AR4 Ripper ?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by holly, Dec 22, 2011.

1. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    For anybody with an interest . i thought i might write up little kevs AR4 bull pup which i recently bought off him . saw it in the season at one of the GPs , but i thought no i have enough rifle's . so i did not bother with it . but christmas rolled around and thought's of buying myself something to liven the holiday up grew . well i thought , if i buy it and then after christmas sell it on . that will give me something to do . so i bid little kev for just the action and stock , leaving him with the scope sling and butt hook to sell . i have enough spare scopes and such . rifle arrived and was much as i remember it at the GP . thought i would pull it through and fit my spare scope and butt pad to see how it would shoot . cut a patch down to 2+2 , sprayed it with napier gun cleaner . and began to pull it through . well tight does not come into it , using all of my strength i pulled harder. it went up the barrel in a series of jerks . DERK , DERK , DERK .SNAP .the cord came out . the patch stayed in there . sod it , got a cleaning rod and with lots of oil and very gentle taps . out it came in two pieces , phew . the worry was that the choke was scored . anyway took it down the club on the sunday to try it out . the sun on the range was low and in front , not good . but i managed to get some decent groups with it , to the point i considered putting my S&B on top of it . but then the wife who has said she would like to try FT said " oh i like the look of that " so my old Big Nikko is on it at the mo . will ring it's neck saturday and see just how good it really is with a big mag scope on it . some may ask why bother with an old Ripper , lots of AR5s around . well for those who have never shot one , they are i reckon the best of the Rippers . steel actions , heavy yes , trigger and cocking mech are a bit suspect . specially if you set the trigger to light . reg is not the best . BUT the accuracy from em is really up there with any modern rifle . i stopped shooting my old one cos it was in it's CS1000 stock with a custom shop on top , just to heavy . will let you know how i get on with the Ripper ??? HOLLY
    PS the patch looked like it had been down a mine . took twenty wet , dry patches to get it clean .:)

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Let Neck Wringing Commence .

Took the little booger down the club today for a good session .Big Nikko fitted and zeroed up for 35 yards . no probs . sorted all the ranges and the lifts and commenced grouping ( benched ). very good groups out to 45 yards , opening up towards 50 and 55 yards . average at 50 and 55 yards was between half an inch to three quarters on a ten shot group . not the best i have ever seen . but in cold conditions with a changeable wind , not bad . a better test was to go to our hardest lane ( scary mary ) a full 55 yard target , about 50 foot up a large tree . got it 6 times out of seven . not the best rifle over the chrono though , going between 797 to 782 with 8.4s .but as ever with rippers , the lock time was very good . making it a forgiving rifle on the positionals . better as it is for standers than kneelers , another lifter would not go amiss . if i were shooting it . then a butt hook and old mr S&B would make it a rifle to choose for a big comp . will try some different pellets in and see how it goes . must put some of the die two's that i have gotten hold of in it . merry christmas all ( even connor ) ???HOLLY:):D

3. Littlekev

Littlekev Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    glad it's going well for you. have a good one.

4. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    OK

Cheers little kev . are you gonna make the regional team next year ??? HOLLY:)