FT are march scopes any good

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by coxley, Aug 9, 2019.

1. coxley

coxley New Member

Club:
    redfearns
    after a March scope are they worth the money?

2. sstyle

sstyle Dmitry Morozov

Club:
    NAFT
  3. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Depends who you listen to... pretty much every Championship has been won by one.

4. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    Pretty much every championship has also been won with a big Nikko too Rob, some of them several times.

BDL likes this.
  5. MikeSeago

MikeSeago Sloth like member

Had a Big Nikko which was good but I can genuinely say that I have not had a miss at a comp due to ‘mis-ranging’ since I started using the 8-80 March (Missed lots for other reasons ☹️).
    I find it slightly darker than the BN but glass quality excellent. I shoot everything at 60mag.
    You are welcome to look through mine if you are at The Worlds

6. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    So you would say that the £1800 difference between a Nikko and a March 80 mag is worth it then.

Gary.r likes this.
  7. biwain

biwain Tree bark and paint chipper Champion

Club:
    Newbury
    You get more extras with a ford mondeo and it's faster than a mercedes, but I know what I'd sooner have !!!!!!!

ksts100 likes this.
  8. sstyle

sstyle Dmitry Morozov

Club:
    NAFT
    Nope. MB much faster and has more extras :D

9. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Yes. Did I say they weren't any good though? ;)

10. Tel

Tel Active Member

I have had an 8x80 for nearly a year now, best decision I ever made, predictable, consistent, never miss ranges, dark, light, misty, shot all conditions with it. Absolutely worth every penny, never question it.

steve1000, Darron and NeilM like this.
  11. Evo

Evo SCOUSER and top wheel nicker

Club:
    ByleyFTC, the Dib,Blackbrook
    march :D:D:D:D:D overpriced rubbish, glass is nice but aftersales when something goes wrong is a total joke, are they worth 4 x the cost of a nikko ???? NOPE just ask jack Harris , he will tell you what He prefers and no-one can argue with his results,

would i have one, then the answer is yes BUT only if it was given to me FOC so i could knock my tent pegs in with it :p:p:p:p

12. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    OK, let me put my reviewers hat on here, I have reviewed the 60 mag March and done a brief piece on the 80 mag.

First, the optical and build quality of March scopes is superb and not much else comes close, maybe S&B for build quality with Kahles close behind, but the overall package with a March is excellent.

Of the two models, I found the 80 mag to be a competent rangefinder with a nice shallow depth of field, and I used two different scopes in very different circumstances one in bright light on an open course the other deliberately in dark woodland, both worked perfectly, but not at 80 mag that is just too high a magnification for our use, at 50 to 60 mag rangefinding was accurate and consistent no matter where I pointed the scope.

The 60 mag was more of an issue as a rangefinder, in bright open areas it was fine, in dark woodland it could struggle, sometimes badly. I have had owners say the same thing and others tell me I am talking rubbish (which I may be), but that was what I found with the scope I was testing.

Are March scopes well built? Do they have photographic quality lenses? Is the colour rendition some of the best I have ever seen through a scope? Yes.

Are they worth the money? Only you can decide that, but you need to take a look through a couple before you decide.

Darron likes this.
  13. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    If you are looking for value for money and you are dead serious about your shooting and can handle the weight . then the sightron secondhand is the one . £800 ish . if you want clarity variable mag and lightness . then a good 20=50 lupe at £ 650 ish is the one . if you are innit for the long term and can handle the weight , you want quality and reliability , a 80 mag March is good . if you want the same thing but lighter . the 60 mag could be the one ( that is what i have and use in the summer , cos i find it a bit dark in the winter . old fart ) secondhand for the 80 mag . £2200 ish . 60 mag £ 1700 ish . why buy new . always someone selling up . good luck ??? HOLLY

PS i say secondhand and if you don't like it . sell it on without losing money .

14. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    And a very old EV2 sitting under one too, it's not the scope or the rifle but the shooter.

Most half decent scopes will range as good as the next, its knowing where to put the bloody cross or dot that cuts the business.

Bri

Dale, Gary Martin and NeilM like this.
  15. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Jack Harris, John Costello, Redvers Gallagher, all have several things in common, they young, very fit and have 20/20 vision.
    The scope they use is not the real issue.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Darron, panaman and Spoilt_scorecard like this.
  16. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Neil Mac is as fit as any of those young lads . but bit does not seem to help his scores . mind you he says he is just getting going ??? HOLLY o_O

17. NeilM

NeilM Well-Known Member

Club:
    Mendip & Shebbear
    I'm just getting going Holly, wait until I get up to full speed, I just need to get the batteries charged on me zimmer frame.

18. airborn68

airborn68 Active Member

Club:
    Ponte & Hull & District Ft (secretary)
    I have a 60 mag on my springer and i like it. Yes it moves with temp changes but its predictable, plus you can bracket a 40mm kill at 50y on 40 mag with the FT ret to check if miss ranging. I had a few targets on the black course at the worlds i double checked because they ranged further than they looked.
    If I had the cash I would have another to go on my Lg400 but will probably get a Delta or Sightron.

Lavant_Lad likes this.
  19. coxley

coxley New Member

Club:
    redfearns
    well its ordered 60 mag

steve1000 likes this.
  20. steve1000

steve1000 Member

Club:
    Wendover, North Oxon
    Good choice, I used my 60 last week at Worlds and didn't struggle with the dark woods or miss range any ( once I got my pointer sorted )