1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barrel leading

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by KeithW, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Because I`m............. Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree, Harriers
    100% Agree. That's why Ostler says "his" Strippers should really only be set up by himself as the vast majority of ordinary shooters wont have the tools for the job.
    Apparently my KFC straw is not up to the job !

That's how my set up was tested, the results on the cards showed the effect of the Oster Air stripper does improve groups.
    In all honesty I don't know how much my stripper weighs v std Ev2, I will try and find out ?

Everything else is in Ft Blog Martin.

2. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Thanks for the replies, I'll try and post something up later, I'm really interested in this topic and have been trying to set up a filming session for a long time.

3. simona

simona Member

Has your hft500 ever been really accurate? It could be that it simply has a duff barrel. As wizard says give it to the best shooter you can find and see what happens.

Worth trying filthy barrel theory but I'd suspect that your barrel is a lemon, especially if it's never been up to much.

I'd give it a good wire brush onslaught and see how it reacts.

4. simona

simona Member

I'm open minded about muzzle breaks and accuracy. My walther had an open tube ahead of the muzzle and did/does shoot great groups. The open tube reduces the jet effect a fair bit. I now have a similar tube on my Steyr, not sure just how it will shoot yet. I've shot some great groups with that with the factory double cone stripper.

I really dislike the 'fire hose' jet effect of a bare barreled pcp. I honestly prefer the recoil of a well tuned springer.

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    That can be changed Si without touching the barrel, we had a good play with that last year and completely changed the feel of the Walther firing cycle.

6. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I have previously shot quite well with it, achieving a PB of 57 in the Bisley round of the Southern Hunters a couple of years ago and coming in First= (losing to Richard Woods in the shoot off). Since then my scores have slipped, and I've changed just about everything. I have an Aeron stock on it now, and a different scope (both of these changed in the hope of addressing the fall in scores). I tried changing hack to the original stock, but to no benefit. As I said, I'm shooting better groups at the moment with my springer. Adopting a regime of shooting a couple of felts through after every competition does improve matters, but not back to where I was. I've tried different pellets. different batches, lubed, unlubed etc. Tuneable strippers, extra muzzle weight. As I said there's a fair chance a lot of it is down to my iffy eyesight, but the scopes I'm using now (Vortex Crossfire II) seem just about as good as I can get to suit me eyes.

I have now leaded it with about 450 pellets, mostly using up some AA pellets that didn't seem to agree with it. I'm now ready to use some JSB's that, on previous testing had been marginally better, and the wind tomorrow promises to be very light - I can shoot out to 45+ yards in a sheltered garden. I'll see how it performs after putting say 20 of the JSB's through it, it it's no good I'll shoot a couple of felts, then test it after a handful of shots, and if still no good I'll put a wire brush through it and see how things stand.

On the other hand, maybe I should just shoot my TX and leave these new-fangled PCP things alone

7. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

If the gun has been out in a downpour you may have rust in the barrel. It may of even had it from new and you've never noticed it.
    Try another barrel on it and don't lead it up with different pellets to the one your using.

8. Wheelieneilie

Wheelieneilie Member

Club:
    MAD
    Hi Keith,
    My HFT500, my spare, Mels and Jill’s all shoot best with a clean barrel plus 25-40 shots to lead in and pull through again after 160 shots. I have 4 different batches of pellets that 500,s seem to like. If you are going to Cambridge diabolical I could bring some more pellets for you to try if you want.
    Neil Wakelin

9. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    Many thanks Neil for the advice and pellets yesterday, and everyone else for your input. It was really nice yesterday to be on form with my TX200 and to win the recoiling category in the Cambridge Diabolical - it tells me that I can still shoot quite well, indeed it was a score that would have put me in third place in the Open class!

Meanwhile, with the HFT 500: I had leaded the barrel with close on 500 shots but still it's not grouping shots / I'm not grouping shots, as I'd like. So following advice I've pulled it through thoroughly using Napier patches and Gun Cleaner, followed by some Bisley Gun Oil, followed by several dry pulls through. Tomorrow promises to be a low wind day so I'll get out and give it a try.

Interestingly - very interestingly - it was only after I got the pellets home that I realised Neil's pellets are 4.51 not the 4.52 that I've been using for the last three years! Maybe that's where the secret will lie? But again, interestingly, my PB of 57 with this rifle was achieved using 4.52's.

I have also lowered the cheek piece a bit, which might help me have a more easily achieved consistent head position. And I've removed the air stripper. We'll see!

10. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Because I`m............. Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree, Harriers

Ah, I can now see the problem !

11. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    To bring things up to date, re the original post ...

Neil Wakelin very kindly gave me some tips based on his experience, and that of his wife, re their HFT 500's. First things first - they shoot 4.51 and not 4.52. He then kindly gave me a tin each of their "known good" AA and JSB die numbers. I looked forward to some notable improvements, however it wasn't to be, my groups were still too spread for my liking. But I did try different air strippers and settings on them and found one (I had two of Neil Price's on the shelf - you can tell I've been up this road before) that did indeed tighten the groupings, but still not enough, to the extent that I gave up on the HFT 500, temporarily at least.

I then gave form and fit a bit more of a thought, and sent off for a couple of Brian Samson's butt pads. The first rifle I fitted one to was my Daystate Mk3, the first PCP that had really swept me away. I'd given up on shooting it when my performance seemed to desert me (and I'd got the HFT 500). I took the Mk3 back to square 1, making sure everything fitted me well, and reverting to a scope that I'd previously used very effectively, a Nikko Stirling Gold Crown Air King - it's hard to find a cheaper one, but it suits my eyes. I then started testing some JSB pellets I've had for a couple of years, but I'd three tins left so thought if they were good they'd see me through a few competitions. Oh, and this rife has a moderator fitted. Guess what ... back to very good groups! To the extent that I did really well in a comp at Loughborough at the weekend! It was a much needed result, becasue it told me that yes, I can shoot quite well, after all.

So with that under my belt, yesterday I took the HFT500 back to square one and removed the ACZ Ultra stock I'd been using, and fitted the original, plus the Brian Samson butt pad, but keeping the adjustable stripper in place. Again, I paid great attention to fit. And guess what, using Neil's 4.51 AA pellets I was able to group three pellets down to 15mm at 40 and 45 yards, repeatedly (ok, some creeping out a bit, but still landing inside a 40mm kill). This was outside in a slight breeze. I'm happy!!!