Balance point

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by imorik, Jun 19, 2010.

1. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Where is the ideal point of balance on an airgun especially for standing shots in HFT. I struggle on these shots keeping gun stable so was wondering how far in front of trigger should the point of balance be. Will adding weight to the front/rear to shift the balance point help with standing shots.

2. sportsmatch

sportsmatch Member

Club:
    Quarry Rifles
    The balance of the rifle is a personal thing, I like it slightly nose heavy some like it neutral and some like in the butt:p

and yes it will when you find which suits you best

Gary

3. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    wot gun do you shot just out of interest,but my guns have been balanced the same as sportsmatch slight weight forward,but its down to how you hold the gun,do you shoot with arm out hunting or target shooting postion etc,some people hav it rear weighted and some hav it neutral,its down to get your postion right,robf may be how to put some photos on ere to help

4. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    There's no real defacto point.

In 10m, where the gun isn't so upset by a scope on top, it used to be about 2cm in front of the support point... the problem for hft/ft is the scope normally dictates the balance point, and the stock furniture the support point somewhat... however the recent trend is to start adding weight to the rear...

certainly putting weight forward can calm down muzzle movement, and you have to appreciate that the 10m/3p players are working very hard on natural point of aim, which should reduce muzzle movement, at least in the vertical plane to almost nothing...

so have a play... fishing weights and a bit of tape can work for a temporary solution... a more permanent but cheap solution are care wheel weights... just bought a box for a 10'er... they stick on anything, and on metal, they can be removed cleanly and easily without marking, but resist the weather well... not sure what they would do to a painted/lacquered surface though.

5. imorik

imorik Member

Club:
    Ex Anston FTC
    Gun is a s400 GML in a Paul Wilson stock. Target position used as opposed to hunting style hold.

What point on the gun would you use as the pivot point to say if it was front or rear heavy or indeed 50/50 balance ? Is it the trigger, the middle distance of the length of the gun or some other point ? Pivot point on my GML on one of my stocks (have 2 Paul Wilson stocks) is just in front of the trigger hole of the stock. On the other stock its a couple of inches further forward. They both balance perfectly but the balance points are different.

Hopefully a pic of my gun is attached, the 2nd stock(sorry no picture has no brass bits, is a fraction longer, has an adjustable comb and a lightweight ally butt pad.

Attached Files:

6. Artfull-Bodger

Artfull-Bodger Member

on a springer you have to have a muzzle heavy balance otherwise the muzzle flip is awfull!

7. FGYT

FGYT New Member

for me its 4-5 " in front of the trigger ie pretty central 7lb allup weight for my Hunting kit inc 2 lb scope and lamp etc

pretty much the same for FT to tho a little heavier

if you use an under arm Butt Hook a front heay gun will stabalise as it pivots on your Knee or fore hand

My hunting gun has a LSW Butt plate and a over the top hook so center to rear heavey locks the gun actually i push down slightly with the trigger hand if useing Dynamic tension for a fast stable shot also better of a bipod to which is what it was designed fore
    ATB

Duncan