Ataman m2 Field target Rifle

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by Marcevsy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

Thinking of setting up a new rig...The Tsar looks nice but Ataman do a M2 with a walnut stock which I prefer to the blue daystate one, but not sure about the customer service with Ataman. As anybody dealt with Ataman or owned the M2 field target rifle.

2. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    I would advise looking for a different rifle to the Ataman, as you say there is no back up in the UK.
    If you do eventually find the Walnut version you will pay a premium and when you decide to sell (and you will) you will loose a big wedge of dosh !!!!!! :eek:
    But its your choice.:)

3. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

Thanks for the reply...Its a shame Daystate didn't bring a walnut version of the rifle out. Whats your thoughts on the Tsar?

4. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Mine was very very accurate with its original barrel at 55 yards. Power variation was its main fault a Huma regulator improved things but not enough to give me confidence in the rifle.
    Off the bench I enjoyed using it, but for a Field Target rifle I just could not get on with it. Sold mine recently bought a Steyr, enough said !!!!!!

5. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

I held the tsar at my local gun shop and I just loved the feel and weight of the rifle, albeit I didn't have the chance to shoot it....my previous rifle was the FTP900 with a Nikko Targetmaster scope and it felt to heavy so I got rid...not sure about other lighter weight FT rifles.

6. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    There's no getting away from weight really, all the top end rifles are fairly heavy then you add a large scope at 1 Kilo approx then a decent butt hook 1/2 kilo hamster mechanism 1/2 kilo.
    You end up with a FT rig @ 14 lbs + a stone in old money.:eek:

7. silvergould

silvergould New Member

Club:
    duchy
    steve franklin has just won the world veteran field target title using one the same one he got for the deveopment programme for the tsar very accurate hes also leading the swefta aa grade champs using one ,

8. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Jose Redondo 3rd overall.
    Steve Franklin 6th overall. But their rifles have been set up and worked on over a long period of time.
    The OP is asking about an Ataman M2 sport or a Daystate Tsar straight out of the box !!!!!

johnnyboy likes this.
  9. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

Thanks for your reply's chaps.....What sort of work would the tsar need to get it completely match ready?

10. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Gird your loins,.....
    Swap out reg...huma is a good start, this will however increase the secondary chamber volume ( A Lot ), its already too large imho which is why it alters power with temp change, this will need to be reduced safely and without blocking air flow. ( i use lead wire )The amount of reduction will be down to how the reg, hammer and transfer port are all set up. (So, trial and error).
    Remove barrel and check the transfer port, is it restricted with a 6mm grub screw?, No?, it will need one, mine has 3mm hole through centre of restricter.
    Strip and clean hammer and polish/smooth spring ends.
    Strip trigger and reassemble so all sears are inline with each other and the hammer attachment point, this may need shims.
    Mine has a mk1 trigger which i have compared to a mk2 and the mark 1 when set up correctly is better imho.
    Replace hamster, the original is a P.O.S
    Check all stock fit from butt pad, cheek piece to pistol grip, correct, fix and wood filler where needed and seal the wood with walnut oil/wax or whatever you prefer ( the stock on mine was dry and would soak up anything like a sponge ).
    Clean barrel then shoot the rifle for a few thousand shots, clean bore at regular intervals (200-300 shots)
    If it groups good for the first 100 shots then keep going until it goes off ( keep count ) so you know when to clean.
    You also could require some ballistic jelly to catch a shot into, so you can examine the pellet. If the rifling grooves are not totally crisp and even, then shoot pellets into a trap and on occasion say every 15th shot shoot into jelly again. Do this until the grooves become crisp looking on the pellet (this is leading in )...( mine takes 90 shots )
    Then you can shoot it dirty for a long time cause it won't like having a clean bore.
    The stainless steel barrel has a lot of carbon in its mix ( for stainless steel ), so it is hard and takes a heck of a lot of running in.
    Its can also be pellet fussy due to being hard to run the barrel in.
    You will have to test quite a few different pellets to find a good fit for the bore.
    Some will have given up well before all this.
    If you can get around 10mm groups at 55yards your on a winner.
    If you can't, then a new barrel could be an option ( not an original barrel )....but only if you have got everything else sorted.
    If this will be your only rifle then get something else, cause although it has tonnes of potential it will also consume a lot of your life getting there.

TonyF, slippschnitz, Marcevsy and 3 others like this.
  11. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

Wow...thankyou for that in depth to do list if I decide to go for a Tsar. Apart from the obvious most of the tasks are beyond my capabilities, are there persons that would undertake the improvements if needed.

12. fireblade

fireblade Team AirArms

Club:
    Tawd Vale FTC
    Hi mate,
    Unfortunately i don't know anyone who currently works on it.
    Sorry.

13. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Sounds like with that amount of work required to make it half decent, you would be far better spending your money on something else. :cool:

14. Marcevsy

Marcevsy New Member

My thoughts exactly.

15. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Finally the penny drops.;)

16. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    At the risk of repeating myself; where's the fun in that?

Look around any FT shoot, you can count the number of factory standard rifles on the fingers of one finger. If you are going to mod the sh*t out of a rifle, then in my opinion it is better that it be for a good reason, not just because everyone else at the club has a HUMA reg and a Rowan adjustable hamster.

17. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

There may not be any fun in it. But Marcevsy says he's not up to doing it himself, fire blade does not know anyone to do the mods, so he would be better off looking for a well set up secondhand something else. There always seem to be stuff on here for sale thats sorted, that someone is upgrading to the next, new top toy of the moment, to gain a few extra points. Take a look at the recent world champs and see what rifles won the categories,that gives you a good idea whats worth having, then you just need to add heaps of talent to replicate their success. :cool:

Lavant_Lad and madplinker like this.
  18. madplinker

madplinker Active Member

I would love to tinker and customize my rifles and service and polish stuff.
    I was blessed with good looks . Not technical skills lol technical skills of a gorilla and only own two tools a lump hammer and a hack saw.
    So I get my rifles serviced by poeple I know 100 percent know what they are doing and I trust works for me.
    Yes look at what poeple use generally its for a reason if you are very technical minded got a lot of time on your hands and have a tool shed like ed China from wheeler dealers than pick any rifle you desire.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  19. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    A point well made PA, but you have missed mine and then made it yourself.

IF you have the skill and knowledge to mess with the unexploded bomb that is a pcp rifle with 200 bar in the cylinder, and I do, then you can take a badly performing Tzar / M2 and turn it into something special, as my shooting buddy Steve Franklin has done.

IF on the other hand you have not got a clue what you are doing and why, then just following the rest of the sheep will not help you get an accurate rifle... or it might.

I understand the wish to be different, never having been one to follow blindly myself, but sometime it is best just to know what you don't know ("a man's gotta know his limitations") and accept good advice, and your last line is just that.

20. PA410goodshot

PA410goodshot Member

Neil, just been looking at a load of pics from the worlds, the most commonly used rifle seems to be the steyr, also the world champ uses one, followed by the ev2/ftp900 variants then the Anschutz, followed by Walther, Ripley, daystate, and a variety of actions in wonderful stocks. So can we assume, that the steyr is best all round and best to tinker with, or have they just cornered the market, sheep following as you say. :D I don't like messing with them either, would sooner take it to someone, with the knowledge to set it up correctly and there are many well experienced people out there offering that, but there are also a lot of people tinkering, that I would not be happy giving them a plank of wood to plane, never mind dealing with something holding 200 bar + So you have to go on reputation and recommendation, from those in the know. There are a lot of talented people on here, but not everyone knows them, so maybe a list of some sort and their strengths on particular rifles, etc, etc would be a good start. :cool: