Barrel cleaning

Discussion in 'Steyr' started by Nick G, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    I have recently done a service on my lg110, with hopefully some improvements, I have converted the cocking lever roller to ball races, and made some top hat bushes for the hammer spring, while I had it down I took the opportunity to clean the barrel, I have never cleaned it, I have spent considerable time with pull through's and balistol, I have also tried carb cleaner on the patches, but the patches are still coming out dirty, should I try a lead solvent or maybe jb bore past any help would be appreciated.

2. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    The Anston Massive & Kingsley HFT
    Blue vfg bore paste bought my barley twist back to life Nick!

3. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
  4. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Yep, the blue VFG paste has certainly worked in mine as well Nick. Just remember to use paper pull throughs post scrubbing to remove all trace of paste. Just cleaned my recently acquired Steyr barrel and it took an awful lot of the VFG felts to remove the lead deposits completely. Most of the fouling that didnt want to leave its home was located in the choke and crown area incidentally.

Will discover tonight if it has had the desired effect!

Frank

5. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
    I never treated the cz barrel that's on your steyr to any paste as it was grouping ok when on mine ( 20p size groups @ 54yrds indoors with the right pellets). Just had a couple of pull throughs after half a tin if groups opened up.

6. TREV RYN

TREV RYN Well-Known Member

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    hoppys 009 cleans all lead deposits ;)

7. Nick G

Nick G Active Member

Club:
    Greyhound/ Purley Chase
    thanks for all the help, I have some lead solvent coming tomorrow, and may try some bore paste, If I am going to clean it then I want it properly clean.

8. MickyFinn

MickyFinn I❤HFT

Club:
  9. subaru swift

subaru swift Active Member

Club:
    Furnace mill, & Kingsley HFT
    on a side note as anyone used this, as I was told by a few folks this is good stuff to use on a pull through patch =
    ahg-Anschutz Ceramic Gun Coating
    Anschutz Gun Coating is a heavy-duty PTFE/ceramic coating for all types of firearms and knives.
    http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/ahganschutz-ceramic-gun-coating-p-1218.html

I used some last night & went the range today but it was a bit windy at times to say if it helps or not :confused:
    hence I will try again very soon, but when the rifle grouped man did it group good..... even for me at 55 yards & my zero of 35 yards so I will test some more.

however have any of you lot used this sort of stuff before or should I keep away from it ?, kenny

10. madplinker

madplinker Member

If your rifle is grouping well at moment i would stay away from it probably would see better grouping with good pellets that suit your barrel. :):):):)

11. subaru swift

subaru swift Active Member

Club:
    Furnace mill, & Kingsley HFT
    been trying to find the so called right batch but after 12 batch numbers ok all jsb no magic ones as yet...