Benchrest stocks

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Phil Kennett, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Just wondering

So what makes a bench rest stock, is it Shape, weight, length, height.

Thanks

2. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    No takers on this, BR stocks seem to be very unique in there shape, interested to hear the advantages of the custom built stocks against FT or HFT style.

3. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

Its a pretty broad question, I would guess the best stock depends on the type and class of benchrest you shoot.

I shoot NSRA benchrest which doesn't allow a rear rest, the butt must be in my shoulder. This means the stock needs to fit me more like a 'target' rifle. The stock I use is actually an adjustable HFT stock with a front rest plate and I don't have a weight limit to worry about.

If you Google benchrest stocks you usually see the type used for UKBR22 type benchrest. These are setup for use on front and rear rests and I think have restrictions based on the class you compete in.

4. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Many thanks Paul, I like yourself shoot without a rear rest, many of the custom stocks are very squarish which makes sense if being used on a rear rest, I hadn't really thought about that, so like yourself a target rifle stock would suit me more

5. Paul_T

Paul_T Member

The stock I use is the acz ultra from sure shot. Its not very pretty but it has alot of adjustment.

Phil Kennett likes this.
  6. mrgeoff

mrgeoff Member

Club:
    Broadlands / SOKE
    A true BR stock will have a wide fore-end, a lot further forward than a hampster. Then its very stable on the rest.
    Look at the "Anschutz 9015 Benchrest Start" wooden stock, much longer than the club stock, and a flat base all the way to the front.

Note the hand grip is the same between the club stock and the BR stock, the grip is ideal for BR, but terrible on the club if your trying to use it for FT....

7. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    thanks Geoff, makes sense

8. castle

castle Member

as above, very flat front end so that it sits square on the front rest, apart from that not much else if it's for the off the shoulder sort of benchrest. Gary Cane is doing them now as well and look lovely although i do find most of the dedicated benchrest stocks look a bit like a paddle.:)