Benchrest with .22 Air

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by mickmep, Apr 5, 2018.

1. mickmep

mickmep New Member

wonder if anyone can help with a question that's been going round my mind.
    is there any advantage or disadvantage to using a .22 air rifle for bench rest as opposed to a .177 ?
    i appreciate that most high end benchrest guns are .177 as they are really FT or HFT guns, but for say a FX Impact would there be any disadvantage using the .22 ?
    indoors i cant see it would make much difference, but would it be a slight advantage if shooting outdoors ?

thanks

2. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    It's a myth that .22's are less affected by the wind than .177's sub 12 ft.lb

BR is scored with a .22 marking gauge anyway so in theory it should make no difference. We already compete against .22 Rimfire with .177 Air on an even keel.

3. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    .177 may be a safer bet if you want to do any FT or HFT as well but as Bri says for BR it won't make much difference.

4. castle

castle Member

Nothing wrong with the impact in .22, i use that and a walther and steyr in .177 and get the same scores (ish) no matter what i use. As said above, they use a .22 probe anyway and you could argue that the probe follows the line of least resistance when shooting with .177 which might end up in a lower score?:)

5. Joseph Stakun

Joseph Stakun New Member

Club:
    Dade City R&G club
    I shoot 25 and 50M BR and use a RAW TM1000 in .177 cal. I've tried 22s but they just don't shoot as well. My gun has a polygonal barrel and likes the JSB 13.3 gr pellets the best.