Because it's awesome

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Neil-T, May 14, 2014.

1. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Apologies if there is too many threads about the new Walther LGU, but picked mine up this afternoon. Got it home, scoped it up and then put 5 shots over the chrono straight from the bag with JSB 8.4g 4.52.

Had a few shots at 15 yds to get windage and rough zero then moved out to 30 yds for my actual zero. Shot it until my left arm ached from cocking it, groups were impressive to say the least, and I've only tried the one batch of pellets. CTC 5 shot group at 30 yds was 12mm.
    To coin a phrase from a good friend ( Dave Penman) it's MEGGA!:shot:

2. Ratinator

Ratinator Well-Known Member

Club:
    Millride FTC / Nomads
    No excuses

May be with lots And lots and lots of practise , you'll hit more than 16 at millride next time.:D:D:p

3. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Cheeky bugger. Letting go of my under lever (slipped out of my hand) on lane 2 didn't help. Went high on everything for a few lanes. Just need an FT stock for it now.

Where's Warren.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Bad

Actually ratinator , neil is not all Bad . i put it down to vibtation of that old cannon of his going off has rattled his brain .get a PCP Neil and come back to the light side ??? HOLLY:):D

5. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    My brain has always been rattled Dave:eek:o too much head banging when I was young.:D And as for getting a PCP, I do own 3, I have just let young Andrew Wadkins borrow my Pro-Target to get used to and shoot in the Euros with it. The other 2 are just play things:p and not for serious target shooters like me. You just gotta feel that recoil, it makes you feel alive:shot:

See you at GP2 if you are going.

Neil.

6. skires

skires Well-Known Member

What are you calling it?

7. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Let's have a poll

Not thought about it yet Col. Open to suggestions mate.

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Gp 2

9. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    Get yourself a proper springer Holly

10. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    What Bri said:rolleyes::shot::rolleyes:

11. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    Long range testing

Been up the club all day and can't believe how good it was grouping.
    55yds best 5 shot group was 19mm CTC. It doesn't seem pellet fussy as I was using 7.9s and 2 batches of 8.4s and they all grouped well. Can't wait to get a proper FT Scope on it and a better stock.

As for the name Col. Think I will just call it "Deadly"

In the end I was messing about and shooting targets at silly ranges up to 80yds, and I was hitting them within 3/4 shots.

MEGGA.

12. skires

skires Well-Known Member

All sounds good.

I was very impressed with that one of Nick Murphy's.

I thought it was stiff to cock but there was just a nudge in the shoulder when fired.

" The Dark Destroyer " and now " Deadly ". Have you had a Psych analysis lately?:D

13. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Col, you should know the answer to that question already mate - Springer shooters really should avoid any form of psych analysis - we know it won't end well :D

14. Neil-T

Neil-T Boingers forever.

Club:
    Far Coley
    :Dexcellent reply Bri, put a huge smile on my face.:D

15. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Ah, the true sign of a springer shooter - we might be clinically insane, but at least we have a smile on our face :D

16. Kgbmark

Kgbmark New Member

Brian - Any tips on how to set the LGU trigger which I understand is the same as that on the LGV? The first stage is very long.

17. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Yup, I've got a method that seems to work or at least it'll get to pretty close to where you want to be and will just need a bit of tweaking to get it perfect.

Have a read of page 5 of the LGV review I did - there's a suggested method on there that if you follow it will give you a first stage of around 7mm, with a light and crisp 2nd stage and no creep.

http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18782&page=5

I've got some photo's in there to show you the internal workings of the trigger too, but what you might also find useful is to look at this animation of how an CD trigger works (they work in a very similar way).

http://www.arld1.com/tx200trigger.html

So there's two screws in the trigger blade and one behind on the CD trigger - exactly the same as the LGV/U and they do exactly the same thing and work in the same way. the only difference is that the screws are spaced wider in the Walther trigger, but it'll help you to visualise what it is you're adjusting.

The manual isn't clear on setting up the trigger, basically once you've got it close, it's then a balancing act between the two screws in the trigger blade.

18. Kgbmark

Kgbmark New Member

Brian - many thanks for the comprehensive reply. I will have a read and give it a go over the weekend.

Are you not tempted to get a LGU yourself? I prefer mine to my TX200 MK3 (admittedly untuned).

19. Brian.Samson

Club:
    No worries.. have a go and please let me know how you get on with the trigger.. I've had a few people asking me about this already and it's looking like the LGU is going to be extremely popular, so it's a problem most people are going to want to solve.

If I can get some feedback, I'll put all the photo's and trigger tuning procedure up on it's own webpage - I might even create an animation for the Walther trigger if I get the time.

Yup, I'm very tempted by the LGU but I'm holding off on one for the moment.

Not because I don't like them, it's because for this season I've had Jon Budd build me up a couple of very nice TX internals. I shot with just bog standard TX Mk1 internals last year (without a piston weight and with better fitting guides) but for this year I need to bring something a bit more special to the table when I shoot out in NZ at the Worlds. If I'm going to have to go head to head with TX SR's, Whiscombes, and tricked up Diana AirKings I want something that's going to at least give me a fighting chance against the semi-recoiless brigade :rolleyes:

So I've put so much time, effort and money into the TX's now that with just 4 months to go before the Worlds, I need to focus on those rather than take a punt on a new gun and then have to think about getting adjustable trigger blades and custom laminate stocks made up etc etc..

If I didn't have a race tuned springer already - the LGU would be at the top of my list and I'll more than likely get one after September and give it an outing in the NEFTA Winter league.

20. Kgbmark

Kgbmark New Member

Brian - I totally understand why you are sticking with the TX200s with the worlds coming up.

Jon Budd is on my short list of tuners to contact regarding short stroking my TX200.