Ar20 ft

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Bullseye basher, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Bullseye basher

Bullseye basher Non member

Hi
    maybe I am behind the times a tad though I cant help wondering why there isn't a lot of chat regarding the Hammerli AR20 FT considering nearly every one who has owned or used one say how good and accurate they are.
    for the price and being an FT Rifle I would have thought there may have been a large topic amongst the forum or perhaps they never stood the test of time for FT shooting.
    what is your views.

2. rich

rich Active Member

There have been a couple of threads on here relatively recently.

3. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    Ar 20

While there is no doubting their accuracy, they are rather crude and basic to use, and they look what they are cheap. Not something to stand back from and admire, thats my take on them FWIW.:)

4. paul4be

paul4be Why do I bother????????

Club:
    Darlington RA
    As Peter said above, very accurate, very consistent. A cracking tool for a job given their second hand price now. I can't think of anything that gives the level of performance, as well as such a high degree of adjustability for fit for £3-400. A bit of tinkering over time in terms of woodwork etc makes a big difference.

5. rich

rich Active Member

No sin at all in having pride of ownership of fine equipment. I have a gold Omega watch but the ugly Seiko keeps better time.

I'm impressed with the AR20, having originally been quite dismissive. The rattle of the cocking lever is one thing that irritates but it's not that hard to fix.

If the rifle lands a pellet under the centre of the crosshairs what more function can you ask of it?

6. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    ...to land them on the centre of the crosshair :D

7. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    I have one and can't fault it. True their looks are in the 'Beauty in the eye of the beholder' group but the performance is first class.

According to the review in 'Airgunner' Summer 2013 edition these guns actually share some components from other Walther guns, as Hammerli comes under the Walther banner now. Quote ' The truth is, a lot of the parts from Walther's top of the line rifles are also found in the AR20' Unquote.
    The gun is functional and basicically does the job that it was intended for. The fact that it is of a 'modular' build allows the end user to customise as they want to relatively simply.

Another point made in the same article was that the gun was in the authors opinion under priced and as such was deemed by many to be not trustworthy, he goes on to say that if the price was pitched at about £1000 then more would have sold. I'm not sure I'd agree to that price tag but do agree that it was possibly underpriced at £600 when it came out.

As said by Rich, it may not be pretty but looks don't put the pellet on the target.

Cheers,
    Lofty

Attached Files:

8. Bullseye basher

( they are rather crude and basic to use, and they look what they are cheap. Not something to stand back from and admire )

from what I have seen of the few that has been shown there is quite a lot of work and effort gone into producing a well usable rifle and even after customizing them they are still not near the price of the not more accurate top price rifles, after all you don't expect thing's to last just because it cost the earth.

I wonder how many steyr rifles for example are without fault.

9. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni

I was quite lucky with mine, as I was working in an precision engineering company and they milled out the shroud for me. Only took the guy 15 mins to do and cost me zip.:)
    If it's no good I have a complete spare shroud so I can put the gun back to standard trim.

The barrel has carbon wrap, cost me a whole £5 inc P&P from evilbay and the custom butt hook made by a STB member. The air stripper is a UK Neil one found on the evilbay at a bargain price and was one of the reasons for having the shroud milled out, that and I just like to have a fully floating barrel.

Have to say as well that even when I had the full shroud on I never had any POI shift that some people seemed to encounter.

A lot of Walther stock parts will fit directly to the chassis as will match triggers as the trigger bar is standard.

So far the results are great, the lock time of the AR is really quick and it's mean on air usage as well.

Next hope to change the cylinder for a lighter one, either Walther ( it's those interchangable parts again !) or a custom Titanium one with QF.

Cheers,
    Lofty

10. Jon

Jon Member

The only common part I could find is the steel cylinder as fitted to the superceded LG300/Dominator. No they wont fit each other different threads on the reg so just the tube and end plug/guage.
    Barrel?
    No other parts except off the shelf O rings.

Theyre just cheaply made throughout and will need sorting.
    S/h value should tell you something £300 ish

11. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Thought the junior ali cylinder will fit will it not ? as they are advertised on German websites for the AR20's

Link - http://www.sportwaffen-schneider.de/product_info.php/products_id/24762

The LG300 Walther pistol grips and cheek pieces will also fit...
    http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shooting/Walther-Grip-laminated-wood-right-blue-beige

As for the second hand value they were only £600 new ! although BAR have / had one on their site s/h for £440 and it's been partialy modded ( no shroud)...
    http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Secondhand&SubCat=Secondhand Rifles&Product=4578

It's just my opinion anyway, and these guns will always have their detracors.

I'm happy with mine.

Cheers,
    Lofty

12. Jinx

Jinx Non member

I have mine here and am happy with it for sure.
    Loads of shots per charge and VERY accurate indeed.

Great guns for the money new or second hand and easy to work on.
    I really can't fault mine at all.

13. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Nice pic of your AR Lofty,
    Liking the new parts :)
    Mr Norris is now tampering with turning all that i own blue :D
    so looking forward to sorting that in the new year.

14. Lofty

Lofty Member

Club:
    Iceni
    Hi,
    Yep Norris turns out some excellent work :):):) may just have to see him about getting the shroud done in blue or maybe red , got to see how much she leaves after the sales first though !!!

Cheers,
    Lofty

15. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Mines capable of more than I ever will be :rolleyes:

16. Bullseye basher

what do you mean when you say easy to work on! are you referring to customizing.

17. Bullseye basher

why if these Rifles are as good as you members say they are we see very little of them in many Disciplines.
    is this Rifle still produced today other than second user.

18. Lavant_Lad

Lavant_Lad Old Git.

Club:
    Redfearns FTC. & Steve Smith's Dinnington.
    They are still in full production and available from Blackpool Air Rifles and several other outlets.

19. Jinx

Jinx Non member

Easy to work on.
    IE. Strip down, replace parts, seals etc, service and so on.
    Doesn't have to go back to the factory where it was made should something go wrong.

customizing is usually a cosmetic or comfort thing.

20. Barry

Barry Member

Club:
    Iceni Marksmen
    Your guess is as good as ours, but the answer has already been alluded to in this thread. They only cost £600.00 new. There's a consensus that folks feel that cheap can't be good, so the majority have ignored them. There may also be some lack of confidence as to longevity and reliability, they really haven't been about for long enough to establish either.

I read the same test as Lofty, the tester also commented that he thought Walther had shot themselves in the foot pitching this gun at the price point, I think that comment would hold more water if they'd priced it around £800.00. We might have seen a few more around too :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, they're 'kin heavy as well.