barrel cleaning regime

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by tony mccracken, Nov 30, 2018.

1. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

i own air arms ev2 mk3 steyr lg110 feinwerkbau 800x i do not do competitions and only use air rifles alternating weekends i fire around 250 pellets a week at the moment the rifles seem accurate enough for my use i only use vfg cleaning pellets at the moment my question is would my rifles benefit if i was to use a pull through kit now and then

2. hmangphilly

hmangphilly The Doctor

Dunno about the others , but the steyrs often like a clean barrel.

Give it a go .
    You're not shooting comps so what have you got to lose ?

3. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Active Member

I use a pull through on my 800 every 500 pellets or so. I get very little muck out of the barrel but is eeems to keep the accuracy on track.
    My old FTP900 never seemed to have any residue in the barrel even after over 1000 pellets.
    Your choice of pellet and even the batch you are using will make a big difference to the amount of residue your barrel picks up

4. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I only use jsb pellets normally after using tin of 500 use 4/5 vfg pellets which
    pull through kit would you recommend

5. gdavison

gdavison Active Member

Club:
    Basingstoke - BARPC & Bisley - BFTC
    Napier

6. ksts100

ksts100 Member

Napier !

7. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    If you’re happy and they are accurate enough for your requirements then don’t worry.
    If you clean them and they are worse (after an initial lead in with 10-20 pellets) then leave alone.
    If you clean them and they group bettter, take a note of how many shots/tins you’ve done just to keep on top of it.
    I have a barrel that don’t like cleaning, cleaning is actually detrimental to its performance and another that requires a pull through after a couple of tins to keep groups tight.

8. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    I've found this to be pretty good for regular cleans Power Pull Through Kit

I also have the VFG rodding system for a more thorough clean. VFG Cleaning System If I run the VFG's through a barrel that's just been cleaned with the Napier the first few felts come out dirtier than the Napier pull through patches so I've assumed they're removing more lead and the intensive felts have strands of brass wire that do seem to clear out the grooves a little better, maybe, possibly, decide for yourself. I use Napier VP90 to wet the felts, they're not very effective dry. The blue paste does help remove really stubborn lead whenever it needs it, usually once a year but often less frequently and it can tighten up group size where conventional cleaning hasn't. It only gets used when it's needed and it's takes quite a few felts to remove all residues of the paste so it's not a 5 minute job.

Rather than use the VFG steel rod I've made up a Delrin rod. 4mm Delrin drilled at one end to take a short length of M2.5 brass rod which the VFG felt holder screws onto. Much cheaper than the 'official' steel item and probably safer for the barrel

Tarzan and chucky82 like this.
  9. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I haven’t noticed a accuracy issue with my rifles just thought if I use rifles now and again would it be a good idea to use some kind of light oil on a patch to keep barrel in good condition to clear out any form of contamination or would it better to stick with the vfg pellets

10. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    The shoot through pellets don't get as much lead out as other methods. They do get some out and can keep them shooting well but I've not found them to be as effective. At some point your groups will open up in a dirty barrel, shoot throughs will delay this point but it's likely to happen. Don't know about your FWB but the EV2 will shoot better clean and most of the guys I know with Steyr's also keep their barrels clean.

There are always exceptions, some barrels just like being dirty and it depends what group size you can shoot or deem acceptable in regards to accuracy.

11. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

many thanks for your quick reply ordered a Napier pull through kits from one the guys on here

12. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    You're already half there with the VFG cleaning felts.

Just go the whole way and get the full cleaning kit which gives you a bore cleaning compound, PFTE bore grease, rod, and felts.
    I give my Anschutz barrel a good clean about twice a year or when I see the barrel's gone off.
    You have to be very careful with anything near the crown so don't scrub like you're cleaning out a cannon.

Ideally you should push the rod all the ways to the breech from the muzzle, twist on the felt then pull towards the muzzle, rinse and repeat until you're happy the bore is clean.
    The bore grease I tend to leave in the barrel for a day or so to really 'soak' in, then remove with a couple of felts.

13. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

I am actually looking forward to give my rifles a good clean I have only ever shot felts through them my feinwerkbau is about 9 months old my Steyr is around 4 years old and ev2 about 6 years so interested in seeing the results the rifles all seem pretty acurate to me I normally get 10mm grouping at hundred feet now and again getting the odd flyer

14. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    You might not see a massive improvement, most barrels will shoot 10mm groups or thereabouts at 35 yards even if they're filthy (or as I found out damaged), but once you start to go further out you'll see the benefits to a much greater extent.

Take care not to bash the crown, run the cleaner down a drinking straw to help find the hole down the bottom of the muzzle break rather than prod at it furiously

15. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield/ TEGC/ETL
    Ahhh another man who uses McDonald's straws; just cut the end into a 'V' and it slips down the muzzle brake and into the barrel a treat..;)

16. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

There seems to be so many Napier oils products out what is the best one to use

17. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    The Napier kit comes with an aerosol tin of VP90 ('Power airgun oil contains VP90' printed on the tin) which seems to work well. I've tried other oils but some of my barrels don't like lube and some oils, Ballistol notably, have degraded accuracy until I've removed all of the oil. The Napier stuff hasn't caused any problems.

Don't use stuff intended for live round rifles as they can contain ingredients that are a bit aggressive as they are intended to remove carbon.

Napier%20Power%20Airgun%20Oil.jpg

18. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

many thanks for such quick response

19. Monty

Monty Senior Moment

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Post a picture of the patch, lets see how dirty it was! :eek:

20. tony mccracken

tony mccracken Member

Will do waiting for kit to arrive