Banned ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by holly, Jul 2, 2009.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Should collecting air rifles and pistols be banned ? looking at robs post for any venom related kit . it comes to me that collecting takes good rifles out of the shooting market and then they are put into a cupboard to be taken out now and again . polished then put back again ? or am i wrong ( and yes i would like a venom 77 ) but i want it to shoot it . well that is my excuse . over to rob ??? HOLLY

2. martin c

martin c New Member

cant quite see how you would do this and what constitutes a collection. if you shoot a particular piece once a month or once a year it is still yours to do with as you please. ;)

3. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Holly,
    I've often though you might be but this proves to me that you are bonkers!;):p:D

4. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    Yes, you are.:)

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    hols, most of my guns do get shot. I have one however that may stay mint, and shot to keep it running, but not in anger... and that isn't a venom.

6. CAC

CAC Member

Thats not your main FT rig is it Rob :p:p;):)

7. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Me Mad ?

Could be right . BUT is it correct to sit on superb rifles that just come out to be polished once a month or a couple of shots to keep the O rings moving . i have matt knocks old GC2 with the welham stock tried shooting it competitively . but the stock is to shallow for me . tried using it in HFT .did not like HFT . so it sits in the cupboard . that rifle has won more big shoots than you can wave a stick at and it sits in the cupboard . youi can only really shoot one rifle well . one rifle one scope . perhaps we should only have one pc rifle , one pistol and one springer . ??? HOLLY

8. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

I'm no real collector. The rifles I have for the sake of it wouldn't worry you in the slightest (a couple of old Webleys). Beyond that I currently have one FT rig, one HFT rig, one hunting rig, one piston rifle and one pistol. It almost subscribes to your restraints. Hunting, HFT and FT use means I couldn't get away with one PCP but if I finally do knock FT and HFT on the head I may get down to one.
    However, there's no way on earth I'd tell anyone how to spend their money or be told by anyone how to spend my money. All a bit communist for my liking.;):p Good luck to the buggers that have enough loot to be able to leave excellent and exotic kit at home getting dusty.

9. alan-aitch

alan-aitch I'll practice tomorrow...............

Club:
    Bisley
    I don't want to be the first to try something like this, we need a trendsetter Holly. So, you first :D:D;)

Alan.

10. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Yes He Is Mad ?

Once you are over 65 you can say what you like , it is in the rules . silly old sod they say . might be right . i was gonna cut back on my rifles . but i have just been offered my old 100 series NJR back . right then i will rephrase that . you can only own that , that you can shoot accurately . now how does that sit .??? HOLLY

11. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

Hol,
    don't ever but an old break barrel Webley!;):D

12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Webley ?

Surely not a hawk . possibly the most innacurate rifle i ever owned . rust in the barrel was the culprit . sorry webley . i know better now ??? HOLLY

13. Sam Vimes

Sam Vimes New Member

God no! I wouldn't touch one of those POS with a barge pole. I'm talking Rangers, Falcons and the like. Contemporaries of the venerable MKIII produced before Webley really started cutting corners.

14. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Bsa ?

Nope i have always been a BSA man myself . shot my first window out with my BSA meteor . painted finish , beech stock . plenty of power and very accurate in 22 . used to shoot rats and tin cans down the canal with it . wish i still had it ??? HOLLY

15. Grayling

Grayling New Member

A proud Englishman from a once great country sadly
    Club:
    Fort airgun club
    I have a number of old rifles AA Camargue, AA Highpower, Haenel MK1VE 1927 etc but would not call myself a collector by any means. Some of these rifles are links to my younger days and bring back pleasant memories of hunting trips in more carefree times. Surely we all collect/hoard for similar reasons. If something gives folk some pleasure in these depressed times then what is the problem. CERTAINLY A NO TO YOUR ORIGINAL QUESTION.

16. delta1

delta1 New Member

Hi folks!

Lets not forget that without people collecting them, many of these rifles would have disappeared altogether, and part of the history of Airguns would have been lost forever.

The level of interest when someone brings an old rifle up to the Club never fails to surprise me, people with 1k+ rigs wait happily to shoot a 50 year old rifle, and enjoy doing so.

Collecting, while not to everyone's taste, has an important place in maintaining interest in the Sport, and linking back to what many people consider happier times.

Richard.

17. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Don't think so ?

Collecting LOWERS the amount of good guns on the market and makes the prices HIGHER . if it were not for collectors we would be paying less for out guns ? BUT this was just a gentle wind up on rob . who is intent on grabbing every last venom on the market anmd leaving none for ME . still i don't suppose he is reading this , probably out the back counting up his money ??? HOLLY