AR20 Owners question

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by scutter, Apr 18, 2015.

1. scutter

scutter Aspiring to mediocrity

Club:
    MEMBER OF M.A.D
    Hello chaps,

The Ar20 has been around for a while now and I was wondering iof their are any known problems?

when it came out there were lots of people saying that it was cheap and plasticy and it would break after a few years, but has anyone had any problems?

Thanks

Gary

2. rich

rich Active Member

I've had mine for a year and a half; I bought it second hand and it had been modified by the previous owner and the one before that.

Within a week of getting it I realised it would outshoot my EV2 mark 1 and was a keeper.

Are there issues? Well, the manual says, don't tweak the trigger main sear engagement screw as the factory has done a good job which you won't improve on. Gulp, they are right, if you know what I mean.

It has a double reg; the first reg is intended to cut 300 bar down to 200 bar which is more comfortable for the second reg. Now, I think that is not a good design concept. Regs tend to let by at some time in their lives, and if the first one lets by then the second one sees 300 bar or close to, which is not its design figure. So, I never fill mine much above 200 bar and that gives enough shots anyway.

One day I will make a new grip, as there is not much potential for a thumb-up grip; the main arm of the stock gets in the way.

3. Smudgerii

Smudgerii Member

Had 2, no problems what so ever.

4. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Had mine for 18 months , used week in and week out. No problems at all .

Cheers,
    Lofty

5. john sears

john sears old but not so wise

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Had one for three years now and shooting it competitively every week at national and regional level not one issue :)

6. tillygti6

tillygti6 Tilly's gun stocks

I've not shot mine for a while,but it's been super accurate!

It's did suffer poi shift ,but chopping the shroud off completely sorted it.

I still say it's the best second hand buy out there. Mine owes me next to nothing.
    Triggers nice ,loads of shots, cocking has bedded in nicely.
    I will get a lighter cylinder for it eventually,

they do seem to sell for aLot more now though than when I got mine,
    I don't think I'd pay 500 for one when you can get mpr's for that.
    but I do love mine and no problems.

does anyone make an Ali tail stock for them?

7. rich

rich Active Member

I know you shouldn't use silicon based lubricant on metal to metal surfaces, but I improved the smoothness of the cocking slide no end, by rubbing just the merest hint of silicon grease into the flank sides of the slide.

8. Lee67

Lee67 Dink ! ...****'

Club:
    Emley Moor ftc
    I had one, very accurate and had given me my best scores it ft...shame it used to dump all its air in very cold temps....

9. cheesyleps

cheesyleps New Member

Club:
    None
    I might have to try that. Mine is still a bit of a pig to cock. No idea how much the previous owners used it but I've put over a 1,000 pellets through in the last month. Speaking to other owners, some seem to smoothen naturally, others never do.

Mine had already had the shroud milled off and the barrel/cylinder carbon wrapped. Mine is far more accurate than the wally pulling the trigger except when using JSB Exacts; when it starts doing a shotgun impression.

Downsides are mostly the weight. It carries a lot of weight towards the muzzle and due to the design you can't really mount the hamster very far forward without risking poi change.

Something like the rowan adjustable knee rest would be brilliant for it, but would defeat the point. For me, I like that it is the Aldi rifle. Where air arms are Asda and your steyrs are wait rose there is a perverse pleasure to being able to compete with a rifle costing potentially a tenth of the opponents rifle (I paid 350 for mine recently).

Pay under 400 and they are a bargain.

10. maximus

maximus Non member

Air Arms

I know this is a Hammerali thread, but being as you mentioned it, I think you'll find you've got the air arms and Steyr mixed up. Air arms = Harods, Steyr = Aldi, results in ft and hft speak for themselves.

11. tugg

tugg itchy trigger finger

Club:
    springfield and mad
    no.. Air Arms are more tesco's coz every.... uses them:p