Benchrest Outdoor Comps - do benchresters travel?

Discussion in 'Benchrest' started by Tone, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Bristol Aero & Quarry Hunters
    I put a post up about a Benchrest Comp where you shoot from a covered firing point on the outdoor range against fellow benchresters.

For me, accuracy indoors and postal comps is only a very small percentage of the enjoyment compared against competing head to head with fellow air rifle shooters on any given day, with that tricksy air movement they call 'wind'.

The HFT and FT boys and girls all travel to comps, but I have noticed that there are not many Benchrest comps organised or certainly not advertised on here?

I posted a link to a comp which would be a great place to start: Benchrest Winter Open Shoot November 23, 24 and 25th 2018

But dont faff around thinking you might go, only commitment will actually get you there.

In terms of rules I am encouraging free style, i.e. up to but not over 12ft lb of course, but you can use front rest only and gloved hand for rear support, front rest and shoulder the rifle, and even front rest and rear rest but not joined together, and none of the rests fixed to the bench.

I think all the different benchrest rules around 'rests' is stifling the growth of benchrest comps. Of course front and back rests have an advantage over front only indoors, but not necessarily outdoors where the ability to make quick adjustment to twitchy wind conditions can score you extra points.

So, is it true that Benchresters dont travel to comps and only stay locked in their respective clubs?

I would like to think not, if there are new people competing for the first time at the Portishead comp that will certainly be very encouraging.

2. Phil Kennett

Phil Kennett Active Member

Club:
    SARC - MAD
    Interesting post Tone, I only shoot BR for fun at the local range, it is however confusing with all the rules trying to judge how I score. I love the precision require for BR and merely shoot my own guns off against each other including PCP and springers. I use a front beanbag and shoulder the rifle along with a gloved hand for rear support.

3. Ash Bailey

Ash Bailey Herder of delinquent cats.

Club:
    Parkstone GC, Glevum, Nomads HFT.
    I can't really contribute much to this thread regarding travel, but I find it amazing how popular Benchrest is with the shooters of all abilities at Parkstone Gun Club. It has been a great leveller, all ages, skills and a huge range of rifles involved.

Dreamer likes this.
  4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Interestingly SWEFTA have just voted to start an inter club outdoor BR league, this will only require one trip a year to shoot BR, but then as FT / HFT'ers the membership will be used to traveling.

Good to see Portishead giving non members / new BR shooters a chance to have a go. I asked a club member about the possibility of trying BR some time ago, but was told 'no chance' so I sold the rifle I had spare to a BR shooter in Devon.

5. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    It was good to see some new faces at the Portishead comp last weekend.

Very challenging conditions and having to aim off 25mm to 35mm in some cases just to hit a 2mm diameter 10 ring at a target 25m away.

There will be another comp at Portishead in March.

Portishead also held the first AGM of the new Benchrest UK organisation, good to see that people are concerned for the future of the sport and looking to be inclusive of all the different styles.

Rick White likes this.
  6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    As an outsider looking in, I am still trying to get my head around the differences between the various organisations.

True I am only looking at one aspect of the sport, and really for my own selfish purposes, but on searching the net it does make me chuckle to find organisations claiming to represent "All BR Shooters in the UK" that only hold full bore competitions and do not mention air rifles at all.

I enjoyed my visit to Portishead, BR really is a VERY different world to any of the shooting disciplines I have been involved with over the years.

paul.w likes this.
  7. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

Certainly the last 2 years or so, I've seen a huge increase in the amount of people coming to me for all out br stocks.

I've never shot any formal br myself ,but am well versed in it.

One thing that I hear alot, is that the rules are quite restrictive to new comers using fairly normal kit.

The weight restrictions even, often mean that a br specific scope has to be bought, just to come in under weight to compete in a formal class.(mostly on springers)
    Said scope is then essentially useless for much else.

On the plus side, there seems to be a lot of people shooting informal comps, and pushing the ranges out even past 50.

I cant see how a less strict set of rules for an outdoor version can possibly be a bad thing.

Outdoor 75m is always fun...

PeterD likes this.
  8. paul.w

paul.w Member

Club:
    Mad, lea Valley
    in my club half travel and the other half just like to shoot at the club. Some have a lot of heavy kit they don't want to lug around.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  9. PeterD

PeterD New Member

Being a disabled shooter, I practice Benchrest more than anything. Our club in Westleton, Suffolk hold 2 long range competition's each year with targets at 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 yards. I guess this is in the realms of extreme benchrest.
    Why are there so many different sets of rules based around the same competition format?
    As to travelling, I find that a bit more difficult these days. The biggest problem is competitions being at the furthest parts of our country.
    If there is enough interest, I'm certain our club would put on a competition at our out door range.

10. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

11. Tone

Tone Active Member

Club:
    Peter, there is only one way to find out, put on a comp, advertise it as much as possible, try and make the rules as inclusive as possible, give plenty of notice of the date, make it afordable and see what happens, nothing to lose.

PeterD likes this.
  12. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

13. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

hi if your up for it would like to take you up on that I have pm you

14. PeterD

PeterD New Member

Definitely the best way to go. As we already have 2 long range competition's, which are really benchrest, then I'll sort the details and post up an invite.

15. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

check dates on the BENCHREST UK webpage calendar then it wont clash with other shoots

16. Graham freeman

Graham freeman Member

STILL TIME, HAVE A GO YOU WILL LOVE IT

Entry forms can be downloaded from the Events Page At
    http://www.benchrestuk.com/

Portishead Shooting Club
    Bench Rest Open Shoot
    Aka The Brass Monkey March 8th 9th and 10th 2019

Glevum Target and Sports Club

Benchrest Shoot April 19th 20th 21st

Email Colin Evans if you are interested

colinevans120@gmail.com