Barrel Cleaning of a springer

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by D. Clark, May 16, 2013.

1. D. Clark

D. Clark Member

Club:
    MidShires Marksmen
    How often do you clean the barrel of your springer?

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I never have...

3. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    should

Then you should have rob:eek: . when i bought my bull pupped TX 200 SR .the fella said it had been in a loft for years . it had been reblued , fair enough . obviously because it had gone rusty . the bit that worried me was , had the barrel gone rusty with it ? tried a few shots with it , not good . got the cleaning kit out to give it pull through . 4 two by two patches , two with napiers gun cleaner and two dry . the wet patches came out covered in grease ( must have come forward of the piston seal over the years ) . i had to use another two patches wet to get it really clean . then two dry patches . the difference was was amazing , from a shot gun to a grouper . at least the grease had served a purpose , it had stopped any rust getting into the bore . there was no room for rust . it is not a good idea to use a solvent in a puff gun , but in a springer , no probs . hoppes number 9 will get everything out . if it is a good barrel then regular cleaning will make it better . it might take a few shots to get it back to it's best but you will know that it will not go off in the middle of a comp ??? HOLLY:)

4. merlot

merlot Member

Barrel cleaning

You should always clean gun barrels even spring guns

5. RobF

Club:
    It doesn't get left like that. And still single holes at 25yds... :confused:

6. springer34

springer34 anschutz 9003

barrel cleaning

I don't clean my barrel till my shots start going where they want so far ive had to clean one of my rifels in just over a year if it aint broke don't fix it....:)

7. XTX

XTX XTX Air

Club:
    Nomads HFT
    I don't clean my springer barrel, even after pellet testing (with lead pellets), a few shots with it's normal fodder and it is back on form :eek:

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    That

That is cos i cleaned it before giving it back to you rob ??? HOLLY:):D:eek::eek::eek:

9. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

If you're happy hitting nothing then carry on shag.
    If you would like to hit a few more targets then maybe you should try a different approach.
    At the end of the day it's personal choice but I won't be swapping my scores for yours, can you say the same?

10. simona

simona Active Member

My HW77 requires more frequent barrel cleaning than any other rifle I've had. Using JSB Exact it needs a good clean every few hundred shots, the pull through comes out very messy with lead flakes.

The groups open up quite abruptly and close again after cleaning. I've had the gun about 7 years and this has been a consistent pattern of behavior.

On the other hand I did clean RobF's HW97 while it was with me on holiday. Despite not having been cleaned for thousands of shots the pull though came out looking the same as when it went in. The gun was also incredibly accurate before (and after!) cleaning.

Just goes to show that there are no hard and fast rules; you have to get to know your gun and pellets. My personal suggestion would be that, in general, most rifles seem to benefit from an occasional clean.

The only gun I've had which behaved similar to Rob's HW97 was an FWB P70; this grouped amazingly well and the barrel never picked up any mess.

11. herx77

herx77 Member

The Bodyboarding capitol of Hertfordshire.
    Club:
    Lea Valley Air Gun Club
    I rarely clean my HW77 barrel(had it since 1982/3ish) for FT comps successful,very competitive and accurate.
    Check initial groupings at 35 yds ( p on p )and clover leafs at 45,any larger spread of groupings is now due to me shaking on hold.
    Results don't vary so can't see point of cleaning.
    Sometimes with idle hands and nothing to do,I use a pull through, but it dosn't seem to improve groupings at all.Must have put thousands of pellets through it.The only thing that will improve groupings for me is to go back in time 20 years.:D.
    HERX77 .

12. RobF

Club:
    Nothing like piling on the pressure ;). She's up the range tomorrow for a wet test. Ta for all your help :)