Beginers question

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by markm, Dec 15, 2013.

1. markm

markm Member

Club:
    Emley
    I now have a EV2 mk4 and a BSA 10x 50 x 60 scope
    The scope came with a pair of mounts but they are very low and after watching and talking to a few people at Emley today I became aware that a lot of shooters have high rise blocks and rails on there guns.
    I understand that this has the effect of flattening the trajectory of the pellet at longer ranges i:e not having to add as many clicks on to the top turret and also making it easier to see through the scope.

As a beginner would it be better to lift the scope up or just get on with it as it is

Is there a ideal height from the centre of the barrel to centre of the scope if I decide to fit risers and a rail

Also does the EV2 have slope built into its standard block (I don't really understand this as I thought the scope would have to be parallel with the barrel

Any advice greatly appreciated

Regards
    Mark

2. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

Sit with your EV pointing at a target and close your eyes and assume a comfortable position then open your eyes. :shot:

That's the height your scope should be. :cool:

3. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

Ken that's where your going wrong,you're meant to keep your eyes open when you shoot at the target. :D

4. DaveRobinson

DaveRobinson NEFTA Chairman

Club:
    Anston
  5. speed

speed jamie

Club:
    emley moor ftc
    hi mark

i think you was talking to me earlier, (green coat and green emley hat) :)

it would be better to start with a rail as i setup with just mounts then ended up getting the rail last week so had to set everything up again, time that could be spent shooting..

6. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Howdo .

Howdo , a good starting point is three and a half inches with a Big Bsa . ( like of flight to line of sight ) get much above that and you will need adjustable mounts . But you will have to get your close ones well sorted . or the advantage will be lost ??? HOLLY

7. Suffolk Rifle

Suffolk Rifle Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Personally, I like the scope close to the barrel, but then, that's my 'style' & might not suit everyone