Barrel cleaning on a springer

Discussion in 'Piston & Spring' started by Kevg, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Kevg

Kevg Warning: May post in random areas

Club:
    Misfits
    Good evening. I have a TX200 and I'm fairly new to springer shooting so have a couple of questions
    Can springer barrels be just as fussy as some pcp barrels? For example some steyrs have to be cleaned after every comp.
    When cleaning a springer barrel is it safe to just rely on the anti bear trap or is it advisable to put a cushion in between the barrel and underlever?
    Thanks
    Kev

2. steve1000

steve1000 Active Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    Hi make a breech block to prevent it trapping your fingers, Hunters Vermin on youtube shows how . Hope this helps

Steve

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    I've cleaned my HWs (no anti beartrap) and I've still got all my digits. The thing is it's only dangerous when your appendages are in harm's way, so take precautions at that point. If it's impractical to hold the lever at the point of putting the patch in the pull through, (it certainly is when screwing the felt onto the end of the VFG rod), then something to block the lever or the cylinder would be helpful. Best is a block of wood the right size to sit inside the cylinder, while allowing you access to the barrel.

4. Kevg

Club:
    Misfits
    Thank you, never even occurred to me about making a breech block :)

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Never had a barrel fussy on a springer. Had some better than others but not fussy or needing a clean. Normally when they're running good they're running good.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Club:
    Redfearns & the UBC
    Yes I only really do it when the rifle is brand new, or when its not been shot for a long time (years), or if having accuracy problems and want to rule out a variable.

7. Kevg

Club:
    Misfits
    So are springer barrels different to pcp? Has anyone ever tried putting a springer barrel on a pcp?

8. Sake-San

Sake-San La Vieille Alliance

Club:
    l'Association Francaise de Field Target
    To be contraire... both of my competition TX's benefit (grouping wise) from a barrel clean after around 2000 shots

9. hmangphilly

hmangphilly Can't Re Member

yep

got a diana 66 barrel on a steyr

looking for a fwb 300 to chop up next

would have thought it sensible to keep on top of a target springer for cleanliness . there's all sorts of potions and lubes floating about on spring gun internals

and another thing ...................re. pellet fussy ...........

well it's not exactly pellet fussiness but there's a lot to be said for having a suitable lead in on the barrel .............

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  10. Kevg

Club:
    Misfits
    Well I cleaned the barrel on the TX yesterday and I needn't have bothered,it was spotlessly clean. :eek:o

11. Amac

Amac Active Member

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    I have an HW 80 Kev that must have fired 20,000 shots at least. I have cleaned its barrel twice during its ten years of life so far but did not notice any improvement in accuarcy to be honest. It cant do the gun any harm to clean its barrel, but they definitley require less management than a PCP in my experience.
    Andy

12. blacklab

blacklab Active Member

Club:
    nelson
    barrel cleaning

why are pcp,s more prone to cleaning

13. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    My Tx200 needs a clean after every tin of pellets, It can shoot an 8mm group at 40 yards when clean, but when it goes off this goes up to about 11mm with the odd flyer.

14. Denero07

Denero07 Member

I only ever clean the barrels when I get a new rifle
    My only exception to this rule is my Theoben rapid it likes a clean after about 3 tins put thru it

15. FPoole

FPoole Active Member

Your mileage will vary. I only shoot spring guns, TX's, and they will tell you when to clean. You first need to be good enough a shot to know when it goes off song. You will notice a sudden opening up of groups and a cleaning will cure this. I had one gun that needed cleaning every 34 to 35 shots. I suspect it may have had some problem, but a good scrubbing with JB Bore paste followed by JB Bore Bright extended it to 150 shots between cleaning. I actually wore the bristles off a bronze brush using the bore paste, and the barrel wasn't harmed. Still one of the best TX's I've ever owned. I normally use a bore snake with just a hint of oil on it and drag this through the barrel 3-5 times. Not a true cleaning, but it gets the barrel back to where it needs to be.