Are we to serious ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by 5teve L, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 5teve L

5teve L STOP ! HAMMER TIME !

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Are we (or should it read am I) to serious ?

<WARNING, KINGPLNIKER TYPE THREAD< WARNING >

Been thinking of late that I'm not really enjoying every shoot like I used to, I used to turn up, shoot & have a laugh at all comps.. somewhere along the road in the last year it seems this is getting forgotten,especially on bigger comps where it seems that I'm feeling if I don't score over 55 i'm having a bad day :rolleyes: .
    Has anyone else found this or been through this sort of thing or is it just me ?
    I'm going to try to make an effort from now on to enjoy shoots & stay out of politics (that means keeping my trap shut :D ) like I used to, failing that i'll have to go back to climbing, at least I don't upset anyone doing that. lol.

Steve

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Charlts

Charlts Getting dusty

Yes, now snap out of it you big girl!;)

Next question?

Ryan

3. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Come and do some more Nationals steve;):D

4. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Gutted I missed the last 2 Chris :(
    Looking forward to Quarry though ;)
    Hoping to do all next year though as I think a few of the Sussex lot have got visa's sorted :D

5. Feral

Feral New Member

Visa in hand here for next year :D

6. JAGXKRS

Excellent and having raided Sussex (Only birds & booze no HFT wins yet:D), I hope we get to come down your way as well:D:D:D

7. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Be nice if we could find a venue big enough to hold a National, there is a big Sussex comp in October Chris ;)

8. JAGXKRS

Already on my list mate;):D and that venue is more than big enough:D:D

9. Kingplinker

Kingplinker " Horsham HFT champion 2010 "... apparently...

Steve you have been acting like a tw@t

You have now posted like a tw@t

Next I guess you will be part of that social networking site known as ' twatter ' !

......... welcome to my world :D:D:D

The moment you take any sport too seriously there is a chance that you will stop enjoying it , shooting for scores is a good one - shoot for fun and if a good score comes along then thats a bonus . It's not major secret that I got too involved in this sport and all it brought me was a massive headache which in turn meant I no longer enjoyed HFT , even the banter had sadly gone . :rolleyes:

If someone cheats , let them cheat - I have a lot of bronze badges that I cherish because they were all won in the proper sense of the word !

Don't beat yourself up ( there's a queue of people that will slap you for free anyway Stephen ) :D when your scores drop or you have a bad shoot .

Just remember Steve that no one likes you except Beth .... and she's random anyway so doesn't count :D

The southern Hunters is just around the corner ;)

Dave

10. Kingplinker

PS : YOU OWE ME £3659 for copyright infringement on the sig pic ;) lol

11. Prone Shooter

Prone Shooter New Member

Couldn't agree more Dave. The sport has lost much since I started 10-12 years ago. It has also gained much but only the individual can decide which.

Bob

12. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Did you think about the grade of climb when you used to do it?

13. JAGXKRS

Any improvement on pellets coming back at you is a good thing I would have thought bob:cool:

14. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Sometimes when sport climbing, definatly when leading trad as you really don't want to get crag-fast.. or fall off :D

15. JAGXKRS

Dont want to miss a 15yd 15mm either but even the best do it, well I did'nt but ChrisC and a fair few other top lads did at Basingstoke:D:D:D:D (It was an evil barsteward of a shot mind):D

16. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    I lost the hook on a 4B on my first lead.. i watch the 3rd piece of gear fall out of the crack as i was 10 ft above it placing the 4th, then that fell out when i put the 5th bit in above that... which then fell out as i was looking to put in the 6th. The last peice before all that held, but that was 1/2 way up the face... and the top was fried. It ended up with gear stopping at 60ft, with me 30ft above and 30 ft of solo... i decided then that solo'ing wasn't something i wanted to be pushed into, i was much happier indoors, even on much harder stuff.

I don't think about that at all when shooting... even though, as with climbing i'm devoid of thoughts about 9-5 etc, the technical stuff i get wrapped up in and the performance aspects are now passengers along for the ride. The epiphany came when I won my first open. I didn't feel ready to win when I won my first winter league 2 years before, it was a complete shock... but that open ticked the box nicely. I think i realised that I could shoot to the level I wanted to, and that i couldn't do it every day, but that I could do it now and then when the wind was in the right direction... and knowing that meant the bits in between where I didn't shoot as well as I wanted to didn't matter so much because I knew there were days when I would... and it allowed me to relax and enjoy those days in between even more for what they were.

I think I also learnt that i'm happier shooting what I think is well and perhaps not getting the score I perhaps deserve, than getting a score I don't deserve having shot pants. I used to only respect my score, now with FT and HFT, i just respect my shooting.

I don't have the same feeling in 10m though. That's like sitting an exam, some days i enjoy the test and challenge, some days it feels like an O-Level maths exam in summer when i'm 16. Paper punching is a discipline, and that's quite a test in itself... i only started it to get better at standers... my score is the only hook it has in me... for a while I did wonder where my desire might wander, but I realised about a 18 months ago that FT holds a lot more for me than paper punching, and when I did, all the pressure of performance just seemed to dissapear...later that year I won the open... i honestly wasn't even looking for the win.

17. Ferrets Bueller

Ferrets Bueller New Member

The thing is we are all entering a competition and it is named so beacuse we compete, i go to shoots to do the best i can, if thats a 42/60 or a 57/60 then so be it, i still have a laugh and a piss take no matter what, but i still try to do my best.

18. blackscale

blackscale Member

Easy to let this game get to you, guilty of that lately and no mistake!:rolleyes::D

Don't know what cheating has to do with anything though Dave??.....seems like a pretty random thing to say?............ maybe you can enlighten us??

mike.

19. 5teve L

Club:
    The Oaks & Horsham hawks
    Agreed, I was just talking about taking comps to serious. Seems a few of us in the SiHFT have lost our way & seem only to see the 'precious' at the end.
    I for one am going to try to enjoy the sport again, if not I will go back to climbing.
    Maybe I should try FT...

Rob, I've had gear fall out like that on the way up, not a plesant experience onsight is it. lol. I also had to back climb a 4a HS route about 200ft up once as I took the wrong direction & came to a sheer wall with no holds or gear in Wales.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  20. Kingplinker

Just an example Mike of what gets people annoyed , touching pegs , scrappy score cards , take the shot again - just a general view but I am guilty by association yet again I suppose .

If you re read the post , when I got down it was due to me shooting badly , my health , my kit , people apparently cheating , the weather ... you name it and it pi$$ed me off . Now I don't give a damn what anyone does , thats up to them as I just want to enjoy my shooting .

Dave