Barrel shortening ???

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by bypass, Sep 17, 2012.

1. bypass

bypass Member

I`d like a shorter barrel for a Diana 54 Airking. Who does barrel shortening and re-crowning or is it possible to buy a new Diana barrel ? Anything less than the present 21" would make the gun a lot more usable and it might fit one of my gun bags:).

cheers .........Andy

2. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Why don't you have a go at shortening it yourself ?
    If your not happy with the results, then pay someone else to take 1/4" off the barrel.

Atb,

Alec.

3. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    Careful what ideas you put in his head. Its a bitch to weld the choked part of the barrel back on once you've cut it off :rolleyes:

4. bypass

bypass Member

Yeah , I`m actually thinking of someone like Steve Pope or someone experienced at this sort of thing. I shot it today with the 21" barrel and its very accurate , if just a bit on the unwieldy and scarry side. I don`t think its the original barrel unless it came off a US market gun (also its 18.8 mm dia).
    Makes a great benchrest springer due to it being recoiless, by the way its .177. Could do with a re-blue after any work.
    Cheers Don , I`ll give him a call.

Andy

5. Thumbhole

Thumbhole Banned

Barrel chop

Get in touch with shaun at ISP rifles he shortened a mates HW77 a couple weeks back excellent job as usual :cool:

6. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Do they cut off the breach end then? Because every barrel shortening job I've ever seen (including the two I did myself) where all cut off the dangerous end!
    And the two HW80's that I chopped lost their chokes and grouped really well afterwards.

Atb,

Alec.

7. RancidTom

RancidTom Member

Choke?

You'll find that springer barrels aren't "choked" so can be shortened from the muzzle end. It's a common myth that HW80 and other HW springer barrels are choked, I'm afraid they aren't!

8. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Why does it get tighter at the last inch or so when pulling a cleaning felt through or pushing a pellet through from the breech then?:confused::)

9. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

My understanding is that HW where choked, but only as a by-product of crimping the foresight rail and not choked specifically. Either way (choked or not) I cut about 5 inches off of two different HW80's and recrowned them both successfully. Both grouped as well after, as they did before.

Atb,

Alec.

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    I've heard/read the same thing, but neither my 77K or 97K barrels have the foresight grooves... all i know is that when i use my VFG cleaning rod with the felt pellets there's a noticeable tightening when the felt nears the end of the barrel, and it's definitely not at the actual crown but someway's inside the barrel. It's the same when pushing a pellet through from the breech with a rod too... So, if it ain't choke, and there's no exterior machining work done to this section of the barrel... what is it?:confused::)

11. Martz

Martz Member

Club:
    Redfearn FTC
    Snap, my HW98 had was very tight towards the end when using a pull through, no external grooves either.

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Perhaps you just need a Mars bar or something half way along to give you the energy for that final last pull. Daniels was saying something about it the other day when he and tool were talking about rodding and pulling. Mentioned something about choking as well...

13. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    Thanks for the tip re- the Mars bar Rob.:cool:
    I think Tool and MR D might have been on another subject...:confused:

14. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Jealous the pair of you !

It's all about keeping the Mars bar at the right angle when you insert it to stop choking.

Always keep at tight grip of your barrel when rodding & pulling, be careful that KY on your pellets doesn't work but is good for extracting a fat lad from a shower cubicle !

15. Jamesy

Jamesy Weerach ninja

Club:
    Pontefract ARC.
    So, THAT'S what it was for!:D