Average Ft course distance?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by NJR 100, Mar 15, 2011.

1. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    Do you consider a Ft course's average distance to include all targets, or just sitters?

Myself i think of it as sitters only.

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Avearage

Avearage distance of an GP FT course should be 45 yards ??? HOLLY

3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Doesn't bother me really, interest is what i like... :)

4. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

As the average distance relates to the difficulty of the course, I would also consider the size of the killzone and distance. There is a precedent for this. I think it was thought up by someone called Troyer?
    Anyway, he found a way to judge the overall skill level of a course by measuring kz size and distance and giving a course an overall Troyer rating.
    I will do some searching and see if I can find it.

5. kilty

kilty Member

Club:
    SPRINGFIELD ARC
    Average is ALL targets Si

cheers
    Barry

6. rick

rick Member

It goes something like this. If you imagine a cone starting at the shooting line and going out to 40mm at 50m any kill size within the cone can be placed so it is the equivalent to shooting at 50m. A 20mm kill at 25m will have the same difficulty as 40mm at 50m.

If the kill is longer it is classed as having a higher difficulty factor, if less it would be lower. Its a method of awarding a difficulty level so shooters can compare courses.

7. NJR 100

Club:
    I have the troyer scale alec, its a guide but i dont agree with it.

Just wondering how shooters perceve a course length.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Dont take much notice of average

Simon,

To be fair I never take much notice of the course average. I think if the course builder knows his/her ground he/she can build the course to suit the area.....

The GP we had in Nelson 2 years ago, the one you said was too hard even for a GP course, that one only had the average of approx 44 yards for that course...

The use of variation of angles for target placement is what makes the course.....

Berty

9. NJR 100

Club:
    How do you mean?

10. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    purley chase winter league average out at 42 yards use angles up and down and accross,its noing your land and how to use it and not go for flat sitting postions etc,can make shots harder and use common sense,

11. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Target placement

Simon,

After all the good courses you have set up you dont think about the use of varying the angles of targets within lanes to optimise the wind at different angles???

When you come up to Nelson next I will show you what I mean fella.

Berty

12. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Exactly

BINGO......

Berty

13. NJR 100

Club:
    Yes, were space allows i try to make an angle between the two targets in a lane, it helps with avoinding shooting out of sequence for one?
    But thats not how i percieve how good a course is.
    i like a balance in target ranges more than anything else.

The april 17 Ft memorial shoot has uphill shoots, flat shots and a few with a slight downward slope.
    All shot from a flat(ish) shgooting position. (Sorry Chris, just did not like the slopping seating positions at Purley and i was not alone in really finding that the only fault with the day.)

However, at present av lenght of the JT course is just 35 yards, it would be slightly less if you added the standers + kneelers.

14. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Think you have been shooting too many castle club courses:) with a 35yd average

15. NJR 100

Club:
    It surprise me Steve. However, i was using it as a bit of practise for the Gp1 the weekend after.

thus, i have 8 x 1 inch kills, which as you know means no more than 35 yards.
    Not used the 15 ml kils out to 25 yards due to Main shoot rule cock up.

Standers average is 30 yards

Kneelers 35.

thus, those 20 targets on a Gp course will see an average of less than 35, lots of short range shots?

My fear is, to balance courses may see all 40 ml kills at 45 + ???

Either that or Gp course will become short and easier???

16. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    where is the cock up?

The changes to the target size and quantity were agreed specifically for one season and for GP's only, as a trial.
    That is why the main shoot rules have not changed and the specific changes were put into the GP rules.
    If they prove as unpopular as some predict, it will be a lot easier to revert the GP rules.
    If they had been added to the main shoot rules, it would have been more difficult.

17. NJR 100

Club:
    Mine and others views Phil that they should have been in main shoot rules, so for instance come April 17th, I (and others) could have put them in the main shoot and then all regioanl shooters could have another go at them and see what they think.

Seems daft to me that shooters are going to turn up at gp 1 and may not have come across 15 ml kills regionally.

as it happens, all in wafta that tried them in our winter shoot seemed to like them.

18. Mr P

Mr P Active Member

Club:
    Castle
    Simon we need to give it a go and i hope i am proved wrong the last thing i want to see is 30 targets 45-55 yards because this will make courses dull and unintresting and nothing for the lower grades you never know common sense may well prevail

19. mikewills8904

mikewills8904 walthers last the course

Club:
    oaktree ftc and tondu ftc
    course

i was looking at the course up tondu 2 for the june shoot .i have moved afew things already .i know we cant use the 15mm kills so they will be baged up and new ones put out ,with abit of work we will have 2 very high shots up through the trees .and yes one will be a kneeler .

berty is down with me on sunday so we will be looking again .i am hoping to put a few lanes in the field

20. NJR 100

Club:
    Indeed, which is why i thaught the Jt shoot would be good (partial) Gp practise.

Having spent most of the day at tondu setting stands at required distances it just seems a short course, well it is.
    Now granted any course is only hard due to wind, but I am expecting, if we dont get Shrugshoulder wind, for the scores at tondu to be quiet high.
    Is that a bad thing, not for me at regional level, but dont know how it will work out at gp?

Just a few weeks to find out:D