Best cheap high mag scope

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by SamBro87, Jan 11, 2019.

1. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    Has anyone any suggestions for a cheap high mag scope, under a hundred quid
    preferably. A member at the club has mentioned ZOS before but I can't seem to find anything.

Thanks
    Sam

2. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC
    Tough one for the money, but it depends what you mean by "high mag" and what it will be used on and used for?

In my experience there are cheap high mag scopes, but there are no good, cheap, high mag scopes.

More info = better advice ;)

James

SamBro87 likes this.
  3. Marrr

Marrr Member

Club:
    Castleton / Nelson
    My advice would be save your money till you can afford to buy a decent scope I went down the line of buying a zos off eBay it almost made me give up then I bought a range of other cheapish scopes still no better then I saved enougth for a second hand big nikko mk3 and realised the difference so save save save buy once and don't get discouraged

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  4. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    Apologies, I want the highest magnification possible for under 100. I do understand that cheap usually means crap but it would never be my "forever scope" I'll be using it for hft only and will possibly be mounted on a s400 :)

5. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    For some reason money disappears as soon as it comes in so saving can be hard for me :)

6. Bezzer

Bezzer Member

Club:
    Kingsley HFT
    You don't need a high mag scope for HFT must be over 95% of HFTers use x10 or less.

7. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC
    Spot on, a decent 4-16x50 would be better than a poor 10-50x50, the weight saving alone is a saviour in HFT, you just don't need the mag, and like I said before, the higher you go the better glass you need, and at your budget it's a mistake.

This is not what you want to hear - it's what you need to hear. ;)

James

JerryD likes this.
  8. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    IF its for HFT then a 3-9x40ao scope with a multi aim point reticle is all you need. High mag is a massive disadvantage in HFT

9. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    I think I got hft and ft mixed up, apologies for the newbie error. I will be shooting ft with my arse on a cushion

10. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Then DON'T buy a Zos! Save a bit more money & buy a 2nd hand Nikko Diamond or a Falcon T50

LUDJEV77 and SamBro87 like this.
  11. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    For under £100 buy anything, it wont matter what one they will all be close to useless. Id go with 2nd hand Zos, poss off the Bay of E?

Stretch to £200 and you can look for a 2nd hand Falcon T35.
    Excellent optics, range finds out to 50y as good as anything I have ever used. Its only 50-55y lets its range finding down, the answer to which is shoot all targets over 50 as 52.5y.

T35 is about the best value for £ Ft scope out there, if you can find one.
    Actually may know for one for sale?

Monkeyman, LUDJEV77 and RobF like this.
  12. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Active Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    Nikko used to sell a mildot side focus 24x scope for £150. I have seen one of those used extremely effectively by someone who couldn’t afford a lot.

13. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Sam, most of us will be back up the club Sunday after a couple of weeks away, so I daresay you'll be able to look through everything from Zos to Sightron & get an idea of what suits you

top gun phil, LittleJack and SamBro87 like this.
  14. LittleJack

LittleJack Active Member

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    Sam, this is the answer. Don't buy nothing yet have a good look around first. You may have a nice member that'll sell you something mega really cheap!

15. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    I won't buy anything yet mate, gonna talk everyone at the club on Sunday about options. Thanks for the advice everyone!

nat, pbrown and RobF like this.
  16. terryn

terryn Member

Club:
    Kent Woodsmen
    There are many shooters in Field Target who have been in your position,I know that has been the case at my own club
    with new shooters. If funds are very tight and the £100 mark is currently your limit and you do not want to wait
    for a used scope to come available look at scopes at your club. I for one started shooting again when I retired and
    came across 40 mag scope on ebay brand new the mildot ZOS scope. Comes complete with mounts, sunshade
    parallax sidewheel. Yes they are not the best scope in the world but they are a damn good starter high mag scope
    at a sensible price around the £130 mark.
    I had mine for several years and was perfectly happy with it. I did find it was fine for rangefinding out to 45yds,
    beyond that I found it best to go beyond 55yds on the sidewheel and very slowly move the wheel back again and
    stop when the image came into focus.
    Changing to a bigger ( 2nd hand sidewheel ) helped.

Good luck
    Terry

17. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    Thanks Terry, I'm looking forward to sampling more scopes at the club, there are some beauties. As the finances improve then so will my gear hopefully.

18. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Trouble is Sam, that those 'beauties' carry a price tag near the cost of a good s/h car;):D:D
    I know that you're looking at high mag, but don't ignore the 8-32 scopes - I've used one for years & that'll never go to a new home if I can help it - will be swapping that back onto the 'back-up gun' as soon as I'm OK with my new scope, which will probably mean that the scope off that gun will be surplus (a ZOS 10-40x50 if you're interested)

SamBro87 likes this.
  19. SamBro87

SamBro87 New Member

Club:
    Iceni marksmen
    I'll speak to you on Sunday if you're about

20. rich

rich Active Member

If Falcon had made the T35 with a mildot ret I think they would have sold thousands more of them. Optically they are first class, let down only by the plain cross hair ret which doesn't give you the help in windy conditions that mildots might.

The rangefinding at 50 to 55 yards needs you to be disciplined and always come to sharp focus from one direction, don't "hunt" back and forth as you can with a big Nikko. It isn't a backlash thing either. If you are used to the sharpness an average big Nikko can deliver then keep turning the T35 wheel as it gets crisper than you think possible. Mine works well if I can see a Posidriv screw head to focus on; once the cross is sharp, that's it.

Good luck with the search; the Zos scopes were very variable and you might find a good one. Our club has one fitted to a S200 as a trainer rig and it's very popular.

SamBro87 likes this.