AR20 second day out

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Barry, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    So having confirmed all the settings, ranges and zero on the bench at Pete's during the week, took the new toy to my club yesterday. Not a disaster, but not great either - However.... the problems encountered were set into the rig by me! and there's a good bit at the end :)
    To start with, the gun was shooting consistently an inch low at my zero range of 27 yards. The only thing I can think of is that during setup at Pete's, I used one of the bench cushions to rest the gun. Because of the position of the hamster, the rest point was waaaaaaay forward under the casing. It would appear that mine does indeed suffer POI shift if supported in the wrong place. Quick re zero and all was dandy EXCEPT

Marking ranges in indoor light doesn't work and I was ranging somewhere between 5 and 10 yards out on the farther away targets :eek:o :eek:o :eek:o I should know better by now I know :eek:

One of our more skillful shooters was curious about the gun and after everything was put away, had a few shots and made very satisfying clover leafs in paper at 55 yards :D

I'm still thrilled with this cheap little combo. I haven't yet spent 700 quid on it and the chaps discussing the gun all agreed there's no money to be spent on making it shoot any better. If I spend another 300 on some new wood to replace some of the plastic, a few bits of aluminium and an AJP 5 MOA riser rail, I'll still be the right side of a grand for a full FT rig :)

There are a few of these around for sale at the moment. I can't recommend them highly enough as an entry level, non bank account busting start to FT participation

Happy days
    Barry

2. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    U need to cut away the shroud to get rid of poi issues...and remove the o ring...and I best not say what I paid for mine ..don't want to upset anyone:D

3. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Heard of a few of these suffering from POI issues.
    Thank heavens...mine doesn't and i really can't fault it at all.

I am having a custom cheek piece made for mine and a butt hook too.
    The standard cheek piece is ok, but can be improved upon, and it does need a little more by way of height for my stature.
    As for how it shoots though, accuracy, value for cash and shots per charge...100%:)

4. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Keep it to yourself mate.
    I'm still in shock :eek::)

5. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi Lee,
    Now that's what you call 'bling' you'll be popular in the summertime mate.......... LOL.

Nice work there mate.

Regards,
    Lofty.

6. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Afraid word is out.................I know ;)

7. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Bargain of the decade I'm told lol

8. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    I've also sourced bolt replacement kits to change to stainless steel bolts to replace the following: cheek piece, weights,butt hook... Every little helps:D

9. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi Lee,

Bargain of the decade I'm told lol

Understatement mate. Good on you I say.

Cheers,
    Lofty

10. Jinx

Jinx Non member

He took Derren Brown with him mate and put the poor guy selling it into a state of hypnosis, then offered him the shocking figure he accepted :)
    Nice one Lee, A champagne gun for lemonade money mate :D

Stevie.

11. TREV RYN

TREV RYN https://www.neftaonline.org/

skelmanthorpe ,west yorkshire,emley moor ftc
    bargain doesn't begin to cover it jammy begger;);)

12. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Hehe....polished the shroud again! Oh my dark shades are needed..also sourced the air cylinder o rings:D

13. Jinx

Jinx Non member

What pellets ya using in it Lee ?

I use accupells, premiers, and magnums.
    All group really well. Havn't found one that doesn't to be honest !

Stevie.

14. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    AA fields stevie

15. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Not tried them !

I am on pellet testing detail this month.
    Looking for the best 55 yard group with both guns.

Doing well already with the magnums, in fact, i think they are the best all round so far, only down side is, the range needs to be BANG ON due to the weight of them.

Can't shoot the AR at the minute though as it's in bits awaiting some new parts and a few extras that Norris is creating for me. ;)

16. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    Yeah, I collect my butt hook tomorrow, and ive ordered stainless steel bolts for all those on the gun..let the modding begin:D...zero'd it in today with big scope..pellet on pellet:)

17. Jinx

Jinx Non member

It's pellet on pellet at every range mate.
    I am not in a rush with my parts to be honest, got loads on here at the minute so when they are done i will get them fitted etc.

Put up a few pics of the hook when you get it mate. Lofty myself and a few others that have been shooting the AR's for a while now are wanting to see what we can do to personalise them etc as they are becoming more and more popular due to them being super easy to shoot and super accurate. Not to mention the huge shot count per charge.

Having said that though, i am still in awe at my pro target, Without doubt the best gun ever made in my view.
    Loading system, the fact you can still see the pellet when the shuttle is back. The fact that should you fire with the shuttle back it just clicks, inform the marshal and get another go.
    Loving both guns for different reasons. :)

18. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    Great guns but i apears mine might be spitting the pellets out 30fps faster then other times after chroning testing.

19. Jinx

Jinx Non member

How so ?
    What readings are you getting ?

If your pellets are popping out at a different rate it's almost certainly a reg prob not the actual gun.
    Not heard of that happening to one of the AR's before but i may be wrong !

Stevie.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013
  20. Akita

Akita Member

Club:
    Greyhound & Purley Chase
    it goes through periods of doing 790`s then peroids of 30fps higher:eek:o
    the transfer port screw looks screwed in alot recessed inside the action.

Shame as the ease of accuracy is fantastic but the extra 30fps periods makes things hard due to random height in point of impact.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013