Ar2o ft

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by KNIFEMAN, Apr 9, 2012.

1. KNIFEMAN

KNIFEMAN New Member

Club:
    EAST DEVON FT
    Opinions seem to vary about theAR20, the one I had suffered with a noticable shift in point of aim. The one in the pic did also but "cozypom" is rather good at sorting out the tech stuff and he waved his wand over Gary,s AR and now it shoots as it was meant to. Gary is rather good a putting the finishing touch to his rifles and this one is a real nice piece of kit and shoots as good as it looks

Attached Files:

2. SteveC200

SteveC200 Active Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Thats not much of a review. :confused:

3. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Nice picture but there's one thing I don't understand. If the rationale for removing the shroud was to stop poi shift why is there still two points where the shroud meets the barrel? Are the meeting points reamed out so as to eliminate touch altogether?

My AR20 doesn't suffer poi shift at all regardless of where I rest on the hampster, I may be lucky. I chrono'd the rifle yesterday and compared to my AA S400 (very consistent) I had a 10 shot spread within 8fps of high/low. I had to remove the shroud to do it though as with shroud on I was getting up to 200fps difference between shots!! I can't explain just how accurate this thing is when I play my part.

It's a heavy beast but as I'm prone for 90% of the shooting I do then I ain't complaining.

4. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    There is something very wrong if that's not a typo!!

5. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Not a typo! I cacked myself when I got the results so much so I shot off to the range where I put 80 shots (10 x 8) groups all withing 10mm at 35 yards confirming the rifle is behaving perfectly. However, the readings were taken with the shroud on which meant the barrell sits some 80mm away from the chrono. Additionally I have a moderator adapter inserted inside the shroud which I believed to be ffecting the readings. The moment I removed the shroud altogether karma paid me back and brought a big smile to my face.

6. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Looks like we are all coming to the same conclusions that the issue is with the shroud, or more specificly how it is mounted, so allowing any force on the underside of the shroud to lift up the barrel (the fit between the shroud and barrel is tight) hense altering POI. One solution has ben to mount any hampters very close to the mounting point of the shroud, so reducing levering effects, the other to mill away the barrel shroud itself or substancial sections of it (reaming out what is left) so that any movement of the shroud is not affecting the barrel.

7. cozypom

cozypom New Member

Club:
    North Devon Airgunners
    quite simply the barrel is fully floating not touching the shroud, tha original front section wich has been removed on this ar had a oring between the barrel and the shroud !!

8. milek

milek Active Member

Club:
    Nomads
    Yes, mine has the o'ring in place too but as I say, it's unaffected by the shroud/hampster arrangement. I like the look of this one much better than those that have been milled off completely.