmodified S4x0, which is what's so great about HFT.

Just goes to show, the Welsh do come up with good ideas now and again! :D:p

3. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

One that fits properly! Extra depth for that one free stander on a course isn't as big a deal as a lot of folks make out, the extra depth is of more use to those of us who shoot low to the ground and need to get over obstructions. Adjustable cheek piece and butt pad helps make a stock fit.

As long as it fits nice nothing else matters to me really.

Ryan

4. Scoch

Scoch HOW!!!

Club:
    Tayside Airgun Club
    As Ryan said, fit is very important, any stock that allows you to shoulder the rifle and get a perfect sight picture is good, but personally for me trigger fit is most important allowing you to repeat the action in any position.

5. Tyke

Tyke Member

The pistol grip seems to make a big difference as it brings the elbow down which is better for us “senior” shooters but what are the thoughts about a easily adjustable butt plate and can you adjust one during the competition? :shot:

6. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

No point, as you can't adjust it during a comp.;)

Ryan