Barrel Weights

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by D. Clark, Nov 23, 2013.

1. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    I have been looking though the pictures in the bench rest section and note that some rifles have what i can only assume to be barrel weights on them.

I'm probably going to regret asking this but can someone please explain what they do and how would you know you or your rifle needed one.
    The answer may be very technical so please if its possible keep it simple.

2. Mildot

Mildot New Member

Club:
    Anston FTC
    From what I understand (just to start you off) they play a small role in the overall balance of the rifle and a larger part in the barrel harmonics (affecting resonance). I could be completely wrong, and I'm sure someone will point out if I am :)

3. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

It's basically a fine tuning aid for the barrel, you slide it up or down the barrel until you hit the "sweet spot" that's gives the smallest groups, thinner barrels benefit from this aid sometimes, it's very rifle specific however , I have tried it on several rifles yet found no benefit on most!

4. mick2808

mick2808 New Member

Club:
    Pontefract
    For best results you should be inside and bench your rifle to iliminate the human error. Then as said above shoot groups on paper sliding the weights on your barrel till you get the tightest group.

Mick.:)

5. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    It might make a VERY small difference bench rest shooting indoors but for FT & HFT it makes no difference whatsoever! A normal human being isn't capable of holding the rifle still enough to notice any difference. The only advantage is in your mind :rolleyes:

6. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    Weights

Many thanks for your replies. I may have ago sometime to see if it improves my shooting off the bench.
    Thanks again.

7. Bensile

Bensile Active Member

Club:
    Emley moor
    I've added barrel weights before mostly to prevent flip as the pellet exits or sometimes just to improve the balance of the rifle. It my be mind games but it did tight the grouping.

No harm trying to see if it helps anyway.