Barrel leading

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by KeithW, Jan 23, 2018.

1. KeithW

KeithW Barn door? Where?

Club:
    Cambridge
    I'm at my wit's end trying to get consistency with my HFT 500. I have poor eyesight and historically have struggled to find the best scope to suit my eyes. Add to that some faulty scopes and you can understand why that's what I've tended to blame for large groups - after I'd tried regularly pulling the barrel through (not with wire brushes, just patches). I've tried different air strippers, didn't make much of a difference. My results are worse now than 2 years ago. These days after every competition I shoot a couple of felts through and it reduces the likelihood of severe flyers. However ...

I'm using the same model of scope (and the same eyes) on my 20 year old TX200 and my groups are better!

Someone said to me they'd improved their consistency when they thoroughly leaded the barrel, at least 500 pellets. So that's what I'm going to try next. My question is this. It seems like an excellent opportunity to use up a variety of half-empty tins of pellets that I've accumulated over the years. For the purpose of generally leading the barrel will it matter if I use a variety of pellets, and if some of them are oxidised? My plan would be to end the process by making the last 100 shots of the current type of pellets I shoot in competition (non-oxidised).

2. nemesis

nemesis 55yrd standing expert, or was it 8 or 9?

You need to use the same batch/make of pellets for doing this to get the best results.

3. Yorkshiretea

Yorkshiretea B Grade Bandit

Club:
    Anston FTC
    They will never improve a barrel, they'll only ever make it worse and most air strippers actually do nothing at all but look pretty.

4. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard FT: You Give, You take! Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    the voice of experience lol

5. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    My first thought Keith is give the gun to the best shooter you can find. I have taken countless guns that did not work / group off members at Tondu and proved they could.
    Unfortunately it may be nothing more than pilot error, its usually the main reason.

What scope are you using? Could be parallax error.

I don't know what Barrel is on a Hft 500, but the one I have used and tested at club liked to be clean.

6. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Do you want to try and explain why a stripper improves accuracy over a barrel Simon? I'd love to hear it.

7. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Has any one actually done any proper controlled testing with these things ? All I know for sure is they can deffo make things worse .

I reckon it makes sense to 'condition ' your barrel with the same lead as you are shooting .
    There was a thread on bbs some time ago by Uk Neil where he seeed to find that just changing pellets took a few shots for his groups to settle down again.

Blimey ........

I found it............
    Hope it's alright to post a link to bbs threads ............

Barrel "Conditioning".

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  8. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    Speak to John Ostler, he is the mechanic.
    I'm the driver.
    But as it happens I will be doing a Ft blog feature on your old Ev2 at some point this year ref Air Stripper, look out for it as you may find the results surprising??

9. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    Most of my chrono + Group testing shows a change of die usually takes 3 to 6 pellets to settle in with my current Barrel, all other factors being equal.
    Another Ev2 barrel I once owned took about 10 to 20, but that was crap barrel anyway in standard form, very hard to find a die it liked.

10. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Keith ,
    When I'm at my wits end , I find it can be helpful to go right back to basics .

Maybe set your rifle up completely from scratch . Butt plate, trigger , scope alignment/ position ,the whole lot . Something about your tx suits you better than the hft.
    Could be something you take for granted .

Even if these settings seem ok , move them to some where else and start again .
    If they were right , sure enough you will come back to the same place , betcha something's different .............

11. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    The short and correct answer is no they haven't, my experience is the same as yours.

12. Welsh Wizard

Club:
    Oaktree
    My experience differs;)

13. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

All I'm saying is the wrong stripper / brake set up can muck things up .............

14. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Tell us what it is then, I'm interested in your findings. Or maybe just answer this. Do air strippers make a gun more accurate, if so how?

15. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    Out of interest, how much do you think weight plays a factor in these things?

16. Adam

Adam Active Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I spent a long time believing they work because the theory sounds elegant, but I've yet to see proper empirical evidence from a properly constructed controlled study. Muzzle attachments with the exact same mass to rule out harmonic differences. Preferably double-blind or fired with a remote release to remove shooter prejudice too.

I now believe 90% of it is: weight on the muzzle, the muzzle brake effect reducing felt recoil and improving follow-through, and a big dash of placebo effect.

MickyFinn and NeilM like this.
  17. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Plenty .

That's something very easy to test for though . Simply replace the 'stripper ' with a barrel weight of identical ......errrrr.............weight

Conor did some testing a while ago and found it helped his follow through technique .......

come on Connie , chip in you know stuff about this ............

18. Yorkshiretea

Club:
    Anston FTC
    I concur with the above.

19. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    I have shot my best groups with a muzzle break/air stripper.
    I have tested my Steyr with and without a muzzle break and I can 100% verify that I am more accurate (and consistent with follow through and shot placement) with a muzzle break.
    A muzzle weight doesn’t do the same as a good muzzle break even though it may be the same weight, it will only mimic the harmonics, again I’ve tested this.

The stripper/muzzle break will not make the barrel more accurate however they enable you to shoot more accurately.
    A muzzle weight can and does reduce muzzle flip but it doesn’t work quite as well as a well designed brake in reducing the flip. A good muzzle brake/stripper allows for a much better follow through and consistent shot placement.
    My muzzle break virtually eliminates movement of the muzzle soon the release of the shot. I’ve tried but just cannot shoot as consistently well and group as tightly with a bare barrel.

I am pretty sure if the barrel was clamped and tested with and without your best muzzle break the group size would be identical. However, as we are human and the shot releases movement and external forces which we cannot control, anything that can reduce/eliminate these movements and forces after the **** has been released can only be of benefit.

Possibly benchrest has less requirement for the need for a muzzle break due to the gun being rested on a solid platform and their is less need for bodily control of the rifle.

20. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    In relation to the actual original post, you are better leading up your barrel with the pellet batch you intend to use. Possibly because I’m OCD about this but as dufferent batches behave differently they may have different compositions of lead.
    I remember laughing my balls off back at the Worlds in Germany where they insisted everyone must use “their” 8.4grn JSB Exact fir the Chrono check. The USA competitor in front of me was really loosing his temper and was declaring that the German pellets were going to “contaminate” his barrel.
    He did have a point.

RAMBO and hmangphilly like this.