Ave length of GP course ?

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by el tel, Sep 7, 2010.

1. el tel

el tel New Member

Hi Guys,
    Need to set out a club course to GP average ranges.
    This is to practise for the longer courses.
    Example the ( 9 ) GP shoots.
    Can anyone help with the following questions ?

(1) Ave length of course in YDS.
    (2) Max range for standers
    (3) Max range for kneelers
    (4) Smallest kill zone for reducers

Many thanks,
    Terry Hart ( Hereward FT club Peterborough,Cambs. )

2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Maximum distance for kneelers and standers is 45 yds, and they have to be a 40mm or 45mm kill. 6 lanes in total, so you can have 3 kneelers and 2 standing lanes, or vice versa, or i suppose 1 of one, and 4 of the other although i've never seen this.

There is guidance on what the combined length of the positional lanes should be, but i don't know what that is.

Smallest kill allowed is 25mm, at no further than 35yds. These can only be used on non positional lanes. 10% course maximum (i believe)

Think anston's average was 47yds, but bear in mind that a course can be long and have a couple of 8's or 10's to bring it down somewhat.

I think lanes should be have something in the 40's and 50's but also something closer now and then.... and a lot of varying direction and heights and exposure to the wind, as well as a couple of light and dark targets to add to the flavour.

It's a like cooking... you can say you need x teaspoonfuls of whatever in there, but really it should be flavoured to taste. Dont forget that still or harsh conditions will see the target length shift somewhat.

If you want to practice for longer stuff, then wind exposure is something to play with... doesn't need to be all fully exposed, you can trip people up with sheltering as well... and a lane or two with awkward ranges, like 48 or 53, to test rangefinding as well can help focus people's rangefinding skills.

3. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

You might like to consider that how the terrain may affect the distance and windage.
    If you have woods with clearings in then putting the target either in the light or in a darker part can fool range finding at times. Tunnel effects by having bracken growing each side also help making the challenge.

Having a very long range with a very short target can cause the shooter to mis dial if over a turn between the distances. Our club does have a permanent FT and a HFT ranges of 20 shots. At least 50% are moveable as well being situated on 50 gallon barrels at either full, 2/3, 1/2 or 1/3 hieghts. Means that every so often they are moved so people do not get complascent.

You could look here at the BFTA rules which should have all the details on ranges you want.

4. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    As Rob says, what is a perfect length course when set up can very quickly become too hard and somethng of a lottery in silly wind or like at least (for me) 3 of the Gp this year pretty easy if the wind drops and you dont need to come out of kill at any range. Good course need to be built on the fly is the way.
    Gp tend t be mainly 40 -55 yards but I like the odd 35 - 40 yarder in a lane, especially if its target two. I get more nervouse on a "short" 30+ full kill if I have just knocked over the 50 + no 1 target!

5. el tel

el tel New Member

Thanks guys,
    You have been a great help.And thanks for the fast response.
    atb
    Tel.:)

6. AndyIoW

AndyIoW Member

Setting up a course is an art in itself. I realise that you want to set a course up for GP practise, but if you can help put out a Winter League course you might get an idea of some of the tricks to fooling the competitor are.

Our club has had a few Winter shoots and every shoot has had a different layout. I do remember one 3 years ago were the first lane was a standing lane a 20yd followed by a just under a 30yd one. However because you had to rotate a few degrees to get the 2nd the rear foot became slightly higher compared to the front. There were quite a few misses on it.

Admittedly being able to plan were the targets are going to go in the weeks before helps. RobF has shot these courses and whilst they may seem a little short in range, about 40yds average, the difficulty comes with the wind and know one has cleared a course. Dense undergrowth and open patches makes the wind tricky. We have had at times two targets on the same lane within 5 yards of distance of each other and you have to give off the kill on opposite side to the previous target.