Are FT shooters getting parochial.

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Gcos, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Whilst sitting watching the rain come down ,I thought I would just look at the entries for UK shooters competing overseas this year.Bearing in mind that it was generally agreed that NewZealand was far to expensive to attend and that should have bolstered the numbers .

Euskadi. 4 shooters + 3 went AWOL , so cant be counted ?.
    FT. European Championship . None.

Worlds New Zealand .4 I have put this in as a comparison.
    That makes a total of 8 shooters competed overseas this year to include the Worlds .
    Relying on Connor to confirm these facts.
    Now the NEFTA classic attracted 9 overseas shooters.
    Has the attraction for shooting abroad and the spirit of adventure been lost .

2. bionicredhead

bionicredhead Taller than my old man :p

Club:
    B/Gwent
    I believe it comes to cost and how much hassle it is to get your gun on a plane. whilst I would love to do sone shoots abroad, what puts me off is the hassle with airlines and then having to comply with the host countries laws regarding air weapons and the possible need for licenses.

3. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    I believe that not having a common set of rules (which are adhered to!) doesn't help matters.

If you enter an international Golf tournament and then when you get there you find out it's actually going to be Crazy Golf, it doesn't help to foster demand to enter future competitions.

4. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    An excellent description of the current WFTF there Brian! With the exception of Spain, any country that I've travelled to, the concept of FT has been lost in translation.

There are no rules in the WFTF!

5. BDL

BDL Dangerous

Club:
    Blaenau Gwent
    In my short time in FT I'd have to agree, there appears to be differences in the rules throughout, if the sport wants to be taken seriously in the world theatre then there should be one set of rules throughout.

This would mean one world governing body

Bri

6. Lord Long

Lord Long Back after 20 years

How things have changed, when I did my first US open in FL in 89 we just shot at the same targets, Brits using 12ft lb Yanks using whatever power they wanted, was still won by NJ with most Brits getting reasonable scores compared to the Yanks.
    This was very soon after Lockerbie as well, with minimum fuss getting guns thru customs etc.

7. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    European only?

Not for me, but this year the Wftf was too long on a plane.
    Wftf is a week away from the family for me, that's all I want to spend away. Nz or other far flung places need more than a week so they are non starters.

I would love to go shoot in France, but have not had much joy on finding out the rules/ details on permits etc. Looking to go to Portugal next year perhaps.
    Not sure where the other European Ft champs will be in 2015, but if I am not already booked to work and its an option, would go for the trip.
    Hoping to qualify for wftf 2015 as I suspect are many other?

8. Neil

Neil MFTA Winter League Champion 2011 and winner of som

Well, if FT shooters are getting parochial, then someone else is getting my share, because I haven't had any!!

9. PaulD

PaulD I like Feinwerkbau's

Club:
    Tawd Vale FT&ARC
    I've done three Worlds in my short time shooting FT, Hungary, Italy and Germany I've enjoyed them all with Italy being my favourite

10. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Think it's just cost, recession, and timing.

Nz was always going to be a stretch, money or time I doing if have both and wouldn't want it to be a dash in and out for the money. It would probably cost me 4x what South Africa did and for that the Maldives wins over. H being sawn up more times than Debbie McGee over the past few years has meant that forays into foreign lands have been limited.

Looking forward to Euskadi next year and Lithuania.

11. Gcos

Gcos Member

Club:
    Thorn Dell ( RIP )
    Neil ,
    I have got your share , but I intend to give you it the next time we meet up !!!