Barrel cleaning

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by waynegal, Jan 13, 2010.

1. waynegal

waynegal New Member

Hi friends, I allways find it difficult to find a product to clean the barrel ,I have a steyr LG110 which tends to get confuse a bit when the barrel gets dirty with lead residue ,The gun have less than 2000 shot so I need something which cleans the barrel and not remouve my running in effort,Now im using pull through patches with a bit of napier silicone spray ?am I doing right ?
    Wayne

2. big_phil555

big_phil555 New Member

hi mate

Should do the trick, only testing after a clean can truely tell.

I use a VFG pull thru system on the FWB P70 and LG110 - both are back on song within 5 or so pellets after using a normal felt (you can get three grades of felt, but a regualr use of normal does just fine). I oil my first two felts and then dry ones until clean.

HTH

ATB

Phil

3. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

I use a heavy gauge mono fishing line, 60lb, with a loop in one end and use the Swan or Rizla slim cigarette filters as pull throughs.Folded in half and given a squeeze they fit perfectly..the standard size filters will do a .22 also:) I generally do 2 wet ones with a light oil on and then 2 dry ones as a light clean so as not to undo the leading in :) When i want a complete clean i just use more pull throughs and then shoot in again until im happy that its settled :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    i've tried the VFG pull throughs and the VFG cleaning felts that you shoot through, and the VFG rodding kit.

the VFG pull throughs i've had have snapped... perhaps i had the felts on too tight who knows... to they got binned.

i've collected shot felts, and they seem to do next to sweet fa.

the VFG rod however seems to work well. I use a bit of p90 bore solvent on the barrel and I can actually see bits of lead come out... i give it a couple of goes with wet felts and then dry ones until the barrel and felts are squeaky (quite literaly) clean.

for me, that seems to work, and the barrel looks clean. It normally takes about 5 shots to come back on and then it's fine.

however, since sizing, i've had to do a lot less cleaning... dunno why.

I just use the bog standard felts, the intensive ones and all the grease and what not stay on the shelf gathering dust, but I will use the bore grease if i'm laying a gun up for a while.

with rich's steyr, it demanded a clean (when we first got it) every 50-100 shots or there would be a 1" poi shift at 25 yds... but after using the intensives and the bore cleaner that comes with vfg and the lupus grease, it settled down and the cleaning periods started to expand until something resembling the norm.

5. Knockedover

Knockedover CSFTA Champ

My Steyr seems to have gone the other way, when I first had it it could quite happily run 1000-1500 between even moderate cleans however now it seems its a matter of 400-500 shots and it needs a clean of some sort. Im guessing the pellets im using, the same ones as i was 4yrs ago, are no longer quite as clean as they where then. I plan this year to experiment with washing and lubing to see if it will help hold accuracy for longer betwen cleans:)

6. waynegal

waynegal New Member

Thanks for all your help ,im learning with every post of you my friends.
    Wayne

7. luger

luger Malta's GOS!!!

Club:
    Malta Allied Airgunners Club
    Hi Wayne,

These airguns are driving you crazy with worry :D:D:D

First the EV2, now the Steyr, relax man :p

My Steyr needs cleaning after a tin of pellets tops :eek: Seems to be the norm though.

First some cleaning felts followed by a pull through with a cleaning patch and it's dead accurate once more.

BTW mentioning the EV2, did you finally get the replacement gun? Did you try it yet?

Hope you kick some ass with it at Kelmarsh.............very very soon ;)